Can Royal Purple afford it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

McDonalds or who ever got sued because someone burnt themselves spilling hot coffee because there was no warnings.[/color]

Watch the documentary, "Hot Coffee"......The McDonald's case was not about what you think it was about.

I will. Thanks for the heads up. Admittedly I dont know much about that other than what I have heard.

I will watch this documentary. I have mentioned this case before, in my previous line of work. Not knowing many details, though.

Sense of entitlement people need to PAY for their stuff or *bleep* too. It gets pretty bad, what people feel they "deserve." Without paying for.

Want to see jerks? Work at a drive-thru. Wow...

If I was the judge in that Mickey d's thing,I would've put the plaintiff in jail if she was unemployed,and if employed,I would've made her work a 2nd job at Mickey D's for free until I felt like she was ready to stop haha.

That'd be like suing a doughnut company because you ate one of their doughnuts and felt it was too delicious,kind've the same way the hot coffee was hot.

That woman is just a criminal and opportunist.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Sorry dude, he had a sense of entitlement. I think the relatively low cost of the item is muddying the issue to make people think otherwise.

If I started a thread titled "Can Porsche afford it?" and then stated I asked Porsche to send me a new 911 as a free sample, then the same principle would apply and it would be obvious I had had sense of entitlement to a free 911 even though both Porsche and Royal Purple could afford the cost of sending a sample.

Whether begging for a penny or a hundred dollars, it is still begging. The whole side story of marketing economics concerning free samples is just that, a side story and gets away from someone asking for something for free and premising it with the supposition that they can afford it.

And if Porsche sent you a keychain, is that worht it? He did not ask for the WHOLE product? No. He asked for a sample. A SAMPLE. That is the point of a sample. I can walk in to a Porsche dealer and walk out with a brochure and will probably get a test-drive. I just have to toss my title out there. That is Dr. Dude to you sir.
wink.gif
And yes, I could likely afford some type of Porsche product. Yes, Porsche CAN afford to give me a sample. Asking for a sample for a sub $10 product of very little volume (2oz) is a no-brainer.

It is not begging. Samples are so you can test the product. If I am in the market for some craft brew from the tap, you BET I am going to ask for a sample before I buy a pint. I am not going to waste money on an unknown.

Entitlement? Ha! You think a company should have to work to earn your business. Why would you buy strictly on over-hyped advertising?

Father worked for corporate McD's at about the time. Yeah, they coffee was too hot...(and anyone with any sense and the facts of the case should know this. Only the uninformed would think this was a frivolous case) The coffee was hot enough to seriously burn. 190 degrees and the burns were serious (2nd and 3rd degree I think). There were hundreds of previous cases/reports that the coffee was causing serious burns. She was not taking any unreasonable measures handling the coffee. She was parked (actually a passenger) and trying to remove the lid to add cream/sugar). She was in her 70s. Not only that, but initially she just wanted McD to cover medical expenses. Only a few grand but McD refused. Actually, McD just refused to do anything really. Corporate structure at the time just go hard-headed. Initially, the burn victim was not seeking "millions", just medical costs but the courts added a punitive sum to the case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
So that is why now they ask how many sugars and creams you want and mix it for you.

That's because they're being tight and cheap. One of the Mickey D's here charges you for every packet of ketchup,creamer,sugar,etc they give you.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Father worked for corporate McD's at about the time. Yeah, they coffee was too hot...(and anyone with any sense and the facts of the case should know this. Only the uninformed would think this was a frivolous case) The coffee was hot enough to seriously burn. 190 degrees and the burns were serious (2nd and 3rd degree I think). There were hundreds of previous cases/reports that the coffee was causing serious burns. She was not taking any unreasonable measures handling the coffee. She was parked (actually a passenger) and trying to remove the lid to add cream/sugar). She was in her 70s. Not only that, but initially she just wanted McD to cover medical expenses. Only a few grand but McD refused. Actually, McD just refused to do anything really. Corporate structure at the time just go hard-headed. Initially, the burn victim was not seeking "millions", just medical costs but the courts added a punitive sum to the case.

Anyone with common sense as you put it knows hot coffee is just that = HOT! It will burn you if you spill it on yourself. The lady spilled hot coffee on herself. No MCD employee did it and it wasn't a faulty/leaking cup or lid. She did it to herself. It is a classic definition of a frivolous law suit. The fact she actually won it is more ludicrous than the case being allowed to proceed.

