03 Escape ABS constantly engaging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I was stuck in the snow and had to spin/rock back and fourth a bit to get the truck out. The snow was not high enough to cover the brakes/ABS sensors. Ever since I first drove the truck this morning, the ABS brakes are engaging whenever I touch the brake pedal. It is extremely annoying and preventing me from stopping properly. There are no brake or ABS lights of any kind on. I figured some snow or dirt was flung onto a sensor or axle ring. I let the truck sit in the garage for two hours to try to defrost it. Although Im sure with the weather as cold as it is then it never got warm enough in there anyway. I also reset the battery during this time, but when I test drove the problem remained. I also went to the self service car wash and blasted under all four corners of the truck and around the wheels to try to dislodge some snow. This failed to work as well. Shops around here want 50 bucks to do a diagnostic. Any other ideas?? I am at a loss and do not have money to put into the truck right now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I recently had the same problem with my Ford truck. They wound up having to replace a front rotor. Apparently the ring that the abs counts had either broken off or rusted off.

check the tone ring that walterjay's talking about. they corrode and crack, not to fret they're easy enough to replace. check youtube for the video. I bought a couple off of ebay for about 20

The tone rings are part of the CV axles. Rotate the front wheels slowly while looking at them. They are a common failure to have a split in them. Otherwise you will need a scan tool that can read the codes and/or live data to see whats not reading right.

Originally Posted By: Stainless1020
Last night I was stuck in the snow and had to spin/rock back and fourth a bit to get the truck out. The snow was not high enough to cover the brakes/ABS sensors. Ever since I first drove the truck this morning, the ABS brakes are engaging whenever I touch the brake pedal.

Is this happening on clear roads with no snow or ice? I pulled the ABS fuse on my truck when I was 4 wheeling in snow because tires will inevitably spin causing the ABS to go nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back