Hesistant about the Takata airbag recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently found out my I35 and Accord are a part of this widespread recall but I'm hesitant about taking them in. Both cars are now 13 yrs old and I'm afraid that in the process of doing the recall, the dealer will mess up something else. I'm paranoid because I had this happen on my Accord last year where a recall fix ended up with my key constantly getting stuck and not coming out of the ignition. I know it's a safety matter but still. Anybody with older cars get this recall done and have any issues afterwards?

Last edited:
I had a similar recall experience with our old Jeep, dealer installed a park interlock mechanism. A couple of days later a very loud and infuriating rattle under the handbrake... Never did find what it was, even taking everything apart multiple times.

Then again taking shrapnel to the face, in the event of a crash, doesn't seem like a great alternative. Frankly, I'd be rather nervous driving the vehicle at all.

I recently had the passenger air bag assembly , as per a recall ,replaced on our Vibe - no issues.

Originally Posted By: gomes512
Then again taking shrapnel to the face, in the event of a crash, doesn't seem like a great alternative. Frankly, I'd be rather nervous driving the vehicle at all.

This.

I'll take a broken car over that.

Wait until they have a few under their belt and then take it in. You never want to be the first one the surgeon operates on!

If it's the driver's side, there really is nothing to it - simply a couple fasteners that hold it to the wheel.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Wait until they have a few under their belt and then take it in. You never want to be the first one the surgeon operates on!

If it's the driver's side, there really is nothing to it - simply a couple fasteners that hold it to the wheel.

I actually agree with this, it makes a lot of sense for many things in life.

That's a tough one. On the one hand, a risk of death in case of air bag deployment vs the possible risk of a dealer caused problem if they replace it. Death vs fear of the unknown. I'd pick fear of the unknown and just have the dealer fix it. I guess to some people, death is a better bet.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

This is very sensible and good advice. Not only that there will be a rush into dealers to get this done initially so the techs will be rushing the jobs...NOT good especially where an airbag is involved.

After 13 years and probably 100s of thousands of explosions they're finally discovering air bag issues? Not much of a bell curve. I'd consider skipping it just to avoid losing an hour of my life in the waiting room.

Unless there's good free coffee or you want to download torrents to your laptop on their wifi or something.
wink.gif

I took around a year to have the ignition key recall done on my HHR, FWIW. They finally gave me a $25 walmart gift card for my trouble.
01.gif

And my 23 year old bonneville airbag is sitting out as I tear into its column to fix the turn signal. It was a cinch to remove. They make safety stuff over-engineered, at least most of the time, so it's easy to R&R.

I would get it done. Just in case something was to happen, you'd be covered. But as said, its hard to justify doing it because of how many were on the road and how long it took for them to realize the issue existed.

My Jeep had a similar issue.. apparently the passenger airbag could randomly go off. A few years of grand Cherokees and libertys were affected and of the thousands of units made, only 2 or 3 went off. I took my Jeep to the dealer to have it fixed. They put my center console on over my seat belt buckle.. and they didn't disconnect my battery to do the electrical work.

Looking back, I should have talked to someone a bit higher up. They confirmed my theory yet again that they (the dealer) suck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back