It would be like saying a knife mfg is at fault when someone cuts themselves because the knife was too sharp. People know knives are sharp and can cut you so you need to be careful. If you are careless, slip, etc... and cut yourself can you then sue the knife mfg because the knife was too sharp? NO. How is the coffee thing different? Everyone knows hot coffee is hot and will burn you if it is spilled on you. Be careful with it. If YOU spill it on YOURSELF then YOU are to blame not the place who made the coffee.

If you truly feel MCD is at fault then I want to come to your house or office for a cup of coffee some morning. Have your checkbook ready because I see a million dollar spill in the future.
12.gif

Entitlement? Ha! You think a company should have to work to earn your business. Why would you buy strictly on over-hyped advertising?

One company (RP) is smart enough to not involve itself with a stupid internet game set up on BITOG by a poster named Merk, who by his own admission works in "industrial sales".

This is another exercise of setting up RP for eternal bashing on BITOG.

BTW Merk, you have apparently disappeared from this thread but I am STILL waiting on you to man up and send a sample. What company do you do "industrial sales" for?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Anyone with common sense as you put it knows hot coffee is just that = HOT! It will burn you if you spill it on yourself. The lady spilled hot coffee on herself. No MCD employee did it and it wasn't a faulty/leaking cup or lid. She did it to herself. It is a classic definition of a frivolous law suit. The fact she actually won it is more ludicrous than the case being allowed to proceed.

It would be like saying a knife mfg is at fault when someone cuts themselves because the knife was too sharp. People know knives are sharp and can cut you so you need to be careful. If you are careless, slip, etc... and cut yourself can you then sue the knife mfg because the knife was too sharp? NO. How is the coffee thing different? Everyone knows hot coffee is hot and will burn you if it is spilled on you. Be careful with it. If YOU spill it on YOURSELF then YOU are to blame not the place who made the coffee.

If you truly feel MCD is at fault then I want to come to your house or office for a cup of coffee some morning. Have your checkbook ready because I see a million dollar spill in the future.
12.gif

See this is the problem.

McD's coffee was served hotter than the rest of the industry (and knew from hundreds of complaints that the coffee was causing injury). The person (a 70 year old woman) was attempting to remove the lid while sitting down. Serving coffee at a higher than industry standard temperature where you have to remove the lid to add cream/sugar. Spill coffee, while might cause minor burns is expected. But, in this case, we are talking MAJOR burns from a known "issue" (overly hot serving temp). The person was not making unreasonable actions (like driving with the coffee between her legs). Parked, stationary, passenger trying to add cream/sugar... but gets a medical bill and skin graphs.

This would be you knife example: Manufacturer knows their handle design is slippery... much more so than the industry standard. Knows about the hundreds of complaints. Your hand slips but "you should have known better" because it is a knife. McD knew their coffee was being served at a higher temp and causing injury and then denied responsibility. If the coffee was served in the normal coffee temp range, it would be tossed out. Because McD refused to pay the medical (no additional "pain and suffering" damage) they sued and the courts awarded the "punitive" cost... not the plaintiff.

In my previous life I managed the sales department for a large synthetic lubricants manufacturer and I had a $50,000 annual sample budget. Of course I could afford to send samples, but I did not fulfill every request. Samples are for customers or potential customers who are conducting bona fide testing or research with the potential to purchase meaningful quantities if successful. Samples were not sent to consumers for personal use. It's a matter of principle, not cost.

Tom NJ

I actually like my coffee piping hot!! Back before I had a coffee maker (and a microwave) and was drinking instant coffee,I'd boil the water on the stove (a full boil) and pour it into my cup. Lukewarm coffee,yuck!! Nothing I hate more than getting served lukewarm coffee,when I do,I always immediately nuke it to bring it to a full rolling boil. Maybe it's just me,I don't know,but I like my coffee too hot to drink,where I have to sip on it. I prefer my foods to be piping hot too.

Since Mobil's profit margin is heads and shoulders more/above that of Royal Purple I just emailed them to see if they will send me a sample of their synthetic grease. Will update with their reply!

