Backup parking sensors - worth the installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of adding one of the aftermarket backup or rear parking sensor sytems to one of my old cars. This is the system that has 4 sensors that you mount in the rear bumper and it turns on when you put the car in reverse. A combination bell and LED light panel comes on as you get within a few feet of an object which is suppose to help alert the driver.

I don't think I need it (being the outstanding driver that I am
cool.gif
); but I thought it might be of help to my wife and daughter who also drive the car. For those of you who have experienced these ultrasound sensors in a newer car or aftermarket, do you think they are something that are worthwhile or is it just another electronic gizmo?

I have come to really appreciate the sensors on my wife's Windstar; newer cars have such lousy rear vision; it's the one thing I dislike about the '99 Honda in my sig. Speaking of that, what device are you considering?
Kevin

I can tell just by looking, so I haven't gotten any use out of them. Though for someone who has a hard time judging distance, if they take it slow enough, the things could be some help.

The ones on my car will start beeping like crazy and flashing all three LED's (two yellow, one red) once it's within a foot of an object/wall. For farther distances, it lights up one or two yellow LED's and beeps slower. It also doesn't work above 5mph, and I usually easily exceed that except in crowded parking areas.

They're definitely worth it. We've been saved a couple of times, in car parks that have very low bollards which are difficult to see. The alarm screams, and trust me, you hit the brakes real quick! I wouldn't be without them, and a reversing camera as well. When I drive a work vehicle without either sensors or a camera, I feel a bit lost!

I have Parktronic on my car which has sensors front and rear. It's pretty neat, have them on the front and rear. Only annoying thing is having to shut them off going through a car wash because it goes crazy when the brushes get close to the car. Basically allows you to park without tapping either the front or rear bumper.

People today depend on technology far to much. No car today needs back up or parking sensors. How about learning to drive and handle the car like people use to do back in the day.
I back 53 foot trailers all day with no sensors and never hit anything I'm not supposed to. Surly folks should be able to back a small or even large car or truck with out the help sensors.

Turn in your man card....LOL

In the old days, you could actually see where the front or rear bumpers were. Now with aero shapes, it's practically impossible to see where the tail or front of the car actually is, I hate it when people use the braille method for parking. Trucks have way better mirrors than cars. No need to turn in any man card, I use to laugh when people couldn't parallel park, now it's so common I just take pity on them.

Dude! It is a car! No car/truck/SUV made today is hard to park. LOL. Parking/backing sensors are gimmicks.

No. If your wife and/or children have that much trouble backing, take them out to an empty parking lot some weekend and let them practice. If, after practicing for a while they still can't use their mirrors or judge the distance, then they either need to drive in a manner that they never need to back up, drive a vehicle that they can back up, or not drive at all.

It's bad enough that cars beep when you put the key in, turn the lights on, do t wear a seatbelt etc, it's so annoying!
To put up with more beeping just because you're too lazy to use your mirrors or turn your head is insane! How many years have cars reversed silently? How long have we used our special awareness?
If you need a beep to help you reverse you shouldn't even be driving imo

I installed a $20 kit in my MiLs corolla. Work well after a year. I got the one that has arrows with beeps.

For my wifes car I installed a factory style rear view camera.

For all the haters I'm guess they can back up to a trailer and not have issues dropping it onto the ball? First time, every time?

No issues seeing in the dark? Never made a mistake either? Never had something dart in behind you?

I'm all for driver training but sometimes I wonder what you guys would have said when four wheel braking started to become popular.

I've contemplated getting a camera for my truck, mostly for backing up to trailers. Would beat having to jump in and out to get it lined up. Most of the time though I feel just fine; my Jetta has great rearward visibility, while my Camry is aweful. But since getting my truck I've started using my review mirrors heavily--and there's the rub: anything runs out behind me won't get seen, and honestly, once I start moving backwards I tend to fixate on one mirror, not both--which is bad when making a 90 degree turn.

Practice is always good. At our house we always back into our driveway.

Coworker told me his secret for parking his truck: he backs into all parking spots. I have to give that a try, as I've yet to pull into a spot properly.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
People today depend on technology far to much. No car today needs back up or parking sensors. How about learning to drive and handle the car like people use to do back in the day.

People haven't been backing into things since the begining of time? pretty sure I've seen curb feelers on only old cars, and "parking by braille" is an old joke.

BEST WAY I EVER LEARNED... was drivers Ed. It was awesome. they'd put a 1"x1" stick in an orange cone. That was a "car". we did parking, straight and parallel, and the goal was to touch the stick but not knock the cone over. This was cool. by the time you hit the stick, it's already tipping away from you and has the cone off-balance. so the cone is very ready to fall. You HAD to touch the stick. And you could NOT tip the cone over. I learned the boundaries of the vehicle better that way than any other. I plan to take my daughter out and do this drill with her, then my son.

