Tell me about the 2.0L High-Output EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to buy a new car soon. On the top of my list are Mazda 6 and CX 5. After more research, the Ford Focus ST is also on my list. I know nothing about Ford, never having owned one, so I'll gladly consider any info I can glean. I am especially interested in info about the 2.0 liter EcoBoost engine and its reliability and longterm durability. Any suggestions regarding Honda and Toyota will summarily be ignored with extreme prejudice.

hotwheels

Ford's, except for the early to mid nineties are pretty reliable. We have a '99 E-150 that has never gone in for huge repairs. At 103k miles and 16 years old, its still hanging on. So I would say Ford is a good decision to include in on several different auto-manufacturers when looking to buy. With that said, I have read more negative things about ecoboosts than good things, from mpg's being way low to excessive wear from UOA's. I would opt for a none-ecoboost engine.

But if you plan on trading in a vehicle every 3-5 years, then Japanese and foreign cars TEND to carry the highest resale value. FYI

Should be a fun to drive engine, if not particularly efficient when having fun. Like any turbo engine, running it hard will cause it to drink fuel like a much larger engine. The Focus ST will have a dedicated enthusiast community to troubleshoot if/when things go wrong.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
But if you plan on trading in a vehicle every 3-5 years, then Japanese and foreign cars TEND to carry the highest resale value. FYI

I keep my cars for a long time.That's why choosing wisely is paramount.

hotwheels

My wife has the 2.0 in her Escape, just shy of 20,000 mi., we both love it. It delivers plenty of power and decent fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Ford Focus ST

AWESOME little cars!! A blast to drive too!!

If you want a safe choice, pick an engine with a substantial history behind it; This has too much technology and not enough time behind it for my tastes. JMO.

I'm told that car is crazy fun.

I've never heard that the turbo wasn't covered under warranty. Even if it was, turbo failures are so incredibly rare I'm not sure it would deter me.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I would certainly do your research on the vehicle and engine (not saying it is a bad choice)

I can do the research myself, but how much do you charge?

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
The Mazda Skyactiv engine would be at the top of my list.

It's definitely up there. I wouldn't mind a few horses and a bit more torque than the 2.5 liter Skyactiv offers, though. I also wish Mazda was able to finally get their diesel options certified for NA.

hotwheels

Ive owned both Fords and Mazdas, my 04' F-150 never had any problems. Bought it in 07' w/ 30k sold it Sept 14' with 82k. Dont know too much about the ecoboost but im pretty sure its been around a little longer than the skyactiv's.

Had a 2012 Mazda 3 2.0 w/ skyactiv and it wasn't all that fun to drive to be honest. I ended up selling it after a year when my wife got pregnant because it isn't even big enough for an infant car seat.

Rented a Fusion with the 2.0 Ecoboost and it was a blast to drive. I imagine it would be a terror in the much lighter Focus.

A Focus ST would be at best a lateral move for me- but I still think it's a fun car. Ford Racing has a Power Upgrade Kit that adds 90 lb-ft of torque at 2800 rpm- and retains the factory warranty if installed at a Ford dealer. Considering the rebates and incentives on the ST you could have a pretty hot car for not a lot of money. If my next sled had to be FWD(and I could live without a mechanical limited slip) the Focus ST would be one of my top choices.

I've got a 2013 Focus ST with 39k miles on it. It's a great car, but it hasn't been as reliable as I'd like. Over the Thanksgiving holiday, with 37k miles, it was in the shop to have the head gasket replaced. I baby this engine until it's warm, driving gingerly until the coolant is hot and staying out of boost until the engine oil is hot, so I was extremely disappointed to see engine problems.

The dealer said that neither the head nor the block were warped, but the notes on the paperwork they gave me said "Removed Cylinder head. 2 bolts at front of head took very little effort to remove. Center bolt on intake side was extremely tight." I take that to mean that the bolts were not torqued correctly at the factory, resulting in the gasket failure.

In all it's been back to the dealership several times, all under warranty:

-Rear motor mount replaced (A TSB was issued with a revised part)
-Radio antenna replaced (They told me that the antenna part was apparently bad AND it had not been correctly installed, resulting in horrible AM reception)
-Recall done to replace wiring loom
-Head gasket replaced

Long story short, I'm thinking about getting a WRX.
grin.gif

We also have one, a '14. A lot of the first year quirks seem to be taken care of with the 2014's after a cetain build date (ours was built in Jan 14).

Had it for 10 months or so with 12k on it. Reliability is fine for now, but it's a new car. When the 3yr 36k ends, I will probably look into an extended warranty through Ford.

The 2.0 is a blast. When you arent pushing it it's a very easy driving daily driver. The thing certainly wakes up whenever you want it too. The clutch and shifter is really great too.

The ride is very firm, too firm for some riders. I love the ride, but people who have driven with me have complaned "This car rides rough!". The hard suspension will also make the interior cabin not exactly the most quiet thing out there. The interior is very solid and materials are overall above average, but certain plastics will creak a bit over rough bumps and bad roads.

Steering is incredibly tight and a little on the heavy side. It's very good, but you have to keep your eyes on the road. The tires really hunt for traction and I've caught myself drifting off more to one side than expected just when changing a radio station.

MPG around town averages at around 23-24. This is a lot of city driving too. MY best hwy trip with the ST was an average of 34.5MPG on a 100 mile drive. I kept things slow and went for the best mileage possible. Once you creep to around 70MPH expect a return around of about 30MPG.

The 2015's have an updated facelift and a better interior. Not sure if you would want to wait for this model or scoop up any 14's while they are still available.

PM me if you have any questions, i'm sure I'm forgetting things.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Considering the rebates and incentives on the ST you could have a pretty hot car for not a lot of money. If my next sled had to be FWD(and I could live without a mechanical limited slip) the Focus ST would be one of my top choices.

I checked not too long ago and there were so local dealerships trying to dump 2014 Focus ST's for just under $20k, new. Granted, these didn't have the Recaros, but that's just an incredible deal for what you get.

If I absolutely had to get a new car in that moment, I'm pretty sure that's what I would have ended up with. Although, I still would have had a close look at the new GTI and Civic Si, because there is an actual possibility that I could find the Focus ST to be a touch more harsh than I'd prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back