Cold weather warm up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The temperature outside is 12 degrees F tonight. This got me thinking about warming the engine before driving off, to let the oil get to all engine parts. I start the engine and let it idle for a full minute in any weather, then drive slowly down my lane for about a minute. Given Mobil 1 5 w 30 EP in a V6 Dodge Caravan, does this sound like enough of a warmup for the current deep freeze?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I wonder if it really matters much. I am in Minnesota and we see a couple weeks a year of minus 10 and colder. Most cars never see more than maybe 20 seconds of warm-up and we don't see much if any engine failure here.

There is no firm consensus on this.
So just like the 3000mile OCI or dumping the factory fill, people are entrenched into their positions and do whatever makes you feel better.

However I'll explain the argument and theory of the other side. Take it or leave it.

I will claim that no owner's manual says you need to idle to warm it up. If you disagree, please find an example from a modern car (i.e. fuel injected with computers and smog controls).
Some manuals give the exact opposite instruction regarding cold startup and not only say there is no benefit to idling to "warm it up", but tell you instead to go immediately drive at a slow/moderate pace which actually warms the car up faster.

This doesn't mean jump to a high load immediately or drive if there is another reason why car is not yet safe to drive (frozen windshield, brakes/gears don't work right when cold, etc), but I'm just talking about the engine and the imaginary cold "damage".

If you have such an extreme cold temperature where the "cold" oil is causing damage, idle versus driving at a slow rate is going to cause the same damage. If the engine is running at all to perform the "warm up" it's doing the same damage whether it does it in your driveway or at low moving speeds.

What some manuals will say you that if you are in EXTREME cold, where the engine damage could occur, you need to install a block heater or alternate means to do the "warm up" before starting the engine at all. But idling to do the warm up isn't going to prevent damage

If you want evidence in the form of a thought experiment, think what does the car do on a cold start? It idles faster not slower.
If cold was "damaging" from lack of "warmed up oil" you'd expect it would have to run at a slower pump RPM and startup sequence to pump and flow the oil(like some airplanes) before the car actually fires up the engine.

Since there's no separate sequence, same "damage" occurs at idle versus getting on with it. You could dissect whether the damage is actually less because the idle is more to just barely keeping the car on, versus actually warming it up.

Not saying go out and race vin diesel for slips or motor up pikes peak from cold start, but if the car "wants" to idle at 1500 to warm up faster, 2000rpm and gentle driving will achieve that goal even better.

Take it or leave it; idling won't "hurt", but it may not really help you other than piece of mind.

Check your owner's manual see if they say anything for your car. That's a more definite precise source versus yahoo's on the internet.

Last edited:
Higher idles may be a smog thing to warm the cat up. My 1989 mazda 323 would run at 3000-3500 RPM for a spell!

Don't lug, don't race, throw salt over your shoulder when you sneeze. I'm lucky my first mile or two are at 35 MPH.

We have mild winters here in SE TX. It seldom goes below 30°. I never idle my car to warm it up, however my general rule of thumb is to not flog the engine until its at operating temp.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Higher idles may be a smog thing to warm the cat up. My 1989 mazda 323 would run at 3000-3500 RPM for a spell!

Don't lug, don't race, throw salt over your shoulder when you sneeze. I'm lucky my first mile or two are at 35 MPH.

Exactly correct--it is idling faster to heat the cat.

Some of us do not have the luxury of not warming the car up and just driving slow for the first few miles. For me--it's about 1/2 mile before the racetrack--driving 35 will get you done run over

The enrichment circuit naturally increases the idle. Think about a choke on a carb, which did the same thing. It definitely wasn't for cat warmup there! LOL!

I'm sure it serves a secondary function for that purpose, but the rich nature of the startup/warmup mixture increases idle by itself.

My owners manual states the following:

1. After the engine runs for about 10 seconds, you are ready to drive.

2. If the weather is below freezing, let the engine warm up for a few minutes before driving.

Keep idle short and if you can drive slowly til car warms up (if possible). Car will warm up faster when driven..obviously there are some exceptions but I wouldnt idle over 3-4 mins.

