Cerwin Vega speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts?

I still remember how amazingly bass-y the red-rimmed Vegas of the 80s were. How are they even today?

Might get an old school stereo sometime this year. Thinking Akai 4x100 (RMS) amp.. Sanyo receiver. And Cerwin Vega D-series.. I think they had the 12" woofer? .. Curious as to our collective thought on Cerwin-Vega. It seems some dislike them. Not sure why..

And I know Klipsch are amazing audio speakers. I liked (old, pre-Harman Kardon) JBL too. Bose? PRICEY... though I remember the Acoustimass 7.

I have a set of 12 inch Cerwin Vega subs in a box sitting in storage. Had them for many years but haven't used them in over 10 years or more. Not into the pounding base like I used to be.

I nuked my D3's and ended up re-sub'ing them with some higher power handling Bravox units. They are "OK" speakers. I'm thinking about building my own cabinets now, since about the only thing left in my CV's that are CV are the crossovers and the mid-range
21.gif

I have a huge horn loaded Cerwin Vega subwoofer cabinet in unison with my Electro Voice Horn cabinets. Wired to an old school "monster receiver" from the 70s. Old school audio or professional/commercial grade is the only way to go imo :^)

I think the last time I saw Cervin Vega in retail was the late 90's. I worry that if they are still around today that it is just a name and their engineers are long gone.

JBL is still around and they make great car audio subwoofer. Awesome quality for the price too. I use their very small 8" in my small car and nothing comes close for the small sealed (.3 cu/ft) enclosure it's in.

These days audiophilia is changing and surprisingly cheaper for what you get. I used to spend a lot on speakers and amps, but now I can spend nearly 1/5 on simple DAC + headphones + headphone amp and get better enjoyment and detail.

I have a pair of AT-15's as a part of my home theater surround sound system. When I put on Star Wars or Indiana Jones, people are stunned at the "wall of sound" they put out.

Still have a pair of RE-30's that are 12" 3 ways that are still hard to compare anything else. I have yet to hear anything at a consumer level that can beat them within reason. They need cabinets rebuilt but components are still good and also need a 4 ohm amp which are not that easy to find.

Is JBL still the pro/commercial grade James B Lansing stuff,or has it gone Walmart/Best Buy mass-fi?

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Still have a pair of RE-30's that are 12" 3 ways that are still hard to compare anything else. I have yet to hear anything at a consumer level that can beat them within reason. They need cabinets rebuilt but components are still good and also need a 4 ohm amp which are not that easy to find.
Most good solid state amps are good down to 2 ohms.

Unless you are thumpa crazy, the best money on a speaker system rebuild is spent on high grade mids and tweeters, and they come in standard sizes. Just get yourself a nice Parts Express catalog, free from their site...Parts Express.com.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: spk2000
Most good solid state amps are good down to 2 ohms.

That depends...on a lot and what your definition of "most good" is. While it only seems like 2 Ohms, you just halved the impedance. 8 Ohms to 4 Ohms is one thing, going half again to 2, depending on inductive & capacitance reactances, will really heat the heat-sinks and may turn your amplifier into an oscillator!

Unless you are an audio engineer, it's difficult to get the "punch" of CV speakers from a sat/sub system.

I'll never claim that Cerwin Vega speakers are the worlds best, or that they are even "good" by today's standards. However, I will state that it's difficult to get an audio system today that can achieve rock concert sound pressure levels AND full frequency response with no holes, AND good transient response.

I've been toying with audio forever. I like it loud, punchy and tight. I prefer sealed speakers (a personal preference) and I like the drums to have kick. Not just the bass drum either. All of them.

My current Polk RT9's and 12 inch subs would seem (on paper) to be able to achieve what I want. But, in reality, I have low (subwoofer produced) bass and minimal mid bass punch. Sounds like it has a big hole, right where the Cerwin Vega's would be shining.

Not my system, but similar. That system, will shake the walls. However, the rock-concert punch of a drum solo devolves into dulled deep thumps with no snap. A nice, inexpensive set of CV speakers is much more satisfying to me.

And, before people make all sorts of claims about CV speakers being bass heavy, that's hardly true. Subwoofers make that deep bass.

SAM_1391.jpg

Last edited:
The above setup needs a bigger TV.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet
My current Polk RT9's and 12 inch subs would seem (on paper) to be able to achieve what I want. But, in reality, I have low (subwoofer produced) bass and minimal mid bass punch. Sounds like it has a big hole, right where the Cerwin Vega's would be shining.

That's the general problem with with using separate subs. It is extremely difficult to mate them seamlessly together with your main speakers so that some frequencies don't overlap or that you don't end up with frequency gaps/dips. You can of course tinker with room EQ and other gizmos to try to even things out, but it's easier said than done in most cases. It's OK for home theater/movies, but for music only,I would tend to prefer just large full size speakers and skip the subs, if possible. Alas, most of us don't want or are able to have separate setups, one for music, and another for movies.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Is JBL still the pro/commercial grade James B Lansing stuff,or has it gone Walmart/Best Buy mass-fi?

They appear to be both. I see their ads for their headphones that compete with Beats. I haven't heard them. I don't expect much out of them. I fear they are Best Buy consumer grade fashion items.

