Stihl Saw Chain Oiling Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the thing...

Using a friend of mine's Stihl (believe it's an 019T, but can't remember off the top of my head...) today.

Started it up, and while it ran and cut good, I noticed no oil coming off of the chain (reservoir is full of bar and chain oil).

Popped the cover off, took the bar and chain off, and took a look. Oil "orifice" seems to be free of junk and is emitting oil.

So...put everything back together and there is still no oil.

I mean, I cut a good bit with it today, and everything seemed alright...but since this is a friends saw, I don't want to continually run it until I get this figured out.

My way of always checking oiling operation was to run the saw close to some white wood and observe the oil coming off the chain.

Well, this thing has NONE coming off the chain.

What's going on here??? What am I missing. "Orifice" is not clogged and all internals (inside of cover...around sprocket, etc..) are clean?

Why is this thing not putting any oil out?

[ June 14, 2004, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

There should be an adjustment for the flow? Maybe it is set too low.

You definately don't want to run the saw with no oil on the bar, it will burn up in no time.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
There should be an adjustment for the flow? Maybe it is set too low.

You definately don't want to run the saw with no oil on the bar, it will burn up in no time.

Oh, trust me. I fully understand that a chain will burn up pretty quick with no oil (trust me!).

The thing about this saw is that when you put the bar up to a light-colored surface, oil "fling-off" from the chain is minimal to none, which shows me that the chain isn't getting proper levels of lubrication.

It is using oil though...cut a little bit and you'll see a good decrease of oil level in the reservoir.

I just figured someone on here might know something or have some experience with a Stihl saw.

Anyone know of a another good forum (dealing with lawn care power equipment?) where I can post this question?

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Perhaps the oiling system just doesn't 'fling' oil like older ones? Maybe they've found a way to distribute it better on the bar?
dunno.gif
--- Bror Jace

Bror, you just hit it on the head!

Earlier today, I got in contact with Stihl customer service. Told the lady about my "problem" and then (CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS!?!) actually paged me over to a technician who could "better address my situation"!!!

I mean, that is just flat awesome that a customer service rep is willing to admit that he/she doesn't know something and is willing to go the extra step to help you out.

Can you imagine calling up an oil company and asking a technical question only to have the customer service rep say "well, I don't have an answer for that...would you like to speak with a lube engineer?"
grin.gif

Anyways, according to the "technician", the newer saws DO NOT put oil out like the old ones (according to him...because the EPA mandated it!) and have a groove designed into the bar to carry the oil and prevent excess usage and "splash-off".

I told him about putting the saw up to a light-colored surface to observe fling-off, and he again said that they just don't throw oil off like the old ones...a minimal amount at best.

Other than that, the saw is running fine. No indication that the bar or anything else is getting too hot. I guess that's what really threw me...that no oil was coming off the bar but I was observing no "lack of lubrication" issues.

Lastly, a BIG THANKS to each and every one of you for helping me out!
cheers.gif

I had the same thing happen with my Husqvarna,The oiler was working without the bar but wouldn't with the bar on.In my case I had the bar on a little cocked and it wasn't quite flush with the saw body and the oil was running down alongside the bar instead of through the bar's oil port and into the groove.It was a new chain too.
mad.gif

Jelly, any indication that the bar is getting too hot? Maybe the paint is turning colors ... or the metal beneath worn spots?

Perhaps the oiling system just doesn't 'fling' oil like older ones? Maybe they've found a way to distribute it better on the bar?
dunno.gif

I know I'd check my machine the same way you did ... but I ran it facing a dry piece of cardboard. Fine oil drops really show up well when they hit cardboard because they darken it fairly quickly.

I don't run a saw very often, but when I do, I set the oiler at 'max' That's the way I was always taught. Bar oil is incredibly cheap, bars and chains are not.

Besides, the wood is often going to end up as firewood and heavy traces of oil isn't exactly going to adversely affect combustion.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

why would you want oil to fling off? if a saw emits so much oil that excess flings off, its just wasted oil. oil does no good when its flung off the chain and bar. the only oil that actually lubricates is what remains on the bar so all the excess oil is just that, excess. it sounds like his saw is set up correctly to me if you can barely see oil comming off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back