Gas Line Antifreeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....what? Is it necessary? Isn't this already in gas? Wouldn't SeaFoam, or even straight Acetone work better?

68ba12d89458bbac682f6787ac71b6f2.jpg

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: dave123
If you run E10 gas you do not need it

And that is what pump gas is in the winter months, right?

In most areas yes most states mandate to say it on the pump winter summer doesn't matter.

Its just a profit maker for those who are stuck in the 70s and cannot accept the fact that nearly all fuel(not just winter) is E10.

...as well as in Spring, Summer and Fall, with rare exceptions.
As dave123 noted, pump gas has all the alcohol you need to absorb any condensation which might freeze.

In most areas yes most states mandate to say it on the pump winter summer doesn't matter.

thumbsup2.gif
Glad my memory did not fail me.

So... to recap: Gas "does not change" from "E10" (where it says "This gas may contain up to 10% Ethanol" on the pumps).. even in the spring/fall/winter?

I always heard that "winter gas is [censored]"

And I can see that the pictured product is unnecessary..

Gas line antifreeze is a different type of alcohol than ethanol. Ethanol is added to reduce pollution. From what I understand, it will not let water freeze but the water may not burn with the gas. Gas line antifreeze is mostly made from isopropyl alcohol
which will allow the water to burn properly with gasoline. So if you know that you may have some water in your tank, adding a small bottle of gas line antifreeze will help.

And what about those of us who know there is 0% Ethanol in the fuel we use? I only buy E-0. And don't say I'm being fooled. I test my fuel. I guess I'm stuck in the '70s (and not even 30 years old).

So... to recap: Gas "does not change" from "E10" (where it says "This gas may contain up to 10% Ethanol" on the pumps).. even in the spring/fall/winter?

And with that post I'm 100% convinced........
Glad to see you back ght. I'll admit I've actually missed you a bit.

How do you test your fuel? And is it a go/no-go test or a percentage result?

Originally Posted By: tony1679
And what about those of us who know there is 0% Ethanol in the fuel we use? I only buy E-0. And don't say I'm being fooled. I test my fuel. I guess I'm stuck in the '70s (and not even 30 years old).

Can you show me where you learned that? I have a minor in chemistry, and water is miscible with both isopropyl and ethyl alcohol, and both alcohols are soluble in gasoline. I can't imagine it makes a difference.

And the water never "burns" no matter how you get it into the combustion chamber.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
Gas line antifreeze is a different type of alcohol than ethanol. Ethanol is added to reduce pollution. From what I understand, it will not let water freeze but the water may not burn with the gas. Gas line antifreeze is mostly made from isopropyl alcohol
which will allow the water to burn properly with gasoline. So if you know that you may have some water in your tank, adding a small bottle of gas line antifreeze will help.

i agree that testing the fuels is the only way to know for sure whether the pump literature is correct as to what you are getting.

i'll repeat that every state's renewable fuel mandate is and or can be different as to what fuels are mandated to have ethanol. Also just because a particular grade is exempt, does not mean it does not have ethanol in it( the individual jobber is left to decide whether he wants to mix ethanol in it or not).

the above is because our gub'ment enacted the standard but left it for every state to decide how they would meet the mandate, there fore the differences.

Now that having been said, i also keep good records on my mpg and try to go with the fuel that is returning my best mpg. Inevetibly i believe that even if you do pump E0, that there may be some E10 left in the hose or line from the previous user of the product.

on ediit: I'll say this again, the RFS is a convoluted mess, in more ways than one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Can you show me where you learned that? I have a minor in chemistry, and water is miscible with both isopropyl and ethyl alcohol, and both alcohols are soluble in gasoline. I can't imagine it makes a difference.

And the water never "burns" no matter how you get it into the combustion chamber.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
+1

Even a E1 is a .10 of a gallon of ethanol or 12 oz per 10 gallons of gasoline.

If you are running E0 then you have the old school water in the gas problems.

Look at some of the gas treatments, fuel injector cleaners, and fuel stabilizers
and even products like Sea Foam and you will see that they contain Isopropyl Alcohol.
Why would they if 99% of all gasoline contains up to 10% Ethanol? Ever wonder why so many people have problems with their small gas engines and even marine engines?
What I read is that Ethanol is hygroscopic and absorbs water which leads to water condensation inside fuel tanks, fuel lines etc. Isopropyl alcohol will help to absorb system moisture. Isopropyl-based additives will combine with the water molecules and remove the moisture through the combustion chamber.
So to answer the OP's question, the gas line antifreeze you buy will most likely contain Isopropyl or Methyl alcohol which is not the same as Ethanol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
How do you test your fuel? And is it a go/no-go test or a percentage result?

Originally Posted By: tony1679

Simple, pour "x" amount of water into a graduated cylinder. Note where the water level is. Then add "y" amount of fuel. Seal and shake, then wait 1 minute. Water and gasoline do not mix, so if the water level rises it means ethanol is present. Obviously this is the simple explanation, and this is not exactly scientific, but it gives you an idea. With a little math you can actually test the percentage of ethanol, if present.

It must be a fuel quality issue, we get some extremely cold winters here in the UK and ive never had frozen fuel or lines. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back