How's VW reliability these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering three cars to replace my Accord, all around the same price range, low-mileage E90 M3, 2013-2014 IS350 F Sport, 2015 Golf R. Whatever I end up with I'd like to keep for 10+ years, using it as a daily driver and occasional track time.

The E90 M3 speaks for itself, but the fuel economy is really awful. It doesn't seem like there are too many weak points with this car unlike the turbo I6 models (I understand the S65 bearing issues weren't as big as they've been made to seem).

The new IS350 F Sport has been getting outstanding reviews, consistently beating both the current 335i and A4. I'm sure it drives well and will be faultlessly reliable, but I've driven other cars that reviewed well like the G35, but somehow Japanese cars just never feel as good to drive as German cars. This IS350 is always reviewed against the F80 335i, but is it as good as the E90.

Golf R didn't come to mind until recently. To be honest, this car really hits the spot for me. DSG unlike auto trans in the IS350. Good AWD system. I'm a big fan of five door cars for the usability. Seems to be an outstanding driving car based on the reviews. Solid engine with great low and mid-range torque while returning 30mpg. This is the car that seemingly does everything. I have two hang-ups. One is that I'm not sure how grown-up this Golf will feel compared to the other two. The fact that this model has always competed against Sti's and Evo's irks me. I'm past that stage in life now. And VW forums are just awful, the times I've visited them. My biggest concern is long-term reliability. I'm not sure how it'll hold up to 200k miles, even compared to an M3.

Last edited:
I am driving a '94 Corrado with 350,000 miles on it. I'm not sure how many parts, other than body panels and steering wheel, are original. Based on what I read and hear about current VW models, I am not considering any of them.

hotwheels

Unfortunately I personally can't recommend it. My 04' was previously my aunts and has been very reliable. She bought a 2013 VW Beetle TDI in October of 2013 and it hasn't been awful, but it also hasn't been fantastic. I'll list the issues below.

1. Window regulator bolts became loose at about 5,000 miles. The window wouldn't roll up or down without it kind of grinding and sitting crooked. All they needed to do was tighten the bolts
2. A/C sometimes doesn't work. The compressor won't kick on and you have to play with the switches and mess with it and then it'll finally click on. Dealer can't figure it out
3. A/C smells a little funny sometimes, like humid stinky air. Weird.
4. One day engine was running rough, turbo boost gauge was going up and down. Engine wasn't very warm (5 mile drive in winter) but after turning it off and getting out of the car, a burning noise was smelled and the cooling fans were running. It's done this twice that we've noticed it so far. Dealer can't figure it out.
5. Sometimes the push button start doesn't work right away, have to try a couple times
6. Wheel bearings are howling up front (at 20,000 miles). Haven't taken it to the dealership for that yet

It is a very comfortable and quick,Miguel efficient car though. Everything is snug and tight, no rattles and materials seem to be decent quality. I wouldn't buy one.

If your interested in VW reliability, I'd start with google first. I've heard some horror stories about the DSG on Jettas around 2010, if I remember correctly. Just google DSG problems. I was considering a Jetta TDI wagon a few years ago but was scared off by the DSG horror stories and I couldn't convince my wife to learn to drive a manual so I crossed VW off my list. Her previous car was an 2002 Audi A4 3.0 that was ok for about 50k when the CVT needed a replacment and around 80-90k started to nickel and dime me with replacement cats, new throttle body, oil consumption, suspension bushings, engine mount, howling power steering pump, etc. Like you said, German cars do drive nice, but in the end I didn't want to have to worry about spending money and taking it to the shop all the time. With that being said, it's not to say the newer VWs might be better.

Last edited:
Nick1994, here's a diagnosis on your aunt's car. It's a shame that the dealership isn't on top of these things by now:

the A/C problem is caused by a corroded refrigerant control valve. The RCV is a $70 part that fits into the compressor. It requires a evacuation of the system, replacement of the valve in the compressor, and a recharge of the system. No disassembly requried of the system.

the smell from the vents is usually caused by a clogged drain. The drain exits through the firewall and is hidden by all of the heat shield. It simply requires clearing to get the water to drain out.

and the rough running while cold is caused by icing that occurs in the lower intercooler tube. Condensation accumulates and then when it gets cold this water freezes and blocks the air flow. VW came up with a repair but it doesn't work. It is best to just remove the lower intercooler hose, clean it out (along with the gooey oil mess from the crankcase vent) and reassemble. I do mine once a year and usually find an ounce of water or less.

