Do we need to add anything to pump gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be reading the threads on "does brand of gas matter" (I am of the contention of that it does not, but I both regular dose and maintenance dose Redline SI-1 to off-set that, and make it BETTER than the SUPPOSED brand gas, since it is only an additive package added from regional suppliers....) and about compression ratio vs octane soon. But, this is more to address if I should continue adding 1oz. Acetone every 2nd or 3rd tank.

Yes? No? And, the larger question... DO we need to add anything to pump gas?

I don't. Use many different brands and have not had a problem since the use of E10 has been common. I tried the acetone before a few years ago. 1oz is nothing in a tank of gas.

Add 4oz of benzine to 10 gallons and now your talking.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Add 4oz of benzine to 10 gallons and now your talking.

Please assume that I do not know what that is, nor what it does.. school me?

And my research on pure Acetone seemed to lead me to believe that *very small* doses seem to *mostly* have a *small but positive* effect in MPG. I saw the ones where mileage decreased. I believe they used more than 1oz.. every time.

I am far from an expert in this area but in general, I would consider additives a waste of money and resources. As my mechanic friend used to call it "hope in a can"

I add 3-oz's of TCW-3 (per 10 gallons) and 8-oz's of Chevron with Techron Plus each month.

If there is no carbon build up on the injectors, pistons, intake valves, ect....then NO. The most important thing is to use a
gasoline that has a good amount of detergent already in it at the pump. Look at the toptier.org site and find a gasoline that is top tier rated, they have enough detergent to prevent any carbon build up on those parts I mentioned earlier, and can also clean those parts with repeated use.

If you want to you can use a bottle additive like Techron Concentrate, Gumout Regane, or Redline LS-1 that has high PEA detergent levels if you suspect that there is excessive carbon build up...

Better yet make sure the mechanical items are in good working order before spending money on any additives.

Benzene is agreat octane booster. But you will have a hard time getting it and it is not too user friendly. I used it back in the 70;s when I had a car that had bad spark knock.

But I don't use anything now. E10 is a great fuel system cleaner.

Some people may, but YOU don't.

YOU never need additives or magical fluids. YOU need hard parts like for example those getting your recovered, stolen wheels back on the road.

Just pump it in the tank. Easy peasy. Don't sweat the chemical question. I don't. Mine run just fine.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Some people may, but YOU don't.

YOU never need additives or magical fluids. YOU need hard parts like for example those getting your recovered, stolen wheels back on the road.

True dat!
thumbsup2.gif

If this is for the Expedition, it uses enough gas that you should just save your money, buy top tier gas and spend the money saved on.... more gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back