Cord Cutters: Sling TV is coming for $20 month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sling, a division of Dish satellite, will be offering $20 month for live cable tv streaming. Launch is expected in the next few months.

The $20 Sling TV base package includes ESPN, ESPN2, CNN, TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Travel Channel, Food Network, ABC Family, HGTV, Disney Channel and Maker.

For $5 extra per month viewers can also get a kids package with Disney Junior, Disney XD, Boomerang, Baby TV and Duck TV. Or they can get a news add-on with LN, Cooking Channel, DIY and Bloomberg TV. Sling TV plans to add a sports package, soon

sling TV question and answer

this will stream on almost all the roku/ipad/amazon fire tv/smart tvs/pcs. This is Dish's solution to go after cord cutters. right now, I have OTA antenna and netflix for the past 1.5 yrs. I signed up for their email invitation only. Getting disney junior would be great for my 3 yr old daughter. what do you guys think?

Last edited:
I want HBO, too. So, then I'll have to subscribe to their service. Oh, and I want to watch the Washington Nationals, so I have to subscribe to MASN.

A-la-carte ain't the end-all be-all.

Not a very big selection of channels for that $20 in my opinion. Whenever I am somewhere with pay TV I like National Geographic, History and Discovery channels and the rest just seems like filler.

It does look like a good option if you have kids in the house though.

So they have the rights to Disney and Turner, it seems. Lots of holes.

I'm stoked about the streaming live sports, this seems to be a killer step above netflix and amazon that just have reruns of things that were already on cable at some point.

Originally Posted By: CT8
$240 .00 per year for something that makes people stupid?

+1

Still $20 a month too expensive.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Originally Posted By: CT8
$240 .00 per year for something that makes people stupid?

Did pop start a new account?

Haha! Good one.

Probably worth it for ESPN alone during the season if you're a fan. I'll probably do this for NFL season next year.

If 240 dollars a year is a lot of money to you... maybe think twice about calling others stupid. Last I heard brain surgeons and rocket scientists weren't having a hard time coughing up this sort of scratch.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
So if a guy wants just 10specific channels like cnn meTv espn ...nothing special. No premiums.

What's a cord cut way to do this?

You can't do it.

Some people will never be satisfied. They think they should be able to get whatever they want for whatever they want to pay. Frankly, $20 a month for this is incredible. This is now by far the cheapest way to get ESPN. And you wouldn't believe how many people don't care what they get as long as they get ESPN.

If you read the details this is a "single stream service" meaning you can only use it for one device at a time. It's $40.00/month to use on more than one device.

Originally Posted By: CKN
If you read the details this is a "single stream service" meaning you can only use it for one device at a time. It's $40.00/month to use on more than one device.

This is what makes this hard to swallow.

I think the a la carte model is a great thing, and will be the way that most video service is offered in the future (or, at least customers will have the option of buying different products a la carte). But we as cord cutters have to be careful: once you add up the cost of various a la carte options (if you buy a number of them), you're approaching the cost of the very video cable service you just ditched.

I think the a la carte model might not work. 20 dollars for 11 channels might be the best we get. I can't imagine someone paying 5 bucks per month for only Fox news. I think that is a time waster and not worth the time for most cable tv channels.

I'm probably the last person who still wants to watch NBA, but for $20 a month this might be the cheapest way for me to get it. Rarely is a game on network TV any more. IMO its why the NBA (among other reasons) will never be as big as NFL : access.

$20 a month for one TV/device? forget it.

There's a lot to dislike about netflix (annoying pop up ads, [censored] interface/app on wii, etc), but for $9 or so a month, it's got a lot of stuff. The movies are lacking but the TV shows are good enough to find something worth watching. Also it seems they have tons of the standard kids shows...they all seem the same to me.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: CKN

This is what makes this hard to swallow.

I think the a la carte model is a great thing, and will be the way that most video service is offered in the future (or, at least customers will have the option of buying different products a la carte). But we as cord cutters have to be careful: once you add up the cost of various a la carte options (if you buy a number of them), you're approaching the cost of the very video cable service you just ditched.

Your right Jason. They (Dish) doesn't want to Cannibalize their own business. So-IMHO this is why they are going to price it as a single service. After that, your better off with their satellite service.

I signed up for an invite for sling tv last month. I just got the email to join last night. I signed up this morning.

$20 for basic service
$5 for the kids package, disney junior for my 3 yr old
taxes 2.23

I paid 27.23 total for one month of service. I'm on a seven day trial.

I know for a fact when I had comcast basic cable. I would pay 12 dollars a month in franchise fees, sales tax, FCC regulations. amazing, my taxes is only $2.23 per month.

I can get disney junior without signing up for digital preferred with comcast and without ultra package with directv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back