Would you buy a house where a murder occurred ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend wants to buy a house and found out a murder occurred 5 years ago. Nice house in a nice neighborhood with a good school district.

Would you buy a house in which a murder occurred ???

Remember the house in amityville
shocked2.gif

Violent crimes don't affect the physical condition of the property, but the fact it is stigmatized is enough for a considerable drop in value and/or difficulty selling in the future.

I've wondered about this, too.

If it was a notorious murder such that people are driving by snapping photos, then probably not.

I remember when the spy Robert Hanssen was exposed. He actually lived nearby. My wife and I drove down his street. As I remember, the FBI had rented the house across the street, and were conducting surveillance on him.

A kid in our neighborhood was bi-polar and killed his mother with a knife right in the kitchen. That is a personal tragedy, but it probably wouldn't bother me as a buyer.

Both elderly neighbors across the street from me both died at home naturally. That wouldn't bother me, and I doubt the new owners even know (I wouldn't mention it, either).

So, a notorious murder, no. Mundane? I possibly would.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
A friend wants to buy a house and found out a murder occurred 5 years ago. Nice house in a nice neighborhood with a good school district.

Would you buy a house in which a murder occurred ???

Can't say for sure, if I'm honest, but I'd like to think so.

If your friend is the type to be thinking about something like that every day, then I'd advise them to steer clear. Otherwise, why worry?

Why not? There is no supernatural anything so I don't see why a house where a death occurred would be any different than any other house. Many individuals live and die in nursing homes and the room they occupy has been the scene of many deaths. It's just medieval superstition.

Natural death at home due to age or illness is much different than....

A murder with blood and crime scene investigation.

When we were moving to Florida from Pa. We looked at a lot of houses. One house had such a history. It was a suicide. The story was a rich fellow bought it for his daughter to live in. She got hooked up with a guy that was in to drugs and he ended up shooting himself in the living room. The daughter didn't want to live in the house moved back in with Dad and he just wanted to unload the house. It was a nice house in a secluded area. 5 acres of land and about 10,000 to 15,000 dollars cheaper than it should have cost. When we looked at the house, they never even cleaned up the mess. Seriously. The one wall was glass covered and had a shattered panel with the bullet hole in it and splattered with now black blood. The carpet had a big area about 2' by 2' that was all black. I am taking , where he fell and his head bled out. Pretty sick. I made a comment to the realtor and she said "Are you here to buy the house or gawk?". I wanted no part of that house. My wife didn't mind, she liked the house, said replace the rug, cover the wall, no big deal. I don't think I could deal with a house like that, every noise and every shadow would creep me out in the middle of the night. I often walk out to check a noise in the middle of the night with no lights, I would be a little creeped out in a house like that and not comfortable. They ended up selling it, but it was on the market a long time.

There are places like servpro that work for insurance companies to clean up fire & water damage, blood, crime scenes etc and their slogan is "like it never even happened".

Yet the realtor nor anyone else in the chain of custody thought it worthwhile to hire them!

Cracks me up.

I would, for the right price, but I'm so naive when it comes to real estate I have to assume that someone smarter than me didn't buy it for a darn good reason and that alone should give me pause.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Natural death at home due to age or illness is much different than....

A murder with blood and crime scene investigation.

Exactly, it is a mental thing. I imagine hunters and farmers that kill, dress, process, and consume meat are much more comfortable about death and blood than are the majority of consumers that are disconnected from life. They buy their pork clean and packaged in plastic, oblivious of the the pig that was electronically stunned, then hung up and it's throat slit for the heart to pump out the blood.

Having said that (I'm a food gatherer), if the murder scene was one of "satanic", cult like origins, etc., I too would have to think about buying such a house due to the mental images.

It wouldn't bother me in the least, as long as it was property cleaned, sanitized and restored to livable condition.

If there were a spirit in the house,certainly don't call Ghost Adventures to investigate.Seemingly all they do is make things worse.A religious exorcism would be necessary instead.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
If there were a spirit in the house,certainly don't call Ghost Adventures to investigate.Seemingly all they do is make things worse.A religious exorcism would be necessary instead.

Those shows amaze me. I believe them to be based in something real, and yes they do stir up some stuff sometiems.

I don't think they can script things that far. Though there was one episode of "Paranormal State" that they determined it was NOT a haunting.. but the homeowners wanted yl believe anyway.

They still make those shows?

May affect your resale value

There’s a grim phenomenon in Hong Kong’s real estate market: discounts of as much as 50 percent for home-seekers willing to live in an apartment where a murder has occurred.

Unnatural deaths typically result in rental discounts of 10 percent to 20 percent and can be more than double that for sinister killings, according to Sammy Po, head of the residential department of realtor Midland Holdings Ltd. (1200) Chinese believe such places, known as “hung jaak,” the Cantonese term for “haunted apartments,” are unlucky, he said.

“The Chinese really do care” about living in these places, Po said.

I'd have to be aware of this in my area.

YES I WOULD, then tell people it's HAUNTED.

LOL.

Where I live there used to be several local "haunted" houses, nobody lived in them, and they have been vacant for 20 years... My Grandma has some cookie jars she took from a haunted house, want a cookie?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back