Synthetic (low pour point) ISO 22 fluid available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I got a log splitter the other day and notice that it seems to struggle a bit when the temps dip down into the teens and single digits (Fahrenheit). It calls for ISO 22 hydraulic oil and specifically mentions Mobil DTE 11 and Shell Telus 22 (neither of which appear to be available locally). However, I have no doubt that the factory fill is whatever the lowest bidder supplied FOB China. I was hoping for some sage advice on a good replacement oil that has a low enough pour point that I'm not SOL when the temps dip down. Something available by the gallon and carried by the likes of TractorSupply or even Amazon would be even better.

Best,

FG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
ISO22 is less than a 10 weight,talk about thin! ISO32 is 10W.

Thin indeed. I know nothing about hydraulic systems. Would there likely be any issue with using a more readily available fluid of a different viscosity?

Love the splitter. It was only $299 at TractorSupply and was making short work of 10-15" unseasoned (green) red oak when temps were 30-40F. Hoping my issues at lower temperatures will be sorted out with a higher quality oil that doesn't become playdoh at 0-10F.
smile.gif

Last edited:
The only thing I've been able to find that's got a decent pour point and available by the gallon is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Renewable-Lubricants-Bio-Food-Hydraulic-Container/dp/B00C3M4DQ0

Anyone ever heard of this manufacturer?

I'm trying to avoid buying a 5 gallon pail of hydraulic fluid that costs about half of what I paid for the tool itself when the suggested oil change interval is 150 hours (as if any Chinese hydraulic tool is going to last even THAT long...but I digress).
smile.gif

Best,

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
If you have dealer near you they will have it on the shelf and save you shipping.

And so they did.
smile.gif

Thanks!

Glad I could be of some assistance. All of their fluids are top of the line and competitively priced.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
If you have dealer near you they will have it on the shelf and save you shipping.

And so they did.
smile.gif

Thanks!
It is a multi viscosity fluid which "wears out" more quickly than typical fluids; I'd change it every perhaps twice as often as with conventional fluids, or base on analysis if you have it done.

Much better performance with the John Deere fluid in cold temps. Changing the fluid only takes about 5 mins. Highly recommended. The original fluid seemed noticeably thicker.

Good to hear its working good for you, there isn't much else readily available that is as a high quality low temp fluid as low-vis.

I know nothing about the Toyota product, but have heard bad things about Dex VI in systems not designed for it. It is aggressive with seals.

I just looked at my old fluid listing in Lightning Reference Handbook; quite a few oil manufacturers have a "arctic" fluid with pour points in the -60 range and VI high enough to not cause problems; Exxon Univis HVI, ARCO Arctic, BelRay Raylene, Castron Hyspin, Conoco DN600 are a few ... but I have not confirmed they still are made.

I've used hydraulic damper fluids in reluctant JCB hydraulics before with good results....works out a little pricy mind.

Dextron VI ATF is an ISO 26, or about half way between
a 32 and 22 hyd fluid.
Shell aero LGF is ISO 13.
If you can buy it one liter at a time it is about
the same price as atf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back