Ethanol in Gasoline enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read and seen pics of tore down engines in testing showing Very clean Valves and The tops of pistons being very clean while running Ethanol Fuel--E10 or whatever is at the pumps...

Is this maybe the only benefit to Ethanol fuels?

Though I have read where Ethanol fuels will not really clean carbon it will keep a new motor clear of carbon build up...

What are your thoughts... Within my new Ram I have only seen so far a MPG change from filling up with E10 or whatever is actually in their tanks... 100%Gas=22.1 mpg highway with E10=17.8 mpg highway...

If the Ethanol will keep the Valves and Pistons clean I see no use for fuel system cleaner... If It is keeping these clean I assume it is doing the same with the injectors.

I do add 1oz per 5gal of TC-W3 every fill up as well...

Are you a Costco member? I've been buying Kirkland gasoline for the better part of a year and I've noticed a much improved idle quality. It has 5 times the detergent level of your typical convenient store gasoline. No need for fuel additives with that fuel.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
I have read and seen pics of tore down engines in testing showing Very clean Valves and The tops of pistons being very clean while running Ethanol Fuel--E10 or whatever is at the pumps...

Though I have read where Ethanol fuels will not really clean carbon it will keep a new motor clear of carbon build up...

What are your thoughts... Within my new Ram I have only seen so far a MPG change from filling up with E10 or whatever is actually in their tanks... 100%Gas=22.1 mpg highway with E10=17.8 mpg highway...

If the Ethanol will keep the Valves and Pistons clean I see no use for fuel system cleaner... If It is keeping these clean I assume it is doing the same with the injectors.

I would not add 2-cycle oil to gas (diesel yes). Add Techron as per the directions.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I would not add 2-cycle oil to gas (diesel yes). Add Techron as per the directions.

I can understand your hesitation, but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence of that ratio ( 1oz tcw-3 to 5gal gasoline) smoothing out engines( my neon did seem smoother, but likely placebo effect), and quieting noisy fuel pumps(from the increased lubrosity),

and really, at that much of a dilution (640:1), its not gonna do much harm either.....

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Costco is a Top Tier gas. All Top Tier gases have 5 times the required detergents. These are recommended for DI engines, but all engines will benefit.

Go to
http://www.toptiergas.com

NO!!! That is completely wrong. Top Tier only requires about 2-2.5 the minimum EPA standards. Costco goes above and beyond TT requirements.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: Donald

I can understand your hesitation, but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence of that ratio ( 1oz tcw-3 to 5gal gasoline) smoothing out engines( my neon did seem smoother, but likely placebo effect), and quieting noisy fuel pumps(from the increased lubrosity),

and really, at that much of a dilution (640:1), its not gonna do much harm either.....

There is the potential to damage sensors and cat.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Merkava 4 has it right.....It isn't the ethanol, it is the additives/detergents in the gasoline. The better brands, anyway.
+ 1

In the case of the Toyota Flex-Fuel (up to E85) 5.7L 3UR-FBE engines, instead of the 10,000 mile OCI recommended for the E10 version of the engine a 5,000 mile OCI is recommended.

Further, if E85 is used (higher Ethanol content) the OCI becomes only 2,500 miles.

This indicates to me that at least Toyota thinks the higher Ethanol blends make engine oil dirtier.

To wit:

*The 2TR-FE (4Runner / Tacoma) and the 3UR-FBE (Flex Fuel Tundra / Sequoia) are the exceptions to this new change interval program; these engines have not been approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time. A 5,000-mile/6-month oil change interval is still required for these vehicles. Also, the Flex Fuel 3UR-FBE requires a 2,500 mile interval when operated on E85.

See source material here: Toyota OCI FAQ

HTH

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Costco is a Top Tier gas. All Top Tier gases have 5 times the required detergents. These are recommended for DI engines, but all engines will benefit.

Go to

NO!!! That is completely wrong. Top Tier only requires about 2-2.5 the minimum EPA standards. Costco goes above and beyond TT requirements.

I would love to be at the fuel terminal when the tanker fills up to confirm that contention. i have yet to bump into a tank operator that confirms that Costco, or any other outlet, is going above and beyond the TT standards. What is posted on a sign is one thing, what is actually happening is another.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

In the case of the Toyota Flex-Fuel (up to E85) 5.7L 3UR-FBE engines, instead of the 10,000 mile OCI recommended for the E10 version of the engine a 5,000 mile OCI is recommended.

Further, if E85 is used (higher Ethanol content) the OCI becomes only 2,500 miles.

This indicates to me that at least Toyota thinks the higher Ethanol blends make engine oil dirtier.

To wit:

*The 2TR-FE (4Runner / Tacoma) and the 3UR-FBE (Flex Fuel Tundra / Sequoia) are the exceptions to this new change interval program; these engines have not been approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time. A 5,000-mile/6-month oil change interval is still required for these vehicles. Also, the Flex Fuel 3UR-FBE requires a 2,500 mile interval when operated on E85.

See source material here: Toyota OCI FAQ

HTH

I am not sure they think it makes engine oils "dirtier" as much as they are concerned about increased water contamination in the oil. There is enough evidence to suggest that water contamination is an issue in the engine oil with higher levels of ethanol use. This is one of the issues that the oil brand I chose actually makes it a point to formulate for higher ethanol use in engines, to address those potential problems. Since I generally use blend of between E15 and E85, I specifically wanted an oil in the engine that made it a point to at least claim that one of it's major benefits was to address issues with higher ethanol blends. As much as the dexos1 thing seems to be gospel to some folks, it is rather a weak standard in dealing with higher levels of ethanol usage, which seems bizarre given that GM is so pushing the flex fuel thing.

Regarding the OCI of an engine using higher blends of ethanol. I see no major interval change on the OLM of my 2013 Silverado whether it is using E10 or E85. And it sure can tell the difference in the calculation of that. Toyota may have its own reasoning. For many folks ti doesn't matter, as they usually change the oil by 5000 miles anyway. Most consumers are not members of forums such as this one.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Go to

I would love to be at the fuel terminal when the tanker fills up to confirm that contention. i have yet to bump into a tank operator that confirms that Costco, or any other outlet, is going above and beyond the TT standards. What is posted on a sign is one thing, what is actually happening is another.

Costco adds their additives on their own. They buy detergent free gasoline in bulk and mix it themselves on site.

also, there have been tests run on BP and shell showing they are well above, just like they advertise. guys driving trucks aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer and know nothing about what they haul other than volume and weight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back