Would You Run Recaps On Your Pickup Truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re-Caps have experience and are inspected to ensure there are no issues with any defects in the casings. If you are going to have a tire failure, its more likely with a virgin tire and not a recap.

USPS saved millions by running recaps on their entire fleet of mail vehicles.

I wouldn't. I'll skimp on cosmetics and accessories, but never on brakes or tires....

Are these mail order, or handled through a local dealer? Sending back a defective tire can be expensive.

I tried recaps in the 1980's, when it was alleged that the process had improved, and the recaps I got were worse than the ones I used in the early 70's. Two failed shortly after the installation and I got my money back for all four. That was my last experience with recaps.

Figure in what your time and effort in sending back a defective tire will be. If a local dealer can handle it, I would consider trying them, but not if they are mail order.

They're probably marginally better than merely 'riding on the rim' but cheap tires are strictly verboten on any of mine.
I'll pinch pennies elsewhere.

Of course I've no control over the motorists running their dilapidated junk alongside though.

On a big rig, tire carcasses are valuable enough to make this worthwhile. Plus, the technology is mature, and the inspection process is pretty good. But......I see lots of tire snakes/dead caps on the highway. So.....On my personal vehicle? No way, no how. I can change a tire, but I am not about to make my wife change one.

Here's a new process that Treadwright started in 2013. They now have bead-to-bead remolding in some sizes. That means the carcass is fully encased in new rubber, so the sidewall has the Treadwright name.

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20130131/NEWS/130139978/treadwright-adds-bead-to-bead-presses

If you do some googling there are some mighty happy Treadwright customers. There are some unhappy people, too.

186326d1358991966t-new-285-75-treadwright-bead-bead-remolds-image-441015800.jpg

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I wouldn't. I'll skimp on cosmetics and accessories, but never on brakes or tires....

Agree.
No recap tire for any vehicle. You can buy a reasonable good tire for not much more than a recap. You don't want to have a blow out tire on highway speed of 60-70 MPH.

I would consider a retread if it seemed reputable. I guess my biggest question is not the tread staying attached, but more so the handling is since I cannot believe that the differing carcasses would provide similar compliance and ride qualities.

I bought two sets of Treadwright tires over the past 10 years, after doing extensive research both times. People who own and use them mostly agree that they are durable, quality tires with great customer service. Very few stories of failed TR tires or poor service. I found lots of non-owners ranting about the retreads their dad bought in the 1970's, million-mile semi truck retreads, and other straw-man arguments.

Treadwrights are highly regarded in the Jeep community. When I bought the TR's, I was doing a lot of off-road work and little highway driving. The TR's made a lot of sense especially considering the price. I have installed them on a 99 Ranger 4x4, the other a 2003 SuperCrew 4x4.

Tires for the Supercrew were just over $500 for a set of 285/70/17 Wardens - on sale. Another $80 to have them mounted/balanced at Big-O. You can choose casings, so I opt'ed for BFG AT T/A load range 'D' casings. They looked almost identical to BFG's but half the cost. They handled exactly the same as the real-deal BFG's that were on before.

I had one tire (285/70/17 D-load range Warden) split along the center of tread, at about 20k miles. A 4in split that was maybe 1/8" wide. Noticed it when I was rotating tires. I sent them a photo and they immediately sent me a new tire at no charge. It was still drivable and holding air so I continued to drive on it and monitored it for any changes, while waiting for the replacement (arrived 3 days later). They said no need to send the old one back. I kept it for a full-size spare to replace my 10-yr old, too-small spare.

The tires still had 25-30% tread after 4 years and 50k miles when I sold the truck. No funny wear and very little weathering. Felt like I got my money's worth on that set.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

thumbsup2.gif

No
I had one blow out in my 58 yrs in a loaded pickup with rack......could have been real bad day.

Last thing I would try to save a few $ on.

Remember - the ONLY tire worth buying is an overpriced Michelin.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd here we go again.

First- treadwrights are not recaps. They are remolded tires. Huge difference.

Second - when a truck recap throws it's tread, 99.9% of the time it's from the driver running them low and getting hot. The failure rate is often lower for recap tires on 18 wheelers than new tires.

I have no experience with other recaps, but I'll say I'm impressed with treadwrights. Mine wore quickly, because I can't keep my Jeep in alignment.

Mine have been deflated numerous times off road. I have ran them down the highway with NO air in them. The only disappointing part is snow and ice traction - but I got an agressive mud tire. Mud tires don't work in snow and ice.

I'd go for them! Worth every penny ... and then some!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back