2000 Corolla sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2000 corolla with 177000 KM, consumes oil about 1qt/4000 KM. Checking engine light has been on for 3 years, having engine misfire code. It run on dino oil before, just started PP last 2 OCI (7000KM OCI city driving).
I applied 2 bottle of redline si-1 in last six month. It got more power every time.
Any ideas on how to deal with sludge and checking engine light? Any suggestion would be really appreciated. Thanks
2015010111_ba4a3723d4b6d0fd9847xCydI6bnlIDc.jpg

What are the codes that triggered the CEL?

I read a lot of good things about Rislone lately, I'd give that a crack at cleaning it up. You can post pictures of the progress which would be beneficial to a lot of members here.

Stay with the PP, don't let the oil level get low - it will clean up on it's own in time. For the check engine light - either take it to a dealer or an auto parts stores. Many parts stores like Autozone here in the states will check the code from the CEL for free...and at least point you in the right direction from there. Many times it's just a bad or ill fitting gas cap.

Did you scrape off the sludge? Toyota's are know for having black wrinkle-paint covered baffles under the valve covers, and I think everyone would ask if what you scraped off was sludge or did it flake off like paint would.

Given the improved performance seen with SI-1, I'd say that this Toyota was not treated very well (not an accusation). The simplest course of action may be some shorter change intervals with a good HDEO or plain old PYB. The PP you're using is also a good choice, but on the expensive side for shorter intervals. Drop to 4-4.5K kilometer intervals and see if the filter starts catching anything.

Engine misfire code usually simply means worn spark plugs, needs new ones.
As for the engine sludge, just use an engine flush, the kind where you idle the engine for 5 minutes then do an oil change. Walmart or autoparts stores sell that kind. Cars run ok with some sludge built up, and a gradual cleaning, using the easy engine flush method, followed by a couple of oil changes every 3 months, is about all you need to worry about. Then change your oil every 6 months (conventional oil) or 1 year (full synthetic oil), and you're back to normal.

All the spark plugs have been replaced, and tuned up the engine. Engine misfire code still on.

Originally Posted By: mymdx
All the spark plugs have been replaced, and tuned up the engine. Engine misfire code still on.
It might need injectors. For the sludge I would change the Pennzoil Platinum every 5k km or use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle and change every 5k km.

Have the wires been replaced? It is overdue, on age.

Toyotas are prone to varnish build-up on the oil baffle. I wouldn't scrape it off. It's completely harmless.

Although it looks like you have some varnish past the baffle as well. I wouldn't go too crazy trying to clean it up though.

For the CEL you should get those codes read. Wires is a good guess though.

e-test???

Emission test. We have one in Ontario.

Your misfire is probably ignition related and replacement of the related items should fix it.

I would not say yes/no for sludge until you pull a valve cover. Looking down the oil fill cap hole is not a good way to determine if there is sludge.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Where did you get Redline Si-1 in Canada BTW? I can't find it anywhere.

Canadian Tire used to stock it.

e-test???

You have to get that test in order to get the ministry of transport sticker for your license plate.
The check engine light you say has been on for three years would be an automatic fail for the test.
It has to be fixed first before you can get the sticker.
Please tell me you have insurance on the car....

If your ignition checks out I'd do a compression check. You might have burned a valve for example.

I wouldn't waste good oil on it while it's misfiring.

Most common failure point for a misfire at that mileage/age with a Toyota, IME is coil pack.

- Read the code.
- If it is a specific cylinder misfire, swap the coil pack with another cylinder.
- Clear the codes.
- See if the code moves to the new cylinder

I agree that the baffle is not the way to diagnose sludge on a Toyota. They can look like that in a normal engine. The photo isn't clear fully what the whole condition inside the valve cover is, but what is visible doesn't ask for anything other than a good quality oil changed in accordance with the usage of the vehicle - time/mileage/short trip vs. long, etc.

My 2000 corolla with 177000 KM, consumes oil about 1qt/4000 KM. Checking engine light has been on for 3 years, having engine misfire code. It run on dino oil before, just started PP last 2 OCI (7000KM OCI city driving).
I applied 2 bottle of redline si-1 in last six month. It got more power every time.
Any ideas on how to deal with sludge and checking engine light? Any suggestion would be really appreciated. Thanks
2015010111_ba4a3723d4b6d0fd9847xCydI6bnlIDc.jpg

So much going on here in one post WOW.
First the misfire. When was last tuned up last, new plugs, wires PCV, filters? What are the codes?
Has it had a misfire code for 3 years? if so the cat might be in the bucket.

Using the SI-1 has probably cleaned the injectors which would be dirty after 100K+ (its normal)

The sludge. In the picture it looks like you might have scraped the black coating away mistakenly thinking its sludge, i cant tell. Pop the valve cover for a better look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back