CV Axle Boot grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
so during engine installation, the passenger side axle's boot clamp came off and leaked the grease inside, the vehicle hasn't been driven as I have ordered a new OEM clamp for the boot, now what kind of grease should I pack before installing the new clamp onto the boot?

We have this heavy duty (thick) "black" grease that is in a big drum attached to a grease gun, this grease is used in the Private Charter Buses we have, is this okay to use or should I get something else?

any links would be appreciated as I would do some research before buying tomorrow, I do buy from AAP because I get 40% off online!

You can get CV grease in a small squeeze tube, just enough to fill the joint, anywhere for a couple of dollars. Not a big deal and to me not worth an online purchase or dealing with freight charges.

Last edited:
You should buy the packet of proper grease and not use the stuff in the drum as its not the proper stuff. Normally the grease comes with a new CV boot.

Unless this a front CV on a jacked 4x4 with IFS, the drum of general black bearing/brake grease is just fine.

Also if you have not driven it, I can not see how any significant amount of grease could have leaked out or been thrown out. I have a number of full time AWD and also 4x4 vehicles and unless driven with busted boots, you can't really leak the grease out w/o driving it a fair amount.

What is the vehicle and is it altered from stock? Basic info for diagnosis.

It is also hard to imagine the clamp was damaged severely enough to break it, but the boot was not damaged. Possible, but worth investigating closely.

Last edited:
Not all CV joints take grease. Some do indeed have an oil inside.

So you need to know what you need.

Is there any chance dirt got inside? If so, youll need to clean really well so you dont scuff the case-hardened components.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Just because "oil" poured out of the boot when you disconnected it doesn't necessarily mean it was "oil" when it went in.

For example, Toyota's OE CV-joint grease consists of different formulations for outer and inner joints.
Out of the tube, they look and feel the same, but are in fact different. In use, the outer joint's grease stays thick and greasy, but the inner plunge-joint's grease will get runny, like oil.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
For example, Toyota's OE CV-joint grease consists of different formulations for outer and inner joints.
Out of the tube, they look and feel the same, but are in fact different. In use, the outer joint's grease stays thick and greasy, but the inner plunge-joint's grease will get runny, like oil.

2006 Toyota Camry, the boot clamp got bent and came off, no damage to the boot itself.

It was the outter boot towards the wheel end of the axle, semi-thick oil (looked dark brown in color) poured out, did not look like grease to me but what do I know.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
It was the outter boot towards the wheel end of the axle, semi-thick oil (looked dark brown in color) poured out, did not look like grease to me

Well, both inner and outer will liquefy in use, but the inner will liquefy a lot more than the outer.

Outer joint: old, goopy grease. Some of it glorped into that Tupperware container.
outer-old.jpg

Outer joint: old excess wiped off.
outer-old-excess-wiped-off.jpg

Inner joint: old, runny grease (same Tupperware container).
tripod-old.jpg

Inner joint: new grease. Oddly, I have no pic of the outer with new grease.
tripod-fresh.jpg

Originally both OE greases were different colors, but I forget what those colors were. Now both OE greases are yellow.

Tegger you did that as a maintenance thing? sounds brilliant to me, was that on a Toyota? and also your Toyota dealer was able to order the grease for you?

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Just because "oil" poured out of the boot when you disconnected it doesn't necessarily mean it was "oil" when it went in.

I know for a fact that in the older Mercedes cars, the OE CV axles were filled with a viscous oil, not a grease.

If grease is supplied with the kit, use it. Otherwise, make sure it has plenty of moly in it. Moly is a material that stains like crazy though, similar to graphite in that sense. Don't get it anywhere. Also, if you have a cut in your hand and it gets in there, you will have tattooed yourself permanently.

My favorite grease is Valvoline Fully Synthetic -- great temperature range, durability, and extreme-pressure protection. However, it's hard to find:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0SD17N1205

A5D5_1_20141212107157516.jpg

Tegger you did that as a maintenance thing?

Yes.

was that on a Toyota?

Yes. A 1999 Tercel, our other car. This vehicle has unequal-length driveshafts. The shaft in the pics is the shorter of the two. Short shafts will have greater angular travel, making boot-life shorter as well. The long side still has its OE boot; it's been developing a crack for years, but I figured I could get one more winter before replacement. I'll probably do that one this summer.

your Toyota dealer was able to order the grease for you?

Yes. All parts and greases were from the dealer. In fact, our Tercel has no aftermarket parts at all; it's OE right down to the wiper blades and light bulbs.

Awesome Tegger, I will do that to all my cars, they all have original axles.

Only time I needed to replace axles were my Hondas, none of my toyotas required it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back