Who shreds their own cheese?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, I have always used the pre shredded stuff. The other day I bought a 8 oz. block of colby jack and grated it myself for a dish I was making. You know I thought it tasted better? I looked at the label of the pre shred stuff and it has extra stuff.

Think I will shred my own from now on.

Shredding your own has several advantages. The cheese you use today is fresher. And you tend to not use too much, which is a health benefit. Plus, as you pointed out, the preshredded stuff is not all cheese.

The preshredded type will use an anti-caking product typically cellulose to prevent the sticking and it does dry out a little more. Usually I shred parmesan for pastas. Very easy and much better.

Good, I am not losing my mind, LOL.
it was a bit sticky but worth it and it takes no time to shred 8 oz.
Dont know why it took so long for me to figure this out!

I do and here is what I use:

2r38cqf.jpg

When I saw the post I thought 'shredding your own cheese' was a euphemism, but it's a question?! Bags of shredded cheese? Wow! You really do learn something every day

We do both. Last night we had tacos and used the pre-shredded stuff, but sometimes we shred it from a block. It definitely tastes better when you shred it yourself. Then there's the bonus of getting to eat that last little piece that's too small to shred.
smile.gif

Only downside is it takes more time and makes more dishes.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I do and here is what I use:

2r38cqf.jpg

Thats what I used , just dont shred your knuckles!
whistle.gif

Hello, Parmesan is well known table cheese. Use it on pasta dishes, in scrambled eggs, salads or wherever YOU want.
They're your taste buds!

May I recommend Locatelli Romano cheese? It has a thin, brown paper rind.
It has much more flavor than any parmesan can possibly have. You will use less.

Hand grate before use. Pre grated / shredded cheese loses flavor. You will use more.

I'm not in the cheese or food industry etc. Kira

I do lately. It does taste better and cheaper per pound usually. Win win! I like to buy a big block of natural pepperjack or Colby for most stuff. Mmm!

You get more cheese in a block than preshredded. I also think cheese stays fresher as a block..at least here blocks of cheese are always cheaper than preshredded.I always shred my own.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Parmesan is well known table cheese. Use it on pasta dishes, in scrambled eggs, salads or wherever YOU want.
They're your taste buds!

Hand grate before use. Pre grated / shredded cheese loses flavor. You will use more.

I get a parmesan that is grated fresh in little italy (italian part of our city) that is so buttery and delicious..parmesan takes on a whole new meaning when you try authentic stuff and not kraft stuff on a shelf!!

I love parmesan,and always buy it fresh by the wedge and shred it myself. Night and day difference between the nasty canned stuff! tastes like a completely different cheese. Anyone who likes parmesan owes really needs to try it!

It's a budget issue for me.Food is expensive enough,i don't want to pay more than needed to supply basics like cheese.The big block/wedge is way cheaper than pre-packaged.

Originally Posted By: Kira
They're your taste buds!

Pecorino Romano (Imported from Italy) and Parmigiano Reggiano (not the parmesan junk) are two different animals, pun intended. Romano is made from sheeps milk and Parmigiano is made from cow's milk. They are completely different tasting. Furthermore, Romano is saltier and only used in it's grated format where Parm can also be served on a cheese board.

I enjoy both and grate them at home; Including cheddar and mozz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back