Replaced a heater core on a 2001 Ram today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm basically just getting on here to talk about how satisfying it is to do something that everyone says is extremely difficult. I watched all the youtube videos on the job and I figured out what needed to be done. Job took around 3hrs and now I have a good working truck to enjoy and maybe sell for a little profit down the road. If anyone is facing the same job let me know and I'll tell you how I did it. Its a $600ish job at the shop and got it done for $36!

...Same on most Ford products

Spend ½ hour pulling the dash, your biggest fight will probably be wrestling the coolant hoses off.

I hope you didn't skimp on a quality core for $36

Not to pile on, but +1 on this. Pulling most any instrument panel again to re-replace a leaking heater core is something I try to avoid
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

What dash can you pull in 1/2 an hour??

Look up heater core replacement on Ford Super Duty trucks. Just drop the glove box and a few other items and you're there.

Spend ½ hour pulling the dash, your biggest fight will probably be wrestling the coolant hoses off.

The one I put in was an APDI. Same price and looks the same as all the other aftermarket cores that are available. Seemed to be of good quality to me. I just found a good deal for a new one on Ebay. On rockauto its $42 plus shipping.

Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan
What dash can you pull in 1/2 an hour??

Look up heater core replacement on Ford Super Duty trucks. Just drop the glove box and a few other items and you're there.

NO HEAT: Ford Taurus Heater Core Removal: http://youtu.be/Z6b1GaRQAJY

Later Fusions for a Evap temp sensor are about as easy.

It depends on the car/truck. We just talked about heater core replacement at work. The fellow doing most of the talking had a car that was a real bear to replace the heater core. He's a good fellow and knows what he's talking about. The book time was 6 hours and it took him 6 hours. It's not like the old days.

Its 10-12 hours to replace the heater core on a S10/Blazer. Not a hard job, but very hard on the body as one has to lay in many unnatural positions to locate and remove parts of the dash and associated fittings.

Many vehicles have "work arounds" regarding heater core replacement that save hours of work. You just need to have an innovative mindset and forgo the "book".

Here is one on the Ford Taurus that eliminates removal of the dash:

Is that guy OCD? Maybe a contortionist to boot?

I've read that it's an 8 hr job on my Jetta. I suspect that might be the final straw for it, if it ever went (and the way some talk it's a matter of time, either for the core or for the doors).

I guess it's not a commonly done job, but still... why so hard? It's almost like they designed it to be that way.

Originally Posted By: supton
I guess it's not a commonly done job, but still... why so hard? It's almost like they designed it to be that way.

Heater cores rarely go bad during the warranty period. That's all.

Half hour pulling out a dash would be a hack job.

Did a heater core job on my 76 Volvo 244DL, it was an all-day job.

It became VERY apparent that the car was built AROUND the heater core.

Was sore allover the next day. The car got parked for several years.

Core was leaking again. I simply signed the title and gave it to a friend.

He beat the [censored] outta it for months till it quit.

I did my first timing belt job on it, couldnt have been any easier.. 2hrs top taking your sweet time.

Lesson learned: no used junkyard cores.

Of the 32 cars I had, it was the only one that needed a heater core. And boy, it sure can outrun cops even in stock form. I'd own another in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

Half hour pulling out a dash would be a hack job.

...no it isn't
confused.gif

A hack job would be physiclly cutting, prying, and breaking things, to hastily complete the repair.

Watch the damm video, there's a difference between working hard, and working smart. If you worked suicide inducing flat rate, you'd soon learn the difference.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Many vehicles have "work arounds" regarding heater core replacement that save hours of work. You just need to have an innovative mindset and forgo the "book".

Here is one on the Ford Taurus that eliminates removal of the dash:

I think the heater core was the only part of my Taurus' cooling system that didn't leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back