does it bug anyone else that 50/50 close to pure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
that pure antifreeze is around $14 gal and the same manuf offering a 50/50 mix of the same stuff charges approx. $12 gal.

Do they think we are lemmings?

Last edited by a moderator:
You're paying for convenience. With 50/50, you don't have to go out and buy distilled water and then have to mix it in the right proportions.

Yes that is exactly what they think and what marketing campaigns are counting on - a naive gullible consumer...sad to say most of the time they are correct about their expectations.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
that pure antifreeze is around $14 gal and the same manuf offering a 50/50 mix of the same stuff charges approx. $12 gal.

Do they think we are lemmings?

Yes that is exactly what they think and what marketing campaigns are counting on - a naive gullible consumer...sad to say most of the time they are correct about their expectations.

Ethylene glycol is obviously more expensive than distilled water, but unfortunately the shipping cost is pretty much the same.

And lemmings? Well, I just buy what I need. Honda only sells Type 2 pre-mix so that's what I buy. Toyota sells red concentrate, and BMW the blue concentrate so that's what I get. But none of those are $14 a gallon....

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Ethylene glycol is obviously more expensive than distilled water, but

Are you sure they even use distilled water? I doubt it.

deionized.

You're right, it could be DI water.

You must be looking at auto parts stores prices. I bought a few gallons of Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 at Menards for around $6 when it went on sale.

Well, it doesn't really matter either way, but distillation is generally the cheapest way to remove minerals. And my point was about shipping so that's the same no matter whether it is distilled, RO, resin bed deionized or Perrier.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

You're right, it could be DI water.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
You must be looking at auto parts stores prices. I bought a few gallons of Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 at Menards for around $6 when it went on sale.

I like the full strength coolants too(w/gal of DI) but, I also buy 50/50 for about $6 at Big Lot's. It's new stuff too, not old coolant. The last PEAK 50/50 I bought had the Duck Dynasty Logo on the label. Now, the label has changed again!

I buy straight anti freeze and mix my own at 50/50. When I do a flush, the last flush is with distilled water. I then drain that. Add a gallon of 100% then top off with 50/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back