1991 Buick Park Avenue oil change info...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You shoulda gotta an ACDelco PF47 or a Wix 51040 so you could use this beauty:

FloTool Super Graphite 10604
DSCN1137.jpg

I dunno... Then he might need to own two wrenches, or even worse, a ratchet!

Mostly messing with ya! Almost more surprising that you just have one wrench. Those cheaper sets cost less than individuals sometimes. I would also agree to not bother with an aftermarket drain bolt. If you do try it, thread it with your fingers only. Make sure it goes on smooth.

I believe that I've answered your questions about filters for this vehicle 2 or 3 times now - haven't you been listening to me since I have direct experience with a family owned 1991 Buick Park Avenue?

The filter is located towards the top of the engine, on the passenger's side, directly under the alternator. It can be reached from the top side, but it's much more difficult than going through the wheel well. I've done it from the bottom a couple of times, but wear really old clothing because you will be so far under the car that it will splash all over you.

I hope you got the TG3980 instead of the TG3387a like I told you to do. It will make your next oil change far less difficult than this first one will be. You'll see once you get into it.

Oh, and for the drain plug there's this thing called an adjustable metric wrench that works wonders on bolts that are low torque. It's better know as a crescent wrench. Also, there's not much room in there for any type of filter wrench, so just grow a pair and use your hands with a good pair of vinyl covered gloves for better grip.

You're welcome.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I believe that I've answered your questions about filters for this vehicle 2 or 3 times now - haven't you been listening to me since I have direct experience with a family owned 1991 Buick Park Avenue?

The filter is located towards the top of the engine, on the passenger's side, directly under the alternator. It can be reached from the top side, but it's much more difficult than going through the wheel well. I've done it from the bottom a couple of times, but wear really old clothing because you will be so far under the car that it will splash all over you.

I hope you got the TG3980 instead of the TG3387a like I told you to do. It will make your next oil change far less difficult than this first one will be. You'll see once you get into it.

Oh, and for the drain plug there's this thing called an adjustable metric wrench that works wonders on bolts that are low torque. It's better know as a crescent wrench. Also, there's not much room in there for any type of filter wrench, so just grow a pair and use your hands with a good pair of vinyl covered gloves for better grip.

You're welcome.

Im sorry, I guess I havent been paying attention. So is the TG3980 bigger, longer...whats different than the OEM recommendation? And why is it better. I would be a big nervous using a different filter size.

I ended up returning the TG 3387a for the TG3980, hoping there are no fitment, or any other issues with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back