TDI Injectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 Jetta TDI has 271,000 miles and blows a healthy amount of black smoke when accelerating on the interstate in 5th gear. I do not not believe the previous owner ever had the nozzles or injectors replaced. At this mileage, should I replace both of these parts or can I get away with just replacing the nozzles?

Clean the intake while you are at it. They get a pretty good amount of build up in the intake ports and with an unknown maintenance history, I'd pull the intake and clean it. It takes a few hours and the cost is cheap if you do it yourself.

Having a new EGR valve and intake manifold installed when the timing belt is changed next week. Haven't deciding if I'm going to hang on to old parts for future swap or sell on eBay. I've been told the intake is less prone to clogging with ULSD.

What I would do is determine if your tdi can run off of lubro moly diesel purge. That product is specifically designed to be run straight, to clean injectors.

You can give that a try, it may do well - likely will.

That said, after all those miles, mechanical injectors can show some imbalance, so it may be worth getting them pop tested and balanced.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What I would do is determine if your tdi can run off of lubro moly diesel purge. That product is specifically designed to be run straight, to clean injectors.

That said, after all those miles, mechanical injectors can show some imbalance, so it may be worth getting them pop tested and balanced.

I'm new to TDIs so I want to make sure I have this right: I can have my current injectors pop tested and calibrated and just install new nozzles?

I did the direct purge, but with power service diesel Kleen instead of liquid moly. Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: outoforder
Having a new EGR valve and intake manifold installed when the timing belt is changed next week. Haven't deciding if I'm going to hang on to old parts for future swap or sell on eBay. I've been told the intake is less prone to clogging with ULSD.

The only thing that will reduce the build up is lowering the EGR flow and installing a catch can.

The intake manifold is a cast aluminum piece so definitely hold onto it. The EGR's generally leak from their weep hole and eventually become inoperative so if yours works then hang onto it too. Clean them, preserve them, and swap them out at 60,000 mile intervals.

There's a guy on the TDIClub that sells Bosio nozzles/injectors and also overhauls OEM injectors. His name there is Drivbiwire. I think his e-mail is [email protected]. He might be able to give you some information about what direction to take.

I would recommend a can of Gumout multi system tune up in the fuel.

I ran that through our tractor and have noticed the exhaust looking a tad cleaner under load.

first time I have ever noticed a difference with a cleaner. and I have given it the lubro moly cleaner straight by filling a fuel filter.

So thumbs way up for the new gumout stuff

my .02

Last edited:

I'm new to TDIs so I want to make sure I have this right: I can have my current injectors pop tested and calibrated and just install new nozzles?

I did the direct purge, but with power service diesel Kleen instead of liquid moly. Thoughts?

Diesel purge is its own kind of product AFAIK. Were you able to run ONLY off of diesel Kleen? If so, it may be similar...

I don't know what year your TDI is, and what the injection type is, but typically, yes, new nozzles and pop/balancing should be all thats needed, the rest of it should be a heavy metal item.

Diesel purge is its own kind of product AFAIK. Were you able to run ONLY off of diesel Kleen? If so, it may be similar...

I don't know what year your TDI is, and what the injection type is, but typically, yes, new nozzles and pop/balancing should be all thats needed, the rest of it should be a heavy metal item.

It is a 2003 Jetta with ALH engine.

Power Service is a tank additive, grey for a cetane boost, white for anti-gel and slight cetane boost.

Diesel Purge is a product Lubromoly sells to run straight through the injection pump. All the products are mostly ULSD to a point however Diesel Purge has a lot more cleaning potential thus why you run it straight and bypass the fuel from the tank.

TDIclub.com has an extensive write up this process.

It is good you are keeping the old intake & EGR Valve. Clean them and keep them handy again all this info is at TDIclub.com

Considering you are doing this & the timing belt I can bet you are already reading the wealth of info there.

The injector bodies do not need to be replaced unless they are physically damaged some how. New nozzles will give you power boost as well as an economy boost. This is especially true if you upgrade slightly which isn't a lot of money if you are considering replacing the nozzles anyway.

Just one site to visit.
Nozzles

As long as your stock bodies are free of damage I can't see any reason you would need to replace them. If they can't be calibrated when replacing the nozzles you would find out then anyway. Most shops have good spares on hand just for this purpose.

It is a good habit to run a diesel purge every year because the quality of fuel varies a lot in the US.

As far as soot buildup and ULSD it is still a hot debated topic. I cleaned my manifold at 100k and while bad it wasn't horrible. I didn't really get a huge economy boost but I did recover a few MPG.

Mine was mostly due to LSD and IMO the EGR cooler. It was a short tripped winter car sometime in it's life. EGR with no cooler which is what I did after the cleaning caused a slight dusting of soot in the intake but kept my MIL lamp off which please the county I lived in.

Crankcase vapors again can contribute to it but the worst offender was LSD, if you are using proper oil and changing at a proper interval and not having excessive blow-by it shouldn't be an issue. Of course this all counts on driving the car and not short tripping it or lugging.

A big point if a manual is to shift no later than 3000rpms when warm, 2500 if really cold until it warms up. The engine needs to work it is not a machine that can put in the city all day. For that buy a Corolla. Automatics tend to take care on themselves well enough.

Mostly anything you could ask here has been asked at TDIclub.com 1000 times over so go there and get ready to read.
grin.gif

Good Luck

Edit: I should note that I previously also owned a 2000 TDI which is the car I am referring too. The 2004 BEW engine is a whole 'nother animal lol

Last edited:
My 2003 Jetta TDI has 271,000 miles and blows a healthy amount of black smoke when accelerating on the interstate in 5th gear. I do not not believe the previous owner ever had the nozzles or injectors replaced. At this mileage, should I replace both of these parts or can I get away with just replacing the nozzles?

You can just go nozzles only.

If you're near Marysville, I would consider going to:
http://www.jonsautocare.com/

It's been a while for me talking about nozzles.... but, many people go straight to 205 micron nozzles, for a performance increase and if needed a small IQ adjustment.
http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-3/s520%2Cinjection%2Ccalibration%2CSPRINT%2C520%2C-dsh-%2Cwith%2Cinjection%2Ccalibratioon/Detail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back