I did hear their Bluetooth JBL Flip speaker. Ample power, but waay to much bass. Very solid though. Probably one of the best built for the $50 range. Sounds great in the back yard, but indoors or in the garage the bass is overwhelms the voice.

The good news is they still have engineers that know their sht. Several podcasts on Youtube had Harmon/JBL engineers as guests and their knowledge/experience is vast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Unless you are an audio engineer, it's difficult to get the "punch" of CV speakers from a sat/sub system.

The PUNCH you're referring to is dub'd the west-coast sound. CV's and JBL's as well as others of the time were known for it. Heavy woofers in a punchy vented alignment. A very fond rememberance of times gone by: Guys and their big stereos! In contrast, Advent's were east coast: moderate woofers in an acoustical (sealed) alignment.

Re: Sat/Sub combinations...phase & polarity are important here as the LAST thing you want is to spend $$$ for a big sub, bring it home, install it and find it wanting: You've taken up living-room-real-estate too. To put it in a nutshell....well it's a bit tough to do that. The easiest way to explain it is using a sine wave. 50% of it is "positive" and the other half is "negative" If you add another sine wave to it at the same freq, but flipped in polarity such that one goes positive at the same time as the other goes negative, they'll cancel and you'll be left with nothing, right? They'd be 180 degrees "out of phase".

If you listened to just one, then the other, you couldn't tell them apart. However, play both at the same time, you'd hear nothing.

Without going into too much detail, the active filters used in nearly all separate subs, may or may not cause the same sine wave fed into it to be the same polarity coming out of your other speakers....it may be flipped. The cheap units will only allow you to choose between 0 or 180degrees. The better ones will allow you to continuosly vary the phase to suit only what's needed.

An interesting experiment anyone can do is to reverse the leads on one speaker only: flip the wires so that now red or positive is connected to the black speaker terminal and black is connected to red. Sit down in your chair and have a listen for awhile, then flip it back. What's different about the sound?

With one and only one flipped, bring them very close together, side-by-side for a listen. Then turn them so they face each other and bring them within an inch of each other. What do you hear? What frequencies are left? This is an aural example of phase cancellation or polarity reversal.

Something similar is going on or can be going on when you bring in another sub, that depending upon its filter network and it's polarity, might "oppose" the bass/mid-bass/low midrange of your existing speakers. This results in the "thin, hollow, weak, flimsy" bass.

To further complicate matters, we invoke surround sound, THX, and the "sub-out" connector on all modern multi-channel surround-sound receivers. No wonder the general public is confused.....the audio game has really changed for baby boomers.

This is why you're not happy with your set-up Cujet. You're not alone either. And I'll agree it's far simpler to use big old speakers. Another annoying problem with a single large sub is that where it sounds the best for where you usually sit, might not be appropriate! You'd like it to perform best where you put it. Problem is the long wavelengths of the first few octaves of bass are interacting with your room and it's not able to tell you where it will work the best: You have to move it around and listen. Now we get into room modes of open floorplan houses that are in vogue and it gets really complicated. You notice in books and many audio sites, this is explained with a nice, neat rectangular room......the kind most of us grew up in. Our homes today though don't look anything like that, nor those nice pictures in the book. Thus the fad of audio + video in its own room = home theater! We're back to walls again...go figure.

I'm out of time.....

I'll never claim that Cerwin Vega speakers are the worlds best, or that they are even "good" by today's standards. However, I will state that it's difficult to get an audio system today that can achieve rock concert sound pressure levels AND full frequency response with no holes, AND good transient response.

I've been toying with audio forever. I like it loud, punchy and tight. I prefer sealed speakers (a personal preference) and I like the drums to have kick. Not just the bass drum either. All of them.

Not my system, but similar. That system, will shake the walls. However, the rock-concert punch of a drum solo devolves into dulled deep thumps with no snap. A nice, inexpensive set of CV speakers is much more satisfying to me.

And, before people make all sorts of claims about CV speakers being bass heavy, that's hardly true. Subwoofers make that deep bass.

Me,I have to have horns and huge woofers. Imo,that's the only way to get the proper sound if you listen to rock music. My current setup is only two speakers (a left and right). Cabinets are almost 6 ft tall with an Electro Voice tweeter horn and midrange horn in each,with a 15 inch Frazier accordian surround woofer (I prefer those over foam surround). Subwoofer is a Cerwin Vega horn loaded cabinet with a 15 inch woofer.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Me,I have to have horns and huge woofers. Imo,that's the only way to get the proper sound if you listen to rock music. My current setup is only two speakers (a left and right). Cabinets are almost 6 ft tall with an Electro Voice tweeter horn and midrange horn in each,with a 15 inch Frazier accordian surround woofer (I prefer those over foam surround). Subwoofer is a Cerwin Vega horn loaded cabinet with a 15 inch woofer.

Somewhat similar to mine, though my towers are smaller. I have some Bravox DVC woofers in my old Cerwin Vega D3 cabinets with McIntosh tweeters. My sub is an old McIntosh walnut cabinet with a Bravox 12" EDX competition sub (sealed) fed by a Yorkville 3000, which can feed it 1200W of power continuously if needed. The bass reproduction is incredible and the system plays my type of music very well, which is all I need it to do
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back