K&N Cabin Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just stumbled across these. Has anyone tried them? They do make one for my application. Paying $40 + $12.99 cleaning kit seems like a good deal for 100,000 miles. Yes, they may let more dirt in vs. the paper filter, but I don't really care in this case.

http://www.knfilters.com/cabin-air-filter.aspx

PS -- Sorry -- I didn't realize we had a dedicated Cabin Filter section. Can a mod move this?

Last edited:
Very interesting, first time I've seen them. The material isn't labeled cotton gauze either so efficiency could be respectable still. Filter material is listed as non woven synthetic. Plus plenty of people run with no cabin filters at all so this is better than nothing.

I might actually buy one except my application requires some forcing of the filter into place and could break an expensive filter so it doesn't seal as well. If I break a paper filter I'm not out as much coin.

Meh.. I used a K&N air filter (not cabin filter) and found no difference.. I wont be tempted as the last time I saw my cabin air filter i couldnt believe how disgusting it was.. I cant even fathom the idea of cleaning it.. full or leaves and debris etc.. I guess I just like the brand new clean look of things! I get my cabin filters online for about 6-8 dollars, and change them every 6 months or 1 year.

Cabin filter isn't as importance as engine filter, just buy any decent cabin filter for $5-10/ea and change it regularly, in my case about 3 years 30-40k miles.

Buy a decent quality paper cabin filter on Amazon and vacuum it every 6 months or when it gets dirty...should last for years. KN filters are mostly marketing puffery.

I wonder how different the filter material is from a standard one? I have to admit to heresy.......I have (Successfully) washed a standard filter on a couple of occasions, just because I could. They came out just fine. The only difference might be the K&N "Refresher spray", which is of dubious value.

Personally, I order them on Amazon or buy them when I have a Napa coupon. And I never pay $40.

That's a place they could work ok, but still cost more than a regular one.

Cabin filters are usually good for 30k or 2 years on average. I have seen some go further but maybe those in a drier/dusty area may need sooner. So I doubt it would pay for itself and we know it will not stop as much dirt as a good regular one.

I replace my CAF's every summer. Usually pick up Wix or Purolators on sale for $12.
So..... It would take over 6 years to make up the difference with the cost of the K&N
filter and the cleaning kit. Intriguing but no thanks!

JP

Mine says to replace every year. I typically inspect and replace if needed (or vacuum). The cheapest filter at AAP is $14, and that's the DriveWorks. Fram is $25. The cheapest at Napa is the ProSelect at $13. The Napa Gold is $22. When the time comes, I'm going to try the K&N. It makes sense for me, and I will save trips running around town. They often do not have my application in stock.

Amazon typically has great deals on cabin air filters. A couple of years ago they had cabin air filters on sale for our 07 highlander for $5/each. I bought 10 of them for $50 and got free shipping. Likely this stash will last as long as we care to own the car.

Has anyone considered that the liquid that is used to treat the KN cabin air filter. The people in the car will be breathing some amount of this stuff as it vents into the HVAC airstream off the filter. KN cabin air filter Sounds like a really silly idea in more ways then one.

link to MSDS which indicates the KN cleaner refresh liquid is a hazard to eyes, inhalation, and ingestion....amazing

http://www.knfilters.com/msds/99-6000.pdf

Last edited:
I bought the kn filter for the cabin filter and all I am gonna do is hose it down with simple green, drink a beer, rinse the filter AND then wait for it to dry. I bought it at autoanything for 38.00

I have two cabin filters, when I take one out(every 6 months) I put the other one in. Take the one I just took out and wash it, let it dry and then put it back in the filter box till the next time I change it out. 9 years and they still work great. Come on, it wasn't that long ago that no car came with a cabin filter.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
I have two cabin filters, when I take one out(every 6 months) I put the other one in. Take the one I just took out and wash it, let it dry and then put it back in the filter box till the next time I change it out. 9 years and they still work great. Come on, it wasn't that long ago that no car came with a cabin filter.

ROD

Good job ! You save money and also polluting less (less filters to landfill).

I didn't wash cabin filters, I just slightly tap it on a piece of newspaper on garage floor then re-install with a dryer sheet as pre-filter. Doing this way my cabin filter lasted 5-6 years/60-80k miles.

I think GM quit installing CAFs in the truck line right before they made mine.

BUT, if it were me, i would get a quality one made here in the USA and smell it before you buy it. This will pass air going into your lungs for hundreds of hours.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I think GM quit installing CAFs in the truck line right before they made mine.

BUT, if it were me, i would get a quality one made here in the USA and smell it before you buy it. This will pass air going into your lungs for hundreds of hours.

But in our S2000, the top is down 95% of the time. I use the cabin filter to keep the airways cleaner in the car than they would be without a filter.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back