Car battery advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Corolla, which I purchased new, will be 10 yrs old this April and is still using the original battery. During the cold spell we are having here in Michigan, it is taking longer and more cranking to get it started. I am thinking it's time to start researching into a new battery.

The only thing I know about car batteries is how to install them. In the past, I just go to Sears, tell them the vehicle I was buying for and they'd sell me a battery. I take it home, install it and works fine. They've all been Die Hards but this time I'm looking for something better, maybe? Recommendations and advice on what to look for and brands will all be considered and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Probably the best 3 options right now are (in no particular order:)

1. Wal-Mart: Maxx

2: Advance Auto Parts: Gold or Silver. The buy is to buy online with a discount code (usually up to 40%) then go into the store for pickup/installation

If you are a member (or aspire to be:)

3. Costco: They are now selling Interstate batteries. Good price, decent warranty (if you maintain membership)

All generally are Johnson Control batteries.

There are only 3 major manufacturers of conventional car batteries sold in the U.S.: Exide, Johnson Controls Industries and East Penn. The Exides are garbage, but JCI and East Penn are good batteries. Costco sells Interstate labeled JCI batteries and Sam's Club carries Duracell labeled East Penn units at a decent everyday price. Otherwise, you can use an Advance Auto discount code to get an Autocraft labeled JCI battery at a reasonable price. JCI makes most of the Sears Die Hard batteries.

Last edited:
I run a bus fleet in Michigan and have had all different brands over 30 years . None really stand out . Just get any premium brand and you will be good to go. We currently use Exides or Napa.
Congratulations on having a battery last 10 years, but they really should be replaced much sooner just to save wear and tear on your electrical system. Less than $100.00 every 4 years or so is cheap compared to replacing failing computers or alternators

I went to my local Toyota dealer here in canada and they sell East Penn made batteries. I am still on the original at 125k miles and they tested it for me and confirmed its still good. My advice have it tested at a Toyota dealer (i had it tested elsewhere and they told me it was bad when it was still good...) get the print out. If it really is bad..id recommend any johnson controls made battery. My original was made by them and my battery is still testing close to excellent..(i was shocked to see the battery testing almost as good as new). Still starts fine these days. I tried turning car lights on for 10 seconds, turn them off, than turn car to "on" for 5 seconds before starting. It seems to make starts easier for me on my 07 at least.

Avoid Exide if possible.. In the past 15 years, I have used the economy series battery from Wal-Mart with no regrets (made by Johnson) and the one in my Toyota is 7-8 years old; its dying but still reliable. There are more expensive options out there, but that is what I use and I've been happy with the product.

Thank you everyone for your input. I forgot to put in my original post that I'm looking for a battery that can stand in the extreme cold (like right now when the wind chill is in the -10 -20 range) and less than $150.00.

With that said, Optimas are out of my price range while Bosch is not readily available in my area (couldn't find specs on Bosch either or their price). There are no Costco near me (that I know of) and I might use my father in laws' Sams card to look at Interstate and also other brands at walmart. If worse comes to worse, I'll stick with Sears and Die Hard.

Originally Posted By: bradepb

Congratulations on having a battery last 10 years, but they really should be replaced much sooner just to save wear and tear on your electrical system. Less than $100.00 every 4 years or so is cheap compared to replacing failing computers or alternators

Wow, thanks for the advice, I did not realize that old batteries would cause wear and tear on electronics in the car. Will have to replace stat, now.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I tried turning car lights on for 10 seconds, turn them off, than turn car to "on" for 5 seconds before starting. It seems to make starts easier for me on my 07 at least.

I will try that trick. Thanks for the advice.
thumbsup2.gif

At AAP Grp 35 Auto Craft Gold, three year full replacement warranty, $137.99 with core ($18) return. Use online code WD51A(expires 1/10 11:59ET), 35% off $50+, final cost with core return $89.69.

Made by Johnson Controls. Silver ~$20 less but only 2 year warranty. Gold worth the extra imo.

As mentioned, avoid Exide. I usually get Interstate (Johnson Controls). They routinely last 10 years; I even got 10 years out of one in Northern VT when I lived there. Exide batteries will give slightly less than 1/2 that with same care/treatment/climate/usage.

Firestone sells Interstate so a good place to go; look for coupons - usually won't find one in Dec/Jan!(if you pick up instead of install, they will delete mandatory installation charge, not an issue). Other sources for JC batteries as mentioned are good, too. Avoid Exide at all costs.

Oh and another question. Sears takes my old battery and gives me something like a $10.00 off the new battery. Do other places do that or is that just a Sears thing?

^^^^Generally referred to as Core return charge. As in the previous example $18 at AAP. No core (in this case battery) return, you pay the extra.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
At AAP Grp 35 Auto Craft Gold, three year full replacement warranty, $137.99 with core ($18) return. Use online code WD51A(expires 1/10 11:59ET), 35% off $50+, final cost with core return $89.69.

Made by Johnson Controls. Silver ~$20 less but only 2 year warranty. Gold worth the extra imo.

Whoa! I like the looks of that!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eosyn
Thank you everyone for your input. I forgot to put in my original post that I'm looking for a battery that can stand in the extreme cold (like right now when the wind chill is in the -10 -20 range) and less than $150.00.

I don't think you can get an AGM battery for under $150. But that would be what fits your desires.

And geez, you're on BITOG and kept the same battery in for 10 years? Applause.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Perfect, the Pilot is due for it's 4-year switchout. Buying this now........

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

And geez, you're on BITOG and kept the same battery in for 10 years? Applause.

Well, uh, um... LOL. 1. I figure If it ain't broke, don't fix it. and 2. trying to get the most out of the item, kinda like us BITOGers trying to extend our OCIs
27.gif

My advice to you is buy one online through AAP using the 35% off code and get their autocraft gold for a very good price and warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back