2010 Accord Start Up Rattle/Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
definately a grinding noise---and this is no ticking or piston slapping. I think the OP's diagnosis with the pin trying to engage a spiining is the exact cause of the sound

My Honda dealer called me this morning and he is ordering parts and going to address the problem according to the updated TSB regarding the VTC actuator.

I'm happy. Now I'm curious what they are replacing and if that pin is going to be replaced since it has to have experienced some wear.

I spoke with the service department through email and he said that the "pin" is part of the VTC actuator assembly. So yeah, it will be replaced as well.

Question, on the TSB, Honda lists a Part Number (P/N) and then an H/C number for all the parts involved. What is the H/C number?

I know it's been almost a year when I reported the cold start grinding that I hear on my Accord.

I heard it again recently (despite having the VCT solenoid/actuator replaced) last winter by Honda. It sounded just like it did last year, and just like in my video on the first page of this thread.

So, I searched the interweb again for any better answers and solutions and found this:
you need to cycle your key onto the ON position for several seconds, and turn it back off. Then bump-start the car, but don't let it start. Just get it turn over for a half second or so. Then go ahead and start it.

I've done this so far for a week and my Honda has started without any disgusting noise since. So, it obviously works.

The reasoning behind this is: The VCT solenoid is not the correct position after it bleeds down. Cycling your ignition and bump starting it, allows the position of the VCT solenoid/valve to change in such a manner that it allows proper oil pressure to reach the VCT actuator on the camshaft and hence, no noise.

Just wanted to close the loop on this, in case anyone else needs this info.

So far, Honda hasn't figured out anyway to prevent the VCT solenoid from bleeding down or a way to get the solenoid back into the correct position before start up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back