And, if they can afford to sponsor McLaren for many, many, many millions of dollars, then I should get free oil for life from them, and free gas from Shell thanks to what they can afford for sponsorship, too.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Since Mobil's profit margin is heads and shoulders more/above that of Royal Purple I just emailed them to see if they will send me a sample of their synthetic grease. Will update with their reply!

And, if they can afford to sponsor McLaren for many, many, many millions of dollars, then I should get free oil for life from them, and free gas from Shell thanks to what they can afford for sponsorship, too.
wink.gif

Heck in this case the whole BITOG bunch should get it for free.
wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

All 52,427 of us? Lol

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

wink.gif

wink.gif

All 52,427 of us? Lol

Yup. That wouldn't even put a dent in their billion dollar business yearly.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

wink.gif

All 52,427 of us? Lol

Yup. That wouldn't even put a dent in their billion dollar business yearly.

52,427 x 2 jugs x $20 a jug (Mobil's cost) = $2,097,080 a year

This $2 mils is less than their error in rounding of more than $200,000,000,000 yearly revenue.

12.gif

See this is the problem.

McD's coffee was served hotter than the rest of the industry (and knew from hundreds of complaints that the coffee was causing injury). The person (a 70 year old woman) was attempting to remove the lid while sitting down. Serving coffee at a higher than industry standard temperature where you have to remove the lid to add cream/sugar. Spill coffee, while might cause minor burns is expected. But, in this case, we are talking MAJOR burns from a known "issue" (overly hot serving temp). The person was not making unreasonable actions (like driving with the coffee between her legs). Parked, stationary, passenger trying to add cream/sugar... but gets a medical bill and skin graphs.

This would be you knife example: Manufacturer knows their handle design is slippery... much more so than the industry standard. Knows about the hundreds of complaints. Your hand slips but "you should have known better" because it is a knife. McD knew their coffee was being served at a higher temp and causing injury and then denied responsibility. If the coffee was served in the normal coffee temp range, it would be tossed out. Because McD refused to pay the medical (no additional "pain and suffering" damage) they sued and the courts awarded the "punitive" cost... not the plaintiff.

Complete poppycock and exactly why people hate lawyers. You can try and justify this with industry standards and any other double talk you wish but it is just bull. Total bull.

Hot coffee is supposed to be hot period. People WANT it hot which is why they order it that way. HOT = BURN if you spill on yourself. A restaurant shouldn't have to take the temp before serving. Patrons need to be careful. If they spill it themselves then it is on them for whatever happens.

By your own words of the incident the lady was sitting down and spilled the coffee when she was taking the lid off( you make my point of view better than your own ). SHE did this to herself. It was not MCD's fault. Had an employee spilled it on her or had the cup or cap been faulty and leaked that is different. That is not the case here. Good lord does anyone in this country take responsibility for their own actions anymore? Totally on her 100%!

Also, if it was so hot as to cause such serious "MAJOR" burns( you said 2nd and 3rd degree earlier I believe )where are all the people who actually drank it that hot and had all the skin in their mouth and throat melted away? I mean if this poor woman was the victim of such a heinous act of too hot coffee burning her then all the other patrons who bought it and actually drank it should be as well. How does only this one person get such serious injuries by a spill and those who put it in their mouth were ok?

Just ridiculous. I could care less if people were reporting it was too hot prior. Different people like their beverage temps different. I am sure for many the temp was just right even though it was above your so called industry standard. My Father and Brother for instance won't order coffee out because it is usually too cold for them. They like it really, REALLY, hot. Industry standard temp. Give me a break. What an asinine thing to have. Law suits like this are why though.

Knife handle too slippery huh. Wow. MCD did the right thing refusing to pay a dime to the woman. I certainly feel bad she was hurt but it was her fault not theirs. Shame on the court/jury for awarding this woman a single cent.

Nothing else to be said on this as it is way off topic. I am done.

Last edited:
Hot coffee is supposed to be hot period. People WANT it hot which is why they order it that way. HOT = BURN if you spill on yourself. A restaurant shouldn't have to take the temp before serving. Patrons need to be careful. If they spill it themselves then it is on them for whatever happens.

As you say, it's OT, but I would agree. Some state that percolated coffee is the only "real" coffee. Last time I checked, that wasn't lukewarm. People who do not have the dexterity to handle a hot cup of coffee perhaps should get an ice cold Coke. If they dump that in their laps, it might wake them up a little.

Over 24 hours and still no response from them. Great customer service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back