My truck is the hardest vehicle I've ever had to back up. You wouldn't think it-- trucks being so square are usually some of the simplist. But for some reason mine has never been natural. my back window is a little smaller and the tailgate is pretty tall. I generally see the top 1/2 of the windshield of the car I'm backing up to.

So I have to plan ahead. I check where the other vehicle is relative to the white line before I start to pull in. Then I back up to where I know the line to be. I know the line is 3' behind the center of my back wheels. yep, sometimes my head comes out the window to sight it. I also use reflections in the cars next to me, or shadows between bumpers to show me the size of the gap. At work, I know that the dividing lines to my L+R are the same length as I am--- so if I line up on the front of the line, the bumper is at the back line.

I can and do parallel park it, even downtown. But I'm not as precise as quickly as I can be in a small car. I may think I'm about to touch, but I've got 18". It's hard to remember where the bumper is when I can't see the the hood.

My wife and kids generally don't drive it--- it's hard to park.

It gets worse in camping season. did I leave the ball in? How much longer is that? (I generally don't have it in unless towing, BUT let's say it's a grocery run right before pulling out.... there's another 9" of pokey steel back there).

Still, the only reason I thought of putting a camera in is to sight the tow ball. I've thought about it -- neat tech, could be kinda handy.... but I decided I'd rather take my time, go slow, and line up the markers. I feel if I'm gonna drive it, I need to be competent enough to drive it.

I think for some cars they are excellent. Many cars have horrid visibility.

My previous house had a double 45degree angle driveway to get out of the garage. Backing up was terrible when I had a rental edge.

I couldn't tell where the rear was to within the 1-2ft necessary to negotiate the turns.. being a 2 car garage stuck behind a house with a 1 car wide driveway and a deck.

Now my elantra touring (small wagon) or either forester.. No need for any devices I can tell where it is to within 6" or so.

I do admit that the standard backup camera on the 2015 is nice for tight parallel parking lets me get within a few inches so you can park perfectly on first try.

Also its much easier to backup a 53ft trailer than many short tongue car trailers.

Last edited:
Well said! I missed the back up sensors on the 2012 F150 4x4 Crew cab when hooking to my 16 ft trailer. The new truck I have now, a crew cab Ford, has the sensors and a camera.....makes hooking to the trailer a breeze.

No morer jumping in and out of the vehicle, backing up little by little until you get the ball lined up.

For the record, I have been driving for 46 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I back 53 foot trailers all day with no sensors and never hit anything I'm not supposed to. Surly folks should be able to back a small or even large car or truck with out the help sensors.

Turn in your man card....LOL

I agree everyone should be able to back a car without electronic aids. Being dependent on them to park would be a problem if they failed. But I have also seen how helpful they can be. I can back a 53 foot trailer in a space not much wider than the trailer and stop gently against the dock all day with the switcher truck. I drive it every day and it has Mirrors set up for driving as well as backing. Most newer cars, like My friends newer Taurus, have poor rear visibility. I get nervous backing that thing into any spot. If he had a back up camera that would make a difference. The tiny blind spot mirrors do help a little. I would rather have a hood set of mirrors than a camera or sensors. I also don't care for the wide front A pillars on that car as well. I feel like I have 2 blind spots in front of me.
The stricter crash standards on cars are creating bigger blind spots. The electronic bells and whistles are becoming mandated to compensate.

All of this electronic stuff really is neat on a dealer lot, but I learned a very expensive lesson that I will never use it again. My 2013 Silverado has the backup sensors and rear camera. I have not done any damage to a pickup since my 1966 Chevy C10 in 1973 that I banged in the rear bumper. My one attempt to utilize back up camera and rely on backup sensors in my current pickup netted me $2700 in damage to the left rear. How depressing after over 4 million documented miles of commercial driving without busting up anything.

So, the back up sensors are no longer functional in my Silverado. Just sitting in the rear bumper with nothing to do. I left the backup camera for the wife since she seems to feel more secure with it, but I avoid it. Nope. No fancy gimmickry . Good old fashioned proven techniques when I back this pickup from now on.

Seems sad I have had to disable, work around, or whatever so much stuff on this pickup that I didn't want or didn't need. They make to you take a lot of other stuff in a package to get the few things you actually want. I have disabled the backup sensors, disabled the daytime running lights, and disabled the AFM cylinder shutdown goofy stuff on the engine. All of these not required by any gooberment edict, and two of them not even an option for the consumer by GM.

One thing that should be understood is that these electronic aids should be used as supplementary tools. They should never be used in place of traditional methods such as turning your head and looking with your own eyes what's behind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back