I want to scream...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having the EXACT SAME ENGINE as the OP, here's how to get that blasted stripped drain plug out:

1. Remove undershield if it hasn't bee hacked to pieces.
2. Get a large set of Channellocks adjustable jaw pliers or giant vise-grips. The more teeth, the better.
3. Grip the round outer shoulders of the drain plug (there's a lot of metal at the base of the plug).
4. Give a good hard yank. It might need to be repeated several times.
channellock-B00004SBCU-440-profile-lg.jpg

This plug is DESIGNED to strip the 10mm bolt head precisely so it cannot be over-torqued!!! Thankfully it can be removed with a large set of Channellocks or similar pliers.

A Fumoto valve will not work since the bolt is located at the lowest point of the drain pan on a car with maybe 6" of ground clearance, and it's pointed straight down.

Best plan is to get out the old plug, get a new OEM one, and change own oil from now on!

For future reference, pretty much all modern cars, whether they are Ford/GM or Honda/toyota, pretty much all use Metric stuff on everything. I don't think there is a single SAE bolt or nut on my focus anywhere.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Having the EXACT SAME ENGINE as the OP, here's how to get that blasted stripped drain plug out:

1. Remove undershield if it hasn't bee hacked to pieces.
2. Get a large set of Channellocks adjustable jaw pliers or giant vise-grips. The more teeth, the better.
3. Grip the round outer shoulders of the drain plug (there's a lot of metal at the base of the plug).
4. Give a good hard yank. It might need to be repeated several times.
channellock-B00004SBCU-440-profile-lg.jpg

This plug is DESIGNED to strip the 10mm bolt head precisely so it cannot be over-torqued!!! Thankfully it can be removed with a large set of Channellocks or similar pliers.

A Fumoto valve will not work since the bolt is located at the lowest point of the drain pan on a car with maybe 6" of ground clearance, and it's pointed straight down.

Best plan is to get out the old plug, get a new OEM one, and change own oil from now on!

Almost forgot about this post....

THIS is exactly what I did as I was about to weld a nut to the remains of the drainplug.

Thanks all!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back