Licensed alternatives for Mercon LV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed out the Mercon LV ATF in my 2012 Ford Fusion SEL V6 a few days ago. Originally, I planned to get Mercon LV from Advance Auto parts, but they did not have any in stock, so I got Peak Full Synthetic Multi-vehicle (ATF) Automatic Transmission Fluid recommemded by them. It's said on the bottle that it is certified by Ford for Mercon LV applications. Later, I did some research and found two other certified products: Castrol/Transmax ATF full synthetic multi-vehicle transmission fluid available from Autozone and Silver State Dex VI / Mercon LV ATF.

I would have gone with Castrol if I had found that before making the purchase although the price is higher. I wonder if someone knows better licensed aftermarket alternatives.

I used a fluid extractor. About 4 to 5 quarts can be sucked out each time, as much as by removing the drain plug. I used 12 quarts of the Peak ATF following the instructions posted by drolds1 here.

About 10 to 20 percent of the original oil is still left using this method. The color changed from dark brown to pink, but I am not sure if the shift quality is better. There are still unsmooth shifts though. I have used Dr. Tranny instant shudder fixx but I have not seen any improvement yet. I plan to use Lubegard 63010 Platinum Universal ATF Protectant.

I am not sure if using Steeda CAI and tune exacerbated the transmission shudder. I wonder when I can request transmission rebuild since it's still under factory warranty.

Welcome to the Forum!

As an alternative, Walmart sells a gallon of Valvoline Maxlife Mercon LV for only $16.97

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Welcome to the Forum!

As an alternative, Walmart sells a gallon of Valvoline Maxlife Mercon LV for only $16.97

Not licensed. "Suitable for"

how many miles on the vehicle, and why not use motorcraft from the dealer? Check around some dealers are cheaper than others.

Drain and fill 3x with a licensed Mercon LV ONLY

See where that gets you

If nowhere, you may have to have the tune undone, and book it into Ford. There is a PCM update to help with flare.

Yours is a SEL 3.0 V6 with the 6F35? Not a Sport with the Aisin box, right?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
how many miles on the vehicle, and why not use motorcraft from the dealer? Check around some dealers are cheaper than others.

About 40k miles now. I planned to use motorcraft, but local AAP did not have any stock. They showed me the licensed Peak ATF, and I saw the online reviews for the brand is not bad, so I just bought a case.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Drain and fill 3x with a licensed Mercon LV ONLY

See where that gets you

If nowhere, you may have to have the tune undone, and book it into Ford. There is a PCM update to help with flare.

Yours is a SEL 3.0 V6 with the 6F35? Not a Sport with the Aisin box, right?

Yes. Mine is SEL 3.0 V6 FWD with the 6F35. The dealer updated the electronic throttle body control in July. Not sure if it's the one you mentioned. The improvement after fluid change is marginal at most if there is at all. Shudder fixx seems to make things worse, but Lubegard platinum made some improvement.

I read on a forum that using higher octane gas can improve shift quality in V6 3.0 Fusions, so I requested a 91oct tune from Steeda. Do you mean I should return the car to stock tune and air intake? I spent more than $600 on them, and I don't think it's easy to sell them at a good price as used ones. I know the CAI w/ insert can be used with stock tune. Should I try that first? I am not familiar with the differences of transmission slipping, flare, hard shift, shudder. Are they completely different problem, or is it just different severity?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
You should consider Mag 1 Low-Vis ATF

It's available on Amazon at a great price.

It's not licensed by Ford, right? I just do not want to void warranty. Otherwise, Redline D6 is my first choice.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Sam, you did use MerconLV. The Peak data sheets shows that it is indeed a Ford licensed MerconLV ATF. If you still have a problem, it isn't the fluid.
http://images.peakauto.com/PEAK_syn_multi_ATF_MERC_LV_spec_sheet.pdf

The shift quality is still not good. The BlackStone report for the old fluid shows excess aluminum, iron and insolubles. I wonder if a transmission rebuild is in the near future.

Originally Posted By: sam369
The BlackStone report for the old fluid shows excess aluminum, iron and insolubles. I wonder if a transmission rebuild is in the near future.
I wouldn't be surprised. The Ford version of that transaxle has been problematic, although the GM version has been OK.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
motorcraft at a ford dealer is not priced too bad some are very reasonable check around at different dealers.

I have changed the fluid with Ford approved PEAK ATF. Do you think Motorcraft Mercon LV is much better than approved Castrol, Peak and Kendall ATF?

tommygunn said:
It's not licensed by Ford, right? I just do not want to void warranty. Otherwise, Redline D6 is my first choice.

Yes, it is licensed by Ford.

spec sheet

20140210175314_MAG1_MV_LV_ATF.jpg

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
tommygunn said:

Yes, it is licensed by Ford.

spec sheet

20140210175314_MAG1_MV_LV_ATF.jpg

It may not be approved long ago. The ones amazon sells are still only approved for Dexron VI. Now I know five approved ones. This seems to be the cheapest, but not sure about which one is best for performance.

Pretty bottle but when it comes to atf you either put in what it calls for or in a lot of cases spend a couple of thousand on a rebuilt trans.

I have been In the auto repair business all my life and some things don't change. "If it calls for this don't use that" and don't add anything else to your atf if your trans is working well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back