Motorcraft Diesel Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a 6.0 Powerstroke and I've ask a question or two on here about what oils I should be using in it. To my surprise Motorcraft doesn't get near as much love in the diesel version as it does over in the gas engine forum. I'm just curious why that is? I've never used the diesel version but I have used the regular Motorcraft in my f150 I previously owned and I was very pleased.

So how does it compare to Delo and Rotella 10w30?? I think that's the one I'm most curious about.. Motorcraft comes in 15w40 and 10w30 in my area and its cheap...

Last edited:
You can check out the oil testing results of common diesel oils here http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/HDEO SUMMARYrev2.html

I think it comes down to reputation of popular diesel oils. One of my employers used Delvac in their Duramax and NAPA fleet oil in everything else. I'm in the process of converting to the NAPA oil because of the difference in price by purchasing from their sales ad (9.99 gal). Your best bet is to choose one brand of oil and use it long term to avoid conflicting chemistry.

Originally Posted By: abycat
It's a good oil. delo is a great oil though which I have used in numerous engines for a while.

And at 11$/gal at Fred Meyers!

Originally Posted By: Dufus2
You can check out the oil testing results of common diesel oils here http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/HDEO SUMMARYrev2.html

I think it comes down to reputation of popular diesel oils. One of my employers used Delvac in their Duramax and NAPA fleet oil in everything else. I'm in the process of converting to the NAPA oil because of the difference in price by purchasing from their sales ad (9.99 gal). Your best bet is to choose one brand of oil and use it long term to avoid conflicting chemistry.

And, a new set of tests just posted today:
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated HDEO 2015.html
Kevin

MC HDEO is as good as any other big name product.

For your 6.0L, follow the OEM OCI and buy the least expensive CJ-4 approved lube you can find in either 10w-30 or 15w-40 for your area. It won't matter to the engine in the least.

As to why the MC brand does not feel the love in HDEO as much as PCMO, well that's just plain and simple brand bigotry. Shell has a similar experience with their Rotella being a very favored product, and the Formula stuff ends up viewed as an "also ran". I have run both and found they are as capable as any other product in their market niche. But that is true of a lot of brands. VPB has a very small but faithful following, but the Synpower products seem to be mainstream. GTX is fairly strong in the market place, but Tection Extra is rare, and Hypuron and Elixon are practically non-existent when spoken of here. And so it goes for many brands. It's all favored bias and typically not based upon actual performance, as most any API certified product will do a great job in the proper application for any normal OCI duration.

Last edited:
For years I picked an oil and stuck with it long term, buying it in 55 gallon drums. For the last 18 months I've been trying different oils for one or two oci's each.

The only reason I never tried the motorcraft is the fact that my wally world sells it for $17.99/gallon. I don't want to try it that bad.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
For years I picked an oil and stuck with it long term, buying it in 55 gallon drums. For the last 18 months I've been trying different oils for one or two oci's each.

The only reason I never tried the motorcraft is the fact that my wally world sells it for $17.99/gallon. I don't want to try it that bad.
wink.gif

The jugs at wally world are $17.99 because they are 1.25 gallons. It says 5qts on the front of the jug.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
MC HDEO is as good as any other big name product.

For your 6.0L, follow the OEM OCI and buy the least expensive CJ-4 approved lube you can find in either 10w-30 or 15w-40 for your area. It won't matter to the engine in the least.

As to why the MC brand does not feel the love in HDEO as much as PCMO, well that's just plain and simple brand bigotry. Shell has a similar experience with their Rotella being a very favored product, and the Formula stuff ends up viewed as an "also ran". I have run both and found they are as capable as any other product in their market niche. But that is true of a lot of brands. VPB has a very small but faithful following, but the Synpower products seem to be mainstream. GTX is fairly strong in the market place, but Tection Extra is rare, and Hypuron and Elixon are practically non-existent when spoken of here. And so it goes for many brands. It's all favored bias and typically not based upon actual performance, as most any API certified product will do a great job in the proper application for any normal OCI duration.

So, oil is oil. (as long as it's API approved and meets your vehicle's spec)

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
Originally Posted By: dustyroads

wink.gif

The jugs at wally world are $17.99 because they are 1.25 gallons. It says 5qts on the front of the jug.

Sorry, I didn't notice that. That makes it more reasonable for sure, but still a bit more than delo, delvac and rotella.

Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan
So, oil is oil. (as long as it's API approved and meets your vehicle's spec)

Yes; that sounds vaguely familiar.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ABChop
I think Motorcraft (Ford) oil is quit good.
It's made by Conoco.

I agree, the Motorcraft is a good oil. When I had my 2002 F350, 7.3, no issues at all with the Motor Craft 15w40 and of course the Motorcraft #1995 factor filter. Could get everything at WM for about 65.00

The 6.0's seemed to favor the 10w30 diesel oils over the 15w40 from what a Ford Tech told me, not sure as I never owned the 6.0

Anyway, the Motorcraft is a good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back