VW W8 headlamps in a B5 Passat

Status
Not open for further replies.
My B5 Passat (diesel) had some front end damage and I replaced the original lamps with W8 headlamps which are Xenon, and apparently have motors in them to adjust the height of the beam. My B5 is not prewired for the headlamp adjustments and I wondered is there are other ways to adjust height and L-R?

Pictures would be helpful but I would expect some sort of jackscrew to set the "baseline" so the two headlights would at least be synched with each other.

I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but instead of trying to find a logic circuit and wiring to get these lights to function by design, what about a joystick control. Something like a power mirror switch. I have converted a few manual mirror cars to power mirrors. The job is straightforward. I just dont know if you could apply this rationale to your lights.
Lets see what others say.

You might need to do some VCDS tweaking. If so, Ross-Tech can assist you if a custom file is needed for your swap if you bought and registered an interface from them.

Originally Posted By: Olas
W8 headlamps from which model? I only ask because W8 is an engine available in several different VAG cars.

I presume he means the lamps came from the "Passat W8" model. In the United States, the W8-powered Passat was sold as the "Passat W8".

Aside from the passat there is also the phaeton w8, touraeg w8, and it was used by other brands in the group too, Audi, Bentley etc..

You not adjusting those without sensor (probably in the rear), the E code ones can be adjusted but not DOT.
All OE Xenon equipped cars sold in the USA by regulation have to have sensors for auto leveling. European cars have a manual up/down control on the dash.

Some older models use a 6mm allen key on the Euro versions for initial base settings and some have a metal tang that has 2 positions also but i don't know if this is applicable to US versions.
Newer ones have a base setting adjusted by the VAG scan tool.
You need Euro housings and switch or install the sensors and wiring or find a way to pulse the motors.

The other thing i can think of is go to a pick a part yard or dealer for new. The headlights themselves will almost certainly be gone but the sensor, module and related parts will probably be there.
The wiring is possibly already there in your car for these parts, a wiring harness for the lights should get it hooked just make sure to get the harness for your series.

http://www.kufatec.com/shop/en/volkswage...s-vw-passat-3bg

These are just a few thoughts with no real info, maybe just some more info to research.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

All OE Xenon equipped cars sold in the USA by regulation have to have sensors for auto leveling. European cars have a manual up/down control on the dash.

Wrong. There is no regulation in the US to have auto leveling or even manual control inside of the car.

European cars with Xenons needs to have the auto-level AND headlamp washers.

in regards to the OP, it can be manually adjusted since he does not have the level sensors and all of the electronics hooked up. The VAG reset is only when you have the components for auto-level installed and activated (to reset the motors)

there should be, though a harness for the headlamp conversion.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Wrong. There is no regulation in the US to have auto leveling or even manual control inside of the car.

European cars with Xenons needs to have the auto-level AND headlamp washers.

in regards to the OP, it can be manually adjusted since he does not have the level sensors and all of the electronics hooked up. The VAG reset is only when you have the components for auto-level installed and activated (to reset the motors)

there should be, though a harness for the headlamp conversion.

My S2000 has OEM HID low beam and no auto leveling.

All i got from the TÜV manual is if equipped with self leveling it must be working.
I didn't know they were mandated as of 20xx. I didn't google it.
It was my understanding that dimable HID in the US had to be self leveling but if that is wrong then its wrong.
My bad but like i sad not real real into just something he might want to research.

I do not know what year this W8 was. I can tell you that the assembly has 3 screws, 6 mm hex, 1 to adjust low beam height, 1 for high beam, and one supposedly for lateral.
There are several isues:

1) I have no idea what the history is with the W8, but the color of the lights are not equal; one is more yellow than the other, which makes me think that the bulbs have been replaced.

2) I cannot adjust the high beam height adjustment; the 6 mm hex screw just keep on turning and nothing happens, clockwise or counter, which probably means it's stripped.
There is no lateral adjustment with the 3rd screw, again, probably stipped.
3) I think the bulbs are out of focus; the one beam shoots a lot to the right and one shoots to the left. Can't do any lateral adjustment. Could it be possible that the replacment bulbs are ill fitting?

