Oil to clean 2005 ford expedition. 92,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure of the oil used in the past. Just looking into the future what oil to use. Ill most likely use m5000 dino with a ultra filter. oci at 5000 miles and use the ultra 2 times. Everything else I own I use syn but this one I really don't plan on it. its got a 5.4 v8 triton engine.

I have the same engine (3V 5.4) in my F-350. Mine really seems to like Maxlife 5W-20. The Mobil 5000 should work well too. I use the Motorcraft FL-820S. I do 5000 mile OVId and change the filter every time.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
PYB would be solid since you plan on sticking with dino.

^This!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I have the same engine (3V 5.4) in my F-350. Mine really seems to like Maxlife 5W-20. The Mobil 5000 should work well too. I use the Motorcraft FL-820S. I do 5000 mile OVId and change the filter every time.

+1 if you want to use dino juice. I believe 5k is the factory recommendation? Later years went to 7,500 like in my V10. Severe is now 5k miles, which I run hauling 14k pounds. Stick with the Motorcraft filter and the body will rust out first.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Rotella 10W30. and what evedence do you have that it needs to be cleaned?

The OP is in NY, there is absolutely no reason to run a 10w-30. Ford has recommended 5w-20 for 15 years now, it works.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 AFE or EP 0w-20.

^^^^ this with a Fram Ultra using a proper OCI of course.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 AFE or EP 0w-20.

^^^^ this with a Fram Ultra.

thumbsup2.gif

Where can I find some evidence of PYB cleaning abilities?

Not that I don't believe it, but I would like to see what the prevelant forum opinion is based on.

Amsoil signature 0w20 with the Fram Ultra change oil after 7500 miles, run the filter twice.

Do you have a suspicion of the engine being dirty? Most 5.4s are super easy on oil even quicky lube dino for crazy mileage. You really have to try hard to sludge those engines.

Well I don't live in ny anymore. I moved too Maui HI. The expedition was bought in maui. I noticed varnish on the dipstick so I figured it could use a cleaning. The vehicle came with a printout of all the service when my wife got the vehicle but who really knows if that's the truth.

I could be wrong but I didn't notice both the ford specs on any dino oil except for m5000. Even some of the synthetics I use don't carry both specs so when I read the back of mobil 5000 and saw both specs I figured that's what I would use. Id like to switch to synthetic because that's all I ever use in my other vehicles but what synthetics carry both ford specs?

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
I could be wrong but I didn't notice both the ford specs on any dino oil except for m5000. Even some of the synthetics I use don't carry both specs so when I read the back of mobil 5000 and saw both specs I figured that's what I would use. Id like to switch to synthetic because that's all I ever use in my other vehicles but what synthetics carry both ford specs?

If using a top tier product like mobil 1 I wouldn't concern myself at all about whether or not it states it is certified. It's a domestic V8 and therefore will run on just about any oil you pour in.
I'm not a fan of mobil at all however they do make a top quality product for dollar store prices,when compared to the boutiques.

I would use conventional with low price filter for 2-3 short OCI's of around 2-3k, then switch to synthetic with higher price filters such as Fram Ultra and do normal OCI's of 8-10k.

According to your manual:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/05exdog3e.pdf

Originally Posted By: Ford
To protect your engine’s warranty use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an
equivalent 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A.

The following Mobil 1 products have this:
- 5w-20

The AFE 0w-20 and the EP 0w-20 have the following Ford approval:
Ford WSS-M2C947-A

Which is their new 0w-20 approval and in my personal opinion, should be interchangeable with their 5w-20 approval, as it is newer and likely supersedes it.

The M1 EP 5w-20 has:
Ford WSS-M2C945-A
Ford WSS-M2C930-A

So it would be another excellent choice, particularly given your climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back