Federal Gas Tax Going Up??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I refuse to watch broadcast news. Any of them. They all have to put their own politically biased slant and then report it as news. All I want are the FACTS. I can make up my own mind as to how I want to process it. Having said that, I was cruising through our living yesterday morning and the bride had a news show on. I caught a small snippet of an interview where an oil expert was claiming the Fed is now considering raising the Federal gas tax since the price of gas has dropped. I haven't seen, or heard, this discussed any where else, although again, I try to stay as news free as possible. Anybody else heard this? If this is the case, it's just another reason why I love my country but hate, with a passion, this government. Wouldn't it be logical that with lower gas prices, more people might be willing to drive a little more? Increased driving = increased gas usage = increased sales = more tax revenue at the same level of taxation.

And the political HACKS keep repeating that "gas prices are so low" so it ought to be OK to raise the tax grab. Two questions, ... do they think that WE believe gas prices will NEVER go back UP, and do we believe them when they say the additional money they grab IS going to fix roads and bridges. Gruber may think we're stupid......but
The hacks are now using low gas prices to say we shouldn't allow the Keystone pipeline to be build. And if gas prices start to climb the DAY the pipeline is defeated, they'll look at the sky and pretend they can't hear you any more.

It's my understanding that gas tax hasn't gone up in long time, which underfunds transportation infrastructure. I also heard that some states arr going to have tax on electric cars because they don't pay gas tax but use the roads. I don't think the extra driving people might do because of lower gas prices will even out as you stated but jmo.
I just want to get a really fuel efficient car while prices are hopefully trending down as people buy more suv & such, before prices go back up

Its a 100% certainty they have this on the agenda just like that clown here in MA did a couple of years ago.
Gas dropped a little so he stuck a higher tax on it, then it went back up and we got bent over real good and proper. IMHO any dirty SOB who votes for this needs and deserves to put out of office, preferably covered in tar and feathers on a rail car.

Look its like this.. The people of this country haven't caught a GD break in this country since 2008, they have been bent over. Now some rotten bastar. sees they might be getting a bit of relief they want to hit them harder.
This isn't political, it applies to every single one of them regardless of party affiliation.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its a 100% certainty they have this on the agenda just like that clown here in MA did a couple of years ago.
Gas dropped a little so he stuck a higher tax on it, then it went back up and we got bent over real good and proper. IMHO any dirty SOB who votes for this needs and deserves to put out of office, preferably covered in tar and feathers on a rail car.

Look its like this.. The people of this country haven't caught a GD break in this country since 2008, they have been bent over. Now some rotten bastar. sees they might be getting a bit of relief they want to hit them harder.
This isn't political, it applies to every single one of them regardless of party affiliation.
A gas tax increase automatically keyed to inflation goes UP every time gas prices go up, and adds a bit to the inflation which then causes another increase in the gas tax. Thfefact that the cowards wanted an automatic increase so they didn't have to put their names on voting for it is the telling point.

Funny how they would like it attached to inflation, yet still keep gas and food from the inflation % equation. Only in Washington can you have your cake, and more cake, and more cake, and eat it all.

When you Google for something you can click "News" and see what's been in the news recently. There's 24,900,000 results about gas tax.

Trav wrote:
> The people of this country haven't caught a GD break in this country since 2008, they have been bent over.

You have to be kidding. I won't respond further because it'll result in a thread lock.

They have to find a way to fund infrastructure now that they have diverted so much of the money pools to other places. The problem is that ongoing maintenance isn't sexy so it needs a stable funding mechanism. Gas taxes happen to be a logical choice. Gas usage has pretty much plateaued in the US and DC runs on assuming increases in every budget every year and current taxes aren't increasing the money pool.
I am expecting them to increase packaged with some fee decrease or maybe even Keystone XL to politically offset opposition from both parties.

Need more tax money to give to nsa to spy on American citizens . Old hoover couldn't dream of the spying he could do. Impo the political class learned from hoover they will spy not some clown at the FBI.

Originally Posted By: spackard
When you Google for something you can click "News" and see what's been in the news recently. There's 24,900,000 results about gas tax.

Trav wrote:
> The people of this country haven't caught a GD break in this country since 2008, they have been bent over.

You have to be kidding. I won't respond further because it'll result in a thread lock.

Trav is right - since 2008 and even before, it's been the constant expansion of government on the backs of an unwilling taxpayer. Obama has doubled the national debt, and even with record tax receipts to the federal government, it's not enough. Unless you actually pay taxes, you should not be allowed to vote.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Trav

A gas tax increase automatically keyed to inflation goes UP every time gas prices go up, and adds a bit to the inflation which then causes another increase in the gas tax. Thfefact that the cowards wanted an automatic increase so they didn't have to put their names on voting for it is the telling point.

It didn't take the new Congress 2 weeks to pick up the tax and spend ball and start running. Every one of them will be on TV justifying their yes vote with the look of sincerity on their lying faces.
These people open their mouth and lies automatically spew out, its that simple.

Originally Posted By: spackard

Trav wrote:

I'm not kidding. They had a half a trillion dollar spending spree that was supposed to create shovel ready job in infrastructure, where the F did that go? Now we need a few cents of every gallon of gas to build bridges and roads?
I got news for ya not one measly dime of that money will ever be spent on a road except maybe a bridge to nowhere out if east overshoe as part of some some pork amendment.

Tax revenues have never been higher, the debt has increased more than 10 trillion dollars in the last 8 years, wheres the money gone?
The American people have been given the shaft for so long they are way beyond the pain threshold, now they want more. They see someone has an extra dime in their pocket and the friggin feeding frenzy begins about who is going to get it first.
These low fuel prices are temporary at best, are they going to take the extra tax off when it hits $350 a gallon again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back