4) the light intensity is pretty bad; my Jetta Halogens are brighter. Again, it makes me think that the replacement bulbs are not original.

Should I just get a new set?

Last edited:
I am kind of at a disadvantage, i don't know the the US equipment and the German models have changed and i am not up on them but i will throw a few thoughts out
Usually when the 6mm hex screws turn endlessly the mechanism is broken. This is unbelievably common on some VW cars, a good many of new style beetles out there have broken adjusters, the vertical being the most common if someone ever tried to adjust them.

The reason for this is a small (non replaceable) plastic tab on the mechanism that snaps as soon as the screw is turned. It is supposed to move a bar that goes back and forth on the top of the housing that is connected to the reflector. That much i do know.
What i don't know and say "usually" there is the question of this mechanism being disconnected because it uses electric motors? I don't know.

The yellow color could be internal or external discoloration or both. External can be fixed by sanding and clear coating but internal can be a bugger. Some OE lights have removable lenses some don't.

It sounds like the adjuster are out more than ill fitting bulbs.
If it were me i would replace them with the ones made for the car. if you buy used or aftermarket make sure any adjusters are working before installing.

Sorry i cant give you more info, i have books and diagrams but don't have any hands on experience on your cars lights that i can relate.

It appears that you can get replacement housings (Genuine) for the Passat W8 lamps which include the range control motors and adjusters.

Obviously this still doesn't solve your wiring issue...

You can also get OE halogen assemblies and Hella E-codes

ECS is one such place I found these.

I found a couple of post on the VW boards indicating that E-Code HIDS are easier to install, but not very detailed information.

Honestly if it were me I'd Hella E-codes in it

I am kind of at a disadvantage, i don't know the the US equipment and the German models have changed and i am not up on them but i will throw a few thoughts out
Usually when the 6mm hex screws turn endlessly the mechanism is broken. This is unbelievably common on some VW cars, a good many of new style beetles out there have broken adjusters, the vertical being the most common if someone ever tried to adjust them.

The reason for this is a small (non replaceable) plastic tab on the mechanism that snaps as soon as the screw is turned. It is supposed to move a bar that goes back and forth on the top of the housing that is connected to the reflector. That much i do know.
What i don't know and say "usually" there is the question of this mechanism being disconnected because it uses electric motors? I don't know.

The yellow color could be internal or external discoloration or both. External can be fixed by sanding and clear coating but internal can be a bugger. Some OE lights have removable lenses some don't.

It sounds like the adjuster are out more than ill fitting bulbs.
If it were me i would replace them with the ones made for the car. if you buy used or aftermarket make sure any adjusters are working before installing.

Sorry i cant give you more info, i have books and diagrams but don't have any hands on experience on your cars lights that i can relate.

I was afraid of that. Thank you for your info. The question I have now is whether I should go find a new set of regular HALOGEN beam projectors that the car came with. Will the Halo beam units fit in the current W8 cradle?

I don't know, i would try them before buying any other parts. I like the projector beams, mine are H1 for both high and low = cheap bulbs but give plenty of nice light.
Nice clear lenses is half the battle.

I do notice one thing though on some VW cars that use DRL, the lenses go yellow quickly and the wiring is brittle in the housing on both the head and tail lights.
I turned them off.

Originally Posted By: whizbyu

I was afraid of that. Thank you for your info. The question I have now is whether I should go find a new set of regular HALOGEN beam projectors that the car came with. Will the Halo beam units fit in the current W8 cradle?

If you will give me the year of your Passat, I will see what I can figure out for you using Mitchell and Audatex.

I don't know, i would try them before buying any other parts. I like the projector beams, mine are H1 for both high and low = cheap bulbs but give plenty of nice light.
Nice clear lenses is half the battle.

I do notice one thing though on some VW cars that use DRL, the lenses go yellow quickly and the wiring is brittle in the housing on both the head and tail lights.
I turned them off.
THe H1 was, of course, the first production halogen bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back