Castrol EDGE 0w20 - 4,892mi - 2013 Mazda CX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time analysis on our 2013 Mazda CX-5 with 32,966 miles on the engine and 4,892mi on this OCI of the Castrol Edge (formerly Syntec) 0w20. I heard the direct injection Skyactiv engines are know for fuel dilution resulting in lower viscosity. This one definitely falls into that category. Any recommendations for oils that stand up better to fuel dilution?

The oil can't magically make the fuel % lower. You are running a top tier synthetic. It looks like it did its job just fine. Oil was changed well below condemnation limits.

A dino oil (Havoline 5W-20) at a 3,000 mile OCI might work.

Also, a Gp III synthetic (Valvoline Synpower) might allow you to keep your current 5,000 mile change interval.

I'd avoid top tier Gp IV and V synthetics.

icepickjazz should put in a 0w-30 oil for initial fill, expecting the fuel dilution to thin it out to a 0w-20 oil later on. Reserve viscosity.

Castrol synblend 5w-20 starts out at almost a 30 grade but I don't know if it's as good as your Castrol Edge (formerly Syntec). The add pack prevented metal to metal contact.

In Europe Mazda specs 0w-30 in skyactive engines. So you could Probertly use that without problems.

Originally Posted By: shDK
In Europe Mazda specs 0w-30 in skyactive engines. So you could Probertly use that without problems.

dont Mazda euro sleds have a higher compression ratio as well as different regulations for fuel. Which may have an effect on lubricant selection as well as possible different formulations being deemed optimal.
So not a consistent comparison once the various different variables are included.
It's possible that the differences aren't worth mentioning,or they might be important. I am not familiar with any japanese vehicles. I like big ,simple engines with large volumes of torque,and I like to service my property and since I'm familiar with domestic vehicles I'm comfortable sticking with them.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

dont Mazda euro sleds have a higher compression ratio as well as different regulations for fuel. Which may have an effect on lubricant selection as well as possible different formulations being deemed optimal.
So not a consistent comparison once the various different variables are included.
It's possible that the differences aren't worth mentioning,or they might be important. I am not familiar with any japanese vehicles. I like big ,simple engines with large volumes of torque,and I like to service my property and since I'm familiar with domestic vehicles I'm comfortable sticking with them.

You are right they have higher compression in Europe. I cannot say if that has anything to do with the oil specs. But I do know for sure that the older Mazda mzr engines where identical in Europe and the US. And back then there where still a difference, the Europe spec was 5-30 and the US 5-20.

It was the same when Ford used those engines under the Duratec name.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
0.2 for titanium? What oil did you run before?

Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 (not Pure Plus)

Zikes 8 percent fuel dilution??? "Wear numbers" are fantastic in spite of it though, viscosity would make me lose sleep even though the results look good.

With that kind of fuel dilution I think you be better off with more frequent OCI's.

Valvoline has done well on fuel diluting vehicles before viscosity wise but I don't see how any oil is going to hold up to 8%.

The simplest fix is run premium fuel. Otherwise you can go up to a w30 like Mobil1 0W-30.

I wouldn't freak out about it. Fuel dilution hasn't shown to do any harm at this point in any engine.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

The CX-5 should have the same compression in USA and europe. I thought it was only the Mazda3 that had the 12:1 instead of 13.1. Either way, it is high compression regardless of the value. The differences aren't significant.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The simplest fix is run premium fuel. Otherwise you can go up to a w30 like Mobil1 0W-30.

I wouldn't freak out about it. Fuel dilution hasn't shown to do any harm at this point in any engine.

Why is running Premium fuel a fix? Just curious. Thanks.

Is it possible that at 32k miles the rings are still seating? A possible cause for continuing fuel dilution. Does the early switch to full synthetic delay ring seating? Is this why some OEMs have synthetic blends? Maybe try a run of syn-blend oil - then go back to full synthetic and check dilution. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

These engines lean out the A:F mixture when on premium (less fuel). These high compression engines were designed to run on premium and then provided bandaids in order to run on regular.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

These engines lean out the A:F mixture when on premium (less fuel). These high compression engines were designed to run on premium and then provided bandaids in order to run on regular.

Good point.

The M1 0w30/5w30EP both have HT/HS of 3.0. It's a nice low 30 grade so I'd be totally fine using either in this engine.

X2 on Premium fuel and doing frequent "Italian Tune-ups" to help build up some heat and burn off the fuel. My 2014 Skyactic doesn't have any fuel in the oil analysis with Premium fuel and aggressive driving.

Either way the results look ok but I'd be very interested in seeing you run Premium fuel for 5,000 miles and check the results. No one has done any concrete testing if this area, just a few UOAs where Premium fuel is used and the results don't show fuel dilution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back