I start the engine, when the tach hits about 1,000 rpms I go. I drive easy until the engine reaches operating temps. I don't like burning up a clutch taking off, or dropping an AT in gear when an engine is revving too high.

I like a warm car to get into, so mine gets to warm up for a few minutes (or to clean it off)...

I do drive easy on it for the first few miles or so....

Originally Posted By: raytseng
There is no firm consensus on this.
So just like the 3000mile OCI or dumping the factory fill, people are entrenched into their positions and do whatever makes you feel better.

However I'll explain the argument and theory of the other side. Take it or leave it.

I will claim that no owner's manual says you need to idle to warm it up. If you disagree, please find an example from a modern car (i.e. fuel injected with computers and smog controls).
Some manuals give the exact opposite instruction regarding cold startup and not only say there is no benefit to idling to "warm it up", but tell you instead to go immediately drive at a slow/moderate pace which actually warms the car up faster.

This doesn't mean jump to a high load immediately or drive if there is another reason why car is not yet safe to drive (frozen windshield, brakes/gears don't work right when cold, etc), but I'm just talking about the engine and the imaginary cold "damage".

If you have such an extreme cold temperature where the "cold" oil is causing damage, idle versus driving at a slow rate is going to cause the same damage. If the engine is running at all to perform the "warm up" it's doing the same damage whether it does it in your driveway or at low moving speeds.

What some manuals will say you that if you are in EXTREME cold, where the engine damage could occur, you need to install a block heater or alternate means to do the "warm up" before starting the engine at all. But idling to do the warm up isn't going to prevent damage

If you want evidence in the form of a thought experiment, think what does the car do on a cold start? It idles faster not slower.
If cold was "damaging" from lack of "warmed up oil" you'd expect it would have to run at a slower pump RPM and startup sequence to pump and flow the oil(like some airplanes) before the car actually fires up the engine.

Since there's no separate sequence, same "damage" occurs at idle versus getting on with it. You could dissect whether the damage is actually less because the idle is more to just barely keeping the car on, versus actually warming it up.

Not saying go out and race vin diesel for slips or motor up pikes peak from cold start, but if the car "wants" to idle at 1500 to warm up faster, 2000rpm and gentle driving will achieve that goal even better.

Take it or leave it; idling won't "hurt", but it may not really help you other than piece of mind.

Check your owner's manual see if they say anything for your car. That's a more definite precise source versus yahoo's on the internet.

+1

In my experience, if you get in a stone cold car and take off, your windshield will be fogged over in about 1.5 miles and no heat in the heater to burn off the moisture.

better to let it idle for 5-10 minutes in the driveway so there is some heat shortly after you start driving so you can keep the windshield clear.

admittedly, some cars warm up quicker than others, so YMMV.

In socal, I start my truck, back it out of the garage, then drive keeping the rpm at no higher than 2k for about 2 miles or so. Then I drive normal from there. I do not floor it either. What u are doing in colder weather is good.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The enrichment circuit naturally increases the idle. Think about a choke on a carb, which did the same thing. It definitely wasn't for cat warmup there! LOL!

I'm sure it serves a secondary function for that purpose, but the rich nature of the startup/warmup mixture increases idle by itself.

Chokes on carbs had a little stair steppy cam thing to bump up the idle. Just choking off air supply would stall the engine. Typically these were set for a higher idle that would climb some more as the engine warmed up, oil thinned out etc then the driver would tap the gas and hope the choke pulled off enough that the throttle could stop another "stair step" down, or on its natural stop screw eventually.

I would not be surprised to find higher idles help atomize fuel on all cars, help suck it through the venturi of carbs, and help cover the occasional random misfire.

When the new stuff came with idle speed controls this wasn't as much of a thing. I forget how exactly my computerized 82 cadillac cimarron 2 bbl handled things except it barely moved 20 MPH below 10'F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back