2013 Forester UOA Bandito Blend 7,596 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for my Forester. I used a prepaid Wix analysis kit. Here is the last one.

Original fill:
4.0 quarts NAPA 0w-20
2.0 quarts Valvoline VR1 20w-50 syn

Added at ~5,000 miles into the OCI:
1.0 quart Valvoline VR1 20w-50 syn

I drive with frequent WOT. My commute is 23 miles of back country roads.

Html:

Oil NAPA 0w-20 & VR1 20w-50

Miles on Oil 7,596

Miles on Car 29,996

Filter Wix 57830

Sample Date 12/20/2014

Make Up Oil 1.0 Qt.

Aluminum 5

Chromium 0

Iron 12

Copper 5

Lead 0

Tin 0

Molybdenum 69

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 6

Boron 5

Silicon 8

Sodium 370

Calcium 2191

Magnesium 25

Phosphorus 960

Zinc 1118

Barium 0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 12.1

Water % 0

TBN 3.5

Yes, I know the viscosity and ZDDP levels are unnecessarily high. I have dollar quarts of VR1 to use up, so I'll continue to use the Bandito Blend until they're gone. I have receipts for plenty of NAPA 0w-20. No harm done.

Refilled with the same plus a can of MoS2 that I had sitting around.

Cheers.

Looks pretty good to me. zinc is pretty high. I'm not a big fan of oil additives and also not a fan of mixing oils but to each their own.

This is the FB? How the gas mileage my wife gets over 30mpg easily with a 6MT.

The new FB25 is 5qt cap where the "old" FB was 5L - I would never put more than 5 1/4 qts in the older sump - youll just churn and burn it. Always Better a tad under than over in a subie. I'd back off to no more than 1qt. of the Fitty and forget the MoS2 - though it seems to work OK with NAXx based oils like Valvoline the low end Xom.

Moly adds? Never more than a 1/3 can of MoS2 at a time in fresh oil (more doesn't help in a small displacement motor). LubriMoly is a solid, fine powder in a colloidal paraffinic suspension (think clay mud slurry) and it will form acids in the presence of moisture and heat. It can also agglomerate or BE agglomerated by the detergents and anti-soot agents in the fresh oil. Have fun though - I did like the old EJ253 better. More punch near redline with the VTEC and the big bore short stroke.

Last edited:
Great #'s IMO. It's a little thick, just let it warm up a minute when it gets cold before taking off. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
How did you get 6 quarts into this engine? Subaru says 4.4, many overfill with 5.0. 6 quarts seems like a serious overfill.

Subaru says 5.5.

6 takes it to the full line.

My 2011 took about 5.75-6qt to full line,

the 2015 is about 5.5 to the full line manual says 5.1 or 5.2 IIRC

and the 2011 was 5.5QT per the manual.

I'd love that 20w50 vr1 for my oil burner Deere 212

I'd probably only use 1qt in the car at a time. Also napa 0w20 is not very good.. Its a weak version of valvoline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Are you running the 20w-50 for oil consumption reasons or because you just want to use it up?

I was just using it up, but also curious about consumption. It made no difference.

The FB engine seems to use at least a quart.4000 miles on the average. It appears that the early FB engine oil consumption was addressed. I wouldn't add the 50 wt. No reason to.

The Subaru idemitsu 0W-20 oil seems to be pretty good. Just an opinion but the sodium AW is a sign of a cheap add pack (again, just an opinion). I would rather see boron in there.

Subaruforester.org is a very good web site for the Forester.

Thanks Bandito!! I just recently purchased three 5.1 quart jugs of VSP 0w20 at Autozone for $5 each. I was wanting to run it in my Honda or Subie...but I was thinking of thickening it up with VR1 20w50 as well. I see it worked great for you.

Now I have confidence. I like a 30 weight for the Honda. A 40 weight for our Subie.

Originally Posted By: Al
The FB engine seems to use at least a quart.4000 miles on the average. It appears that the early FB engine oil consumption was addressed. I wouldn't add the 50 wt. No reason to.

You're correct about the burning. I'm using the VR1 because it's in the garage and has the same sodium add pack that the NAPA does. I have several years worth of Red Line for the bike, so I'm going to put the VR1 in the Subie. No reason not to.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
How did you get 6 quarts into this engine? Subaru says 4.4, many overfill with 5.0. 6 quarts seems like a serious overfill.

Subaru says 5.5.

6 takes it to the full line.
I would never put in more than the refill capacity. And then, I would go at LEAST a cup under. Subies have decent windage management but in a boxer the pistons are RIGHT THERE not up there 8 inchers above the static sump level. Take a 0.5g corner and see where the oil goes
smile.gif

I don't think there's any reason to be concerned when it's within the dipstick range. It'll be lower as time goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back