PCMO in a new Ecodiesel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched a guy on youtube change the oil on his 2014 Ram Ecodiesel. The shocking part is he refilled it with Quaker State Ultimate Durability!!!! Am I right to be shocked? It doesnt meet warranty specs but the most shocking part is its a PCMO and its not going to handle soot very well. Well, thats the way Ive always understood it. Diesel oil in a gas engine is ok but not the other way around. If Im wrong please correct me. Hopefully Dnewton3 will chime in...

Sounds like you're right to me unless there's something special about this engine I'm not aware of.

Share the video here so we can comment on his video.

It requires Pennzoil Euro L for warranty. ACEA/ B3 or something along those lines. It definetley needs a diesel speced oil and QS isnt.

Last edited:
If this guy is on to something I may start recommending PYB 5w-30 for every 6.0 Powerstroke.
cool.gif

On not watching a 46 minute video for this guy's fail.

Skimmed through and caught him saying he's using the QSUD because it gets him more mileage out of his diesel exhaust fluid.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
If this guy is on to something I may start recommending PYB 5w-30 for every 6.0 Powerstroke.
cool.gif

How else is the average guy going to maintain his head gasket fund? Or his turbo fund? Much less his cylinder head fund...

Originally Posted By: steveh
QSUD European L 5W30 can be used in that engine.

Thats not Euro L in those bottles.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
cool.gif

How else is the average guy going to maintain his head gasket fund? Or his turbo fund? Much less his cylinder head fund...

Lmao

Right, That QSUD is not a diesel oil. It is a gas rated oil. This guy is a nut. While he may have some idea about the short term, it would be fun to see how soot issues in that diesel play out and the big ticket items... the SCR and DPF systems. Forget some Euro spec stuff, it wouldn't qualify as a basic CJ-4 oil that is required in the U.S. for the diesel emissions systems.

Of course, he went thru all the lengthy disclaimers at the beginning, so no one will be able to legally do anything. Almost makes me think this guy's purpose was to steer others wrong and laugh at them in the long term.

I skimmed through this video and watched a total of about 3 minutes. I got a kick out of how he shook and rattled that bottle of Lucas to empty it. As I saw the neck get dusty and dirty, I had to wonder if he was dumping dust and dirt into the oil fill hole.

He drives 120,000 miles a year, Priority One Overnight freight delivery service.
He is looking to get 600,000 miles from the truck.

He said in the video his wear metals are reduced by 50% with this combo of lubricants, compared to factory OC.

Do you think he will see 600,000 miles using oil for gasoline engines? Especially having a DPF requiring a Low SAPS diesel engine oil?

Do you think he will see 600,000 miles using oil for gasoline engines? Especially having a DPF requiring a Low SAPS diesel engine oil?

I find it optimistic that the wear metals were reduced by 50% over OEM OC.
I always thought what he is doing is a big No No, but his results are very positive.
If they are consistent Over the next 120,000 miles maybe OEMs need to rethink their diesel lines.
Something could grenade as well, he is experimenting, where it leads who knows.
I am watching now that's for sure.

He didn't get a 50% reduction in wear metals. No way, Jose. I doubt you'd even see that much improvement comparing a UOA after the engine is well broken-in (no more break-inm metals) to a UOA of the factory fill (lots of break-in metals).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back