These are all common issues with the newest TDI's.

As for the original posters question,,, Get The Lexus!

Here in Taiwan, VW's, Mercs and BMW's have a bad rep for reliability, though they are commonly bought for "face" reasons.

One theory/story is that the biodegradable plastic components don't hold up in the heat and pollution, so they suffer problems a lot earlier than they do in Europe.

Japanese is where its at.

Last edited:
Hello, Thanks FowVay for the the "quote of the year so far":

"VW came up with a repair but it doesn't work." That one will be tough to beat. Kira

We have an 08 vw rabbit, German made. No issues at all. Has never been to the dealer. So at the 70k mark, I have to say we've been happy.

I was at the bmw dealer and saw a new m4 sitting there. $82k. I'm sorry, is it really >2x better than my 135i (based upon price)? Doubtful. I've always liked the M3, but their pricing appears to be super stupid now. I might understand $55 or 60k. So I can't imagine that s lightly used one is going to be in the correct price range. Maybe I'm wrong...

I've always liked the is, though the -F models have always struck me as a bit gaudy. What has prevented me from ever buying an is is the interior space. It is absolutely beautiful and comfortable, but it is snug. Have you sat/ridden in one?

Golf R from a dollars/value perspective doesn't strike me as the right bet, but it's your money. I might save a few bucks and still get something decent but not all out.

Overpriced,over rated and "German engineering" doesn't mean squat. One of the sorriest vehicles I ever owned was a 1980 VW Rabbit. Purchased it based on CU's evaluation. Never relied on CU again when it came to automobiles.

Properly maintained, VAG cars are just as reliable as any other but neglected they will fail. Proactive maintenance over reactive repairs stop most issues before they start, and, there is a measurable difference in fit, finish and overall build quality between vehicles out of Wolfsburg/Ingolstadt versus vehicles out of Mexico, Brazil or Tennessee.

Use this app to decode your VIN and find out where it was built. One of the main considerations (for me, if I was buying in NA) when buying VAG

What's wrong with the Accord? The 03 and some 04's had to have the tranny injector installed after factory birth, but other than that, they've been pretty reliable.

VW still has its quirks. Lots of issues with water pumps, coil packs, etc. just on the DI Turbo 2.0L.

It wouldn't stop me from buying one but it is good to be capable of doing a few things yourself if you buy a VW or it will be expensive to keep long term.

88k miles on mine and one warranty repair about five years ago.

Otherwise it's been the normal scheduled maintenance with no special requirements above what you'd see with a Corolla, gas, and go.

No proactive or extra maintenance required if you don't count "lifetime" fluids (manual transmission, coolant). 10k OCI, plugs and fuel filter every 60k, air filter as needed, brake fluid every two years. Even the front brake pads on my car are original, rears were replaced at 60k.

I think I've remembered everything...

Originally Posted By: badtlc
VW still has its quirks. Lots of issues with water pumps, coil packs, etc. just on the DI Turbo 2.0L.

It wouldn't stop me from buying one but it is good to be capable of doing a few things yourself if you buy a VW or it will be expensive to keep long term.

I'm told that people with repeated water pump issues likely had the new ones installed incorrectly. Because the pump is located high on the engine, when you replace it and refill the coolant you need to manually pressurize the system with a pump when you add coolant after replacing the water pump.

Also, the water pump on these engines is fairly easy to get to. It's located on the transmission side of the engine, on the front side of the car, just under the intake manifold. Removing it is a touch tricky, but it's far, far less of a pain than if it were in the traditional location buried by a timing belt/chain.

I don't hang out at the VW forums much anymore, but I haven't seen any trend or compiled threads on coilpacks. As far as I can tell they're as reliable on the 2.0T as they are on any other vehicle.

Just my opinion, but if going for reliability and practicality, I think the Chevy Malibu is excellent. It has lots of legroom, reliable, good mileage, good parts base/dealer network and it's American made from a US based company.

The OP is interested in M3s and Golf Rs and there are people recommending Honda Accords and Chevy Malibus?

Is there a hidden post in here that I can't see where the OP expresses interest in mid-size sedans or are you guys posting in the wrong thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back