Lost reverse in my V70 T5 1999 Automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there
Anybody of you "out" there had the same problem as me, or fixed?
I tried to see if this thread was already "out" there, but could not find "exactly" anything about reverse, or lost reverse
So, is anyone else this problem, or solution about this?
What did You do to "fix" this?
Do I tear the gearbox apart immediately, or is there anything else to do first?
My rig is an 1999 T5 Aut, starting to think about that M66 swap, but seems to much involved.. hmm, maybe soon..

Bye for now

Glenn

Yep!
Sometimes if I let it idle for a long time, suddenly I get reverse, but mainly, no reverse whatsoever..
The engine does not even change rpm or anything when putting in reverse..

I am not very familiar with this unit (I believe its a Aisin trans)

Usually Reverse pressure comes directly off the Manual Valve, Meaning if you lose reverse....The fluid level is way low, Or It has a burnt clutch pack/Band.

It's an AW-42. Had the same transmission in a Volvo 850.

Had the same problem. It's a common problem. The part I linked was the fix.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
what's the mileage?

Somewhere about 240000, yep, its true!
smile.gif

clinebarger, Astro14,
Thank You for Your inputs!
I really appreciate this!
smile.gif

The fact is that the rig drive fine forward, in all gears, just no reverse..
Except, like one time every second week or so, it surplices me, and suddenly engages and drives backward like nothing happened! (hmm.. had to be a female car)
smile.gif
emotional hehe
Yeah, I have to check the PNP (Neutral Safety & Reverse Light Switch) tomorrow, if its not raining! (I am in Oregon, you know)
And too, I checked the oil level, first thing I did!
smile.gif
Oil is still red and nice, no burned smell or so..
Thanx guys
Glenn

Hi again
Well, I unbolted that PNP, but mine doesn't look like that on the harness..?!
My "cable" that comes out from the switch is a smaller harness, connected together with all the other cables/switches and etc on the gear box, seems like one unit (the harness) together with the switch, hmm..

I finally got it out! (embarrassing), I did not see the "seam" on the main connector on that harness!! It was too dirty so I could not see the seam..
smile.gif

But now its out!
So what is the difference between that PNP/switch at IPD and the ones at Ebay?
The one at IPD, that says to be "original" Volvo, but made in Japan, and the other on Ebay, also made in Japan?
Believe me, I prefer to pay for quality, ..but $100 difference on a part made in the same country/origin..? And if the quality is the same?
Ideas?
If it was made by Volvo, IN Sweden, I pay gladly $200!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: theswede
I finally got it out! (embarrassing), I did not see the "seam" on the main connector on that harness!! It was too dirty so I could not see the seam..
smile.gif

But now its out!
So what is the difference between that PNP/switch at IPD and the ones at Ebay?
The one at IPD, that says to be "original" Volvo, but made in Japan, and the other on Ebay, also made in Japan?
Believe me, I prefer to pay for quality, ..but $100 difference on a part made in the same country/origin..? And if the quality is the same?
Ideas?
If it was made by Volvo, IN Sweden, I pay gladly $200!
smile.gif

Just because the country of origin is the same doesn't mean the part is the same, or the same quality.

With IPD you'll pay a lot but you'll get what they describe (so if they say it's made by the same people that made the original Volvo part, I would trust them on that). With others, you need to do your homework but you'll pay less.

I don't think Volvo made all that much in Sweden. I remember when I had mine a lot of the OEM parts were from Germany and other countries. I think they probably get parts from all over, then make the bodies and engines and do final assembly in Sweden (or wherever the factory happens to be).

So, now that you know how to get the part out - how hard would it be to get it out again? If it's a PITA, get the IPD part. If not, think about saving some money. That's how I would go, at least.

Originally Posted By: theswede
/Users/glennlindh/Desktop/Cars etc/VOLVO V70/IMG_4079.JPG

Try tinypic.com. Nice easy site to use for uploading pictures.

For reference: if you are on windows you can use the snipping tool for easy picture cropping. Go Start->All Programs->Accessories, and Snipping Tool is there. This will let you capture a screen shot pretty easily, then you can save that picture to your computer. Then upload that to tinypic (or similar site).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back