1992 Olds 88, cracked radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 1992 Oldsmobile 88 Royale, base model. Series 1 3800 engine, 76,000 miles and some change. VERY neglected.

JB Weld made a valiant effort, but was no match for the crack in the plastic expansion tank of the Olds. Le sigh.

Advance Auto is where I get most of my replacement parts due to their frequent coupon codes.

Right now my list is:
Carquest or ToughOne Radiator $95.90
Carquest by Dayco Upper Radiator Hose $9.09
Carquest by Dayco Lower Radiator Hose $10.49

Prices after 30% coupon, before taxes.
Replace the thermostat and it's gasket also or leave it? This car is being fixed on a very tight budget due to employment status and overall severely neglected state of the car when we got it, it just needs to last a year or two for us.

Side note: any tips for replacing the radiator in this car?

VERY easy job!! I've done a few of them. Just take your time and it'll be a piece of cake.

Just changed the radiator on my brother's '96 Lexus ES300. He was on a tight budget too and we ordered the radiator on Amazon, same brand as this one too and it's worked great so far.

Link to Radiator Here - Click it here. $75.90 & Free Shipping

I love Amazon for car parts, they're usually the cheapest for brand name parts.

You might want to do a cooling system flush before you install the new radiator and hoses.

New hose clamps are a good investment. And be sure to re-tighten the hose clamps a couple of months after initial installation. The hose spreads out under the clamp and after a couple of months the clamp requires re-tightening. If you do not re-tighten them several months later the hose may be loose enough to pop off when the engine is hot.

The flush is a good idea using the old radiator. Heck, use water, you're in the south.

74 bucks on rockauto, maybe 10 to ship it, but a 5% coupon floating around.

The ghetto slow shipping still gets to me in a day or two, hope you'd have similar success.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Replace the tstat while I'm at it, or leave it alone?

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Thanks for the advice so far.

Replace the tstat while I'm at it, or leave it alone?
If it's easy to get too it's probably a good idea.

T-stat is easy peasy. 2 10mm bolts and it's out. Drill a small hole near the edge and locate that hole at the 12 o'clock position. That will help bleed out air bubbles in the intake more easily.

Although, if it's not broke, it's $10 in your pocket. Given the southern location, it's tempting not to mess with it.

If you only need to limp it for a year, you might check out the wrecking yard. Use rockauto to check for compatible vehicles.

I would change the stat as well.It is cheap.Something caused it to crack.A bad engine mount would have pulled on the hose connection and break something( I had that happen).Good idea mentioned regarding the small hole in the new stat, especially if the t-stat is not at the highest point in the cooling system.A necessary procedure on my Dodge 4 cyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back