US Gov't Fines Honda $70m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai fined $300 million for misstating fuel economy figures but Honda only fined $70 million for covering up deaths?

John

35.gif

I just stopped by to see who is going to blame GM for this.

Originally Posted By: John_K
Hyundai fined $300 million for misstating fuel economy figures but Honda only fined $70 million for covering up deaths?

John

Different agencies, different fines.

NHTSA penalties are capped at $35m. Honda got dinged by NHTSA for two different failures-to-report in this, thus the $70m figure.

The Hyundai/Kia penalty was from the EPA. They were fined $100m and forced to forfeit $200m in greenhouse gas credits amassed over the model years they misstated fuel economy figures.

I'm sure NHTSA would love to fine automakers more for safety issues, but they just can't.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

John

Different agencies, different fines.

NHTSA penalties are capped at $35m. Honda got dinged by NHTSA for two different failures-to-report in this, thus the $70m figure.

The Hyundai/Kia penalty was from the EPA. They were fined $100m and forced to forfeit $200m in greenhouse gas credits amassed over the model years they misstated fuel economy figures.

I'm sure NHTSA would love to fine automakers more for safety issues, but they just can't.
And those fines are just passed right through to those of us who need a new car.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
35.gif

Sorry, it was my turn today, i was busy texting-and-driving because of the snowstorm outside.
so there we go:
my POS '97 Chrysler Concorde with 141k miles, my POS '95 Mercury Mystique with 110kmiles leaking oil trough the oil tube and my POS '95 Hyundai Accent with 120k miles all rusted out are GM's fault.
what this got to do with Honda? I spray painted a curbe-hoped wheel on my SIL '13 Honda Civic AT. if she got to the dealer 45 minutes earlier would have been a manual/stickshift...
(so what did i do/manage on the cuckoo scale 1-10?)

Originally Posted By: Miller88
This is for airbags that stop working after 10+ years right?

No not just that. Did you read the article? Half the fine was for under reporting warranty claims. Some of it was for other defects not related to airbags that went unreported and caused injury or death.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
35.gif

Or Toyota.

Ok, I'll start...

lets see... GM and Toyota felt threatened by Honda and did to Honda the same thing that they did to Hyundai in hopes it would cause mass panic and reduced sales of "H-Model cars" to keep 'Mericans out of them.

There.

Eh, it is a start. I was waiting for the folks who were so upset with GM over the ignition switch, that thread was HUGE.

Honda lied, people died. Awful quiet at BITOG. Just saying.
smile.gif

I fully expect Antigueshell to blame GM. being owned by the government, this will be some unfair way to hold back the other companies and help GM's sales.

John

Don't mess with the EPA, John K!

OK, let me try. I used to be really good with the lolz. Sooo..

GM put together a False Flag operation that put falsified files in Honda and they are responsible.
smile.gif

Do I win a prize?

A cynic could suspect that they were trying to keep this stuff swept under the rug and quiet long enough for the statute of limitations to run on the lawsuits that might be filed over the problem cars.

If that is so, and it works, $70M might have been a cheap out. Time will tell.

There may also be criminal charges in some people's future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back