HONDA CRV vibrate at idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vibrate how? You can feel the 4-cylinder engine at idle on ours. I personally think this is due to the idle speed and/or idle fuel mixture. If I crowd the gas pedal, even just slightly, the engine "buzz" completely disappears.

Once you get the piston tops and valve bowl carboned up (along with sticky rings) from "conservative" driving the idle quality can become poor. Does this engine have a CR balance shaft?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Possibly mounts

No, unless they are defective from the factory. Several people mentioned the vibration for a review of 2015 CRVs. So it cannot be something worn out or defective. Poor design maybe.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Does this engine have a CR balance shaft?

Yes. Two of them, actually.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I've noticed with a number of 4 bangers that 50-100 more rpm would smooth them out.

As is the case with this vehicle as well. Methinks it's simply from the idle speed or mixture (or combination of both) for emissions compliance. It can feel like an ignition miss under certain circumstances. I find it less intrusive in the summer when the A/C is on...it seems that the idle is kicked just slightly higher and more fuel is being used...so the idle isn't quite as choppy.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Does this engine have a CR balance shaft?

Yes. Two of them, actually.

I've noticed with a number of 4 bangers that 50-100 more rpm would smooth them out.

As is the case with this vehicle as well. Methinks it's simply from the idle speed or mixture (or combination of both) for emissions compliance. It can feel like an ignition miss under certain circumstances. I find it less intrusive in the summer when the A/C is on...it seems that the idle is kicked just slightly higher and more fuel is being used...so the idle isn't quite as choppy.

Is the idle programmed into the ECM or can it be tweaked?

I've been driving a 2014 CRV quite a bit on recent trips in Colorado. Yes, the 4 cylinder is a little buzzy at idle. I just chalked it up to being a 4 cylinder (all I currently own are 8 cylinders). It wasn't enough to be annoying or seem out of line. But enough to be noticeable.

Engine mounts can get hard in cold weather. I'm sure a luxowagon may use a more expensive mount. I also have found 4 bangers smooth out with a richer mixture. If your plugs are worn or there is air leaking around the airflow meter the ECU may not be able to compensate. Sometimes a failing precat O2 sensor will cause a lean out even though the check engine lite stays off.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Is the idle programmed into the ECM or can it be tweaked?

Probably both. It's probably programmed into the engine control software, and it probably can be tweaked with an aftermarket tuning tool. The idle in our '08 model isn't near intrusive enough for me to want to pay for a tuning tool to change it, so I haven't looked into it.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Engine mounts can get hard in cold weather.

This is another good point. There's a noticeable difference in general engine NVH in our CR-V between cold and warm weather. The difference is there in our MDX, too, but it's not as dramatic. Probably because it uses more expensive mounting materials (vacuum-controlled liquid front mount, for example).

With the AC on, and even during the winter if you have the defroster on the AC will still be on, you can notice it a little bit. It's not as pronounced as my first CRV, but my 2014 CRV, it's a lot better. Especially in gear, at a stop light, with the AC on. Other than that, the newer CRV is quite quiet. LOTS more power than my older CRV.

Finally, someone mentions the obvious. Please forward to:

[email protected]

PS---I own a 2005 CR-V. It does the same thing.

Last edited:
My gf just bought a 2015 Honda Accord V6 and the first thing she mentioned was how the car was not smooth for a "new" car. I recently sat in it and the idle engine vibration was very noticeable. I'm going to change the oil out to red line 5w20 and see if it helps.

I would find a flat surface on the engine to stand a nickel up on its edge. If the nickel falls over while the engine is idling, I'd take the car back to the dealer and tell them to keep it. Seriously, there's no reason why a 2015 Honda Accord should idle poorly. Heck, that's 99% of the reason to buy a new car--so that you can have an imperceptible idle!

A dealer told me if the ECON switch (extra gas efficiency) is pressed, that could cause it. (Honda CR-V).

I am just looking. But not wanting to buy a new car that vibrates at every stoplight.

In doing some additional reading, I see that the thinking is that the vibration problem is from the CVT transmission. Did they switch to the CVT in 2015?

Oddly Consumer Reports said the CVT transmission in the CR-V was one of the first CVTs they tried that did not feel like a CVT and felt more like a normal AT.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I would find a flat surface on the engine to stand a nickel up on its edge. If the nickel falls over while the engine is idling, I'd take the car back to the dealer and tell them to keep it. Seriously, there's no reason why a 2015 Honda Accord should idle poorly. Heck, that's 99% of the reason to buy a new car--so that you can have an imperceptible idle!

She had to take the car in to buff out some fine scratches(black car) and mentioned the rough idle but as usual with these dealerships they told her it was normal....lol. She lives in CT and me in MA/RI so its hard to help her out myself.

Originally Posted By: Donald
A dealer told me if the ECON switch (extra gas efficiency) is pressed, that could cause it. (Honda CR-V).

I am just looking. But not wanting to buy a new car that vibrates at every stoplight.

Thats an interesting twist, one which I dont fully understand. My gf's Accord does have the ECON switch but not sure she uses it. I'll ask her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back