PC Duron Synthetic 5W40 CI-4 12.6K Renault 1.9DCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to say HI to everyone .My first post on the forum The car is a Renault Megane III 2009 -1.9 DCI 131Hp about 137k miles on the Odo. I have two analyses on the PC Duron 5w40 HD, the oil is still in service .My question is, what is happening whit the TBN? whay is the number so high after almost 13k MI on oil?
Code:
74DartSport said:
Code:
MI on Unit 			137k Miles

Sample Date	   08.01.2015      07/08.2014

Make Up Oil Adde   0.3 quarts

Oil Typ Petro Canada Duron Synthetic 5w40 the oil is still in service

12600 miles     6300 miles

ALUMINUM		4		2

CHROMIUM		0	        0

IRON			21	        11

COPPER			6		4

LEAD			0		0

TIN			0		0

MOLYBDENUM		3		3

NICKEL			1		0

MANGANESE		0		0

SILVER			1		0

TITANIUM		0		0

POTASSIUM		0		

BORON			5		5

SILICON			21		16

SODIUM			0		0

CALCIUM			2900		2870

MAGNESIUM		11		8

PHOSPHORUS		1131		1100

ZINC			1315		1298

BARIUM			0		0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F	81.40           80.30

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C   13.60           13.40

Oxidation A/cm           5               3

Fuel %			
Soot %                  
Water %			0.0              0.0

PQ index		
TBN			11              10.32
[/quote]

Last edited:
Looks like you can keep this oil forever. It only gets better. I guess high fuel quality does the trick since you are not from America. In my gas engine a cheap mineral oil stayed near it's virgin condition for 10000 km. Could have run it at least to 20000 km.

What is the starting TBN of that oil? What is the resolution and error of the method used to measure it?

I would be inclined to point to a lab error as it isn't logic that the TBN goes up with use.

It could be that this additive package has trouble neutralizing the acids, and that it is why the TBN doesn't go down with use, in that case you should see an increase in TAN but also an increase in wear metals which it isn't your case.

How much time are you planning to run this oil?, the 18k mi that Renault recommends? At which interval are you changing your oil normally?

The lab is Oelcheck from Germany and for the TBN they use ASTM-D2896 and ISO 3771 or something like that.Just 18K intervals on this car from day one with 10w40 ELF Turbo Diesel a mineral oil.

With a virgin TBN of 10.8 I think your results are plausible taking into account the way the test are performed. I have to conclude that the TBN is high because is hasn't been demanded by the engine. I assume that you are going to sample again at 18k mi? It could be useful to do a TAN test just to see how things are going.

If your wear metals keep behaving this way, I think your marker for condemnation of the oil is going to be the level of silicon.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
how long before sampling was the make-up oil added?
The make-up oil was added about 400 miles before the UOA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
With a virgin TBN of 10.8 I think your results are plausible taking into account the way the test are performed. I have to conclude that the TBN is high because is hasn't been demanded by the engine. I assume that you are going to sample again at 18k mi? It could be useful to do a TAN test just to see how things are going.

If your wear metals keep behaving this way, I think your marker for condemnation of the oil is going to be the level of silicon.
I will sample again at 18k and the next UOA will be with a TBN/TAN.I would like to send a sample to Blackstone-Labs but im not sure if they take samples from Europe?

Last edited:
What is the level of sulfur in the diesel fuel in Romania? Must be close to 0. That level of TBN retention seems too good to be true, so it would be a good idea to have TAN taken on the next sample.

I live in Germany and the sulfur level in the diesel is maximum 10ppm , is this high or low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back