Advise on what older Dodge pickup to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to buy an old Dodge 1/2 ton pickup. Say late 90's or early 2,000's. Automatic and a 4x4. Gas of course in a 1/2 ton.

Any recommendations like what engines are best and what years were best?

Any problems to be especially careful of?

Thanks a ton!

They upgraded the front ends on those... track bar, pitman arm, stuff like that. Original version got sloppy quick.

You want to decide if you want the traditional magnum 318, 360 or the newfangled 4.7.

I've had two. A 99 5.2 2wd 240k and currently a 01 5.9 4wd 206k. Both had transmissions built around 150k and were running great. I bought them to work on and flip and think they're good trucks. I like the 5.9 myself more power same mpg's. Wish you were closer I'd sell us the 01. As far as known problems the dashes are all garbage and fall apart. Nothing a dashmat can't cover. Transmissions can be weak points find a truck that's already had a rebuild. I had to put ball joints in the 99 but with 240k I can't hold that against it.. Good luck on your search

The 5.2/5.9 likes to burn oil from a leaking plate on the bottom of the intake manifold. Hughes Engines makes a kit to fix this problem for good.

The intake thing is likely fixed most failed Long ago and got the problem solver gasket. But even if not is an easy fix. Very good trucks the 4.7. Isn't as good but if you find a decent one I wouldn't be afraid of it. The 318 and 360 are better known as tough reliable simple engines.

Any vehicle 15, 20, or more years old is a gamble. If you want a project truck, you will find one. The most common problems will have already been repaired at least once, maybe more. The automatic transmissions didn't hold up well as I remember. Have fun.

have owned several and still love them. that said, you will be very hard pressed to find one with an uncracked dash.

I had a 95 1500 4X4 5.9l auto. This truck pulled a 28ft travel trailer for many miles, down south and out west. The engines are tough, but gas hogs. If you keep the trans cool, they last a long time. I sold mine at 165,000 miles with original trans still in it.

Avoid the 3.9L as the fuel economy is the same as the 4.7L only less power.

Totegoat is absolutely right. Any brand or model truck you get this age will be a project truck. Go for it if you're OK with that.

Here's the best advice you'll ever get- buy a COMPLETE and UNMODIFIED truck with little to no RUST and a good transmission. Everything else can be fixed.

I'm planning to so the same, except I'm going full size Chevy. I would agree with hangfire, by a stock truck. You don't want to get one that was modified true wrong way or Mickey mouse'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back