03 Chevrolet

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fourth pic is where I have a slight coolant leak. The next pic is from where a ground strap broke, and it runs good, so I don't know the purpose of it.

One more thing I need to investigate is the obdII reader. I hooked it up and it never came on, so I don't know if it is unplugged or if my reader is broke.

These are the before pics, it will probably take me a few weeks or a few months to take the time and have the weather to get where I want it to be.

Make sure the brake lines under the front of the driver side cabin are solid. That is a common spot they like to blow out from. Then again, where you are there likely won't be any rust issues.

If your OBDII reader is not powering up - check for a blown fuse for the cigarette/12v outlet circuit. Great truck - so much potential. Congrats and thanks for the heads up on the one in Dallas, but I'm stuck with mine for a while . It's almost paid off.

Nice find with the 5 speed. I found when I was looking for my truck, but the wife would not drive it.
I like the clearance lights. "Chicken lights" Mine does not have them. Looks nice and straight.

The leak could be the hose or where the cooler line goes into the radiator. If it is the second might be time to swap out the radiator.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Looks like a quiet neighbourhood. Nice Alpine head unit and aftermarket speakers!

not an alpine, it's a vr3 from back In the day at Walmart, at least I think is where the previous owner got it. As far as I can find, there are no control options on it, the door speaks are pioneer. An older dual preout Kenwood is on the list.

I guess the capacity is very great on the radiator, as there was a stain underneath it on the driveway, butthe surge tank level is still spot on. I'll have to live with it for awhile.

The shift knob is a protected by S&W 44 mag pistol grip.

Right now, the PO said he put in Castrol 20w50 and an OCOD in it about 3k miles ago and changed it every 4k.

My plans:

Engine......10w30 VWB with FU....yearly OCIs
Trans......75w85 redline gl-4
Diff...........75w90 redline gl-5
Coolant.....dexcool cut with distiller
Brakes......run new dot-3 through the lines until clean at bleeder
Air filter......regular fram
Spark plugs....have not figured out if it uses NGk iridiums or double plat acdelco
Wires......ac delco
Chassis....I think mystic red is in my gun
PSF........Valvoline PSF
Tires....worn out fire stones now, but would like GY wranglers on all four, but I do have two spares with good tread that I could put on the rear and save me half, but as much(or as few miles) as I drive I may just hold out and get all four.

Yes Marco, I love this neighborhood. I grew up just around the block.

Last edited:
Not sure, we are in warmer climates. Hopefully when i go to a 30wt it will not consume or make piston slap noise.

Another cool thing about this truck. Usually i have to remove interior lights so i can leave the door open with the radio on and no lights attracting mosquitos and burning down the battery.

A bad point, the cd player only comes on with the key in the run position. Used to be, you turn the key backwards and listen to tunes. Also, it has automatic lights, yet they can be used manually, but you have to turn e switch every time you get in. I think there is a mod forthis, however.

The cig lighters dont work, so hopefully i wont get any CELs when i change out the fuse, that is, if that is the solution.

Also, found a manual for my radio, got it all setup and it doesnt sound that bad. I think it is the old Roadmaster brand.

Also, i just had someone disengage the auto correct on my iPad, so you wont be reading any crazy words anymore. It seems here at BITOG, we dont use ordinary language.

I disabled my automatic lights by putting a jumper wire in the daylight sensor socket that is in the top of the dash. Manual operating lights now, just the way I like it.

I might save some money on a Kenwood and use this piece. It has a front and a sub preout, and i found out some operation controls via the manual online.
Only 80db s/n on this unit while my amps and most or all kenwood head units are +100db
Ch4o, i will have to check out that mod. I like manual lights, but one time i got a few feet down the road without them, since it was a well lit street, and IIRC there were five cruisers behind me in a parking lot for about 30 min.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Oh yeah, no shift light. Those annoy me to no end.
You can't figure out when to shift on your own?

I just changed out the K&N that was in there for a from extra guard.

The truck has a dual outlet flowmaster, so considering that i am guessing it has a tune, since it runs so strong. I have the filter drying right now and am about to oil it. The intake tract showed no contamination when i wiped my fingers in it, but the screen wiped clean from an oily dark mess, probably the MAF screen.

Will changing filters cause the powerful engine to tame? I dont want to degrade it at all.

Ok im off to change the cig fuse to hopefully get the 12v outlets and obd2 port to function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back