01 Nissan Sentra (gas smell from air vents)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting the smell of unburn fuel through my air vents. Its not real strong, but enough to notice. Thought at first that maybe it was on my feet from when I filled up last night but the matts are clean and no odor. I do not remember putting my gas cap back and Im about to check when I get off work but someone said that can cause gasoline odor inside the car. My question is how can simply not putting on your gas cap allow fumes to enter the passenger compartment? Or, can that happen?

Maybe a fuel injector leaking? I had to change the o-rings on the fuel injectors on my 2000 Mercury a couple weeks back. One was leaking and you could smell it through the vents....would get worse when you stopped.

Check the fuel rail where the push-on fuel lines connect to it. You won't be able to see the leak, so you're have to run your finger along there and check for wetness on your finger.

yes, I'm aware of all those scenarios and that could be what it is.. My only question is..is it possible to get gas odor through your vents due to a missing fuel cap?

If you recently got gas and overfilled the tank... some of the gas may have entered the evap system.

Had 91 sentra, never should have sold it. Bet the leak is in the engine area, don't delay on this it could burn your car up.

I had an old bmw that would leak a little gas at single digit temps. It ended up being loose clamps on rubber fuel hoses that had shrunk from the cold. Above 20 degrees or so there was no leak.

A leaking fuel injector seal would probably cause bad running, that you would notice.

I wouldn't think you would smell gas if you left the gas cap off.

With Maximas, cracked fuel lines between the rails, and supply/return lines will cause this in colder weather. Warmer weather allows them to become pliable again and seal back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back