% that change their own oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think many people want to mess with it any more. I know among friends and coworkers, I'm in a small minority that does my own changes. They think I'm nuts, but I consider it occupational therapy. There are weeks where I accomplish more in my driveway on a Saturday morning then I do all week at work.

Originally Posted By: subaru1991
The percentage of people who change their own oil? Has it gone down in recent years? My guess would be around 25%.

Probably under 10% now.

Whatever it is, it's alot lower than the statistics of those who change their own oil on BITOG

Assume that 85% of the population is able-body.
Subtract the 0-15yo croud (12%) and 75+yo (5%)
Consider that 50% of that group is female (sorry, Gals that change their own oil are rate) so nix that group.
Minus the 5-10% of able body males between 16yo and 75 that don't own cars....

Heck, even if the pool of people able to change their cars is 25% of the us population... I would be happy. But since 90 of folk do not drive stick any more... not a lot of hope.

I would bet between 5-7%

Considering I ran 'vehicle inspection checks' for college students, some do not even know where to check the oil, let alone change it.

25% thats crazy. I would say less than 5%. Maybe 1%.

If you don't enjoy it like we do then its a pretty big hassle.

My dad used to when he was younger but now its just no fun for him.

It's likely higher than 'normal' amongst BITOG participants.

Oftentimes neighbors will ask "what's wrong with your car?!" when they see my dicking around in the garage.

DIY vs. DIFM continues to slide with the proliferation of $19.99 specials...

Originally Posted By: stranger706
25% thats crazy. I would say less than 5%. Maybe 1%.

Yeah, 25% is way too high now that I think about the whole driving population. But it's got to be higher than 1-5%. Anyone in the industry have any stats on this?

To be fair a lot of young people live in situations where changing the oil and other auto maintenance is not allowed or physically impossible. Many young people don't even know what a manual transmission might be. And whatever is under the hood is a plastic covered mystery.

I change my own oil and will continue as long as I'm able.

I HAVE to change my own oil otherwise i get paranoid about what oil went in or if they forgot to tighten the filter or plug. Plus its fun. Also my mercedes has a canister filter in the engine compartment that can be a little tricky to get to if you have never done it before. I also like to do a little inspection while i'm changing the oil.

On my street of 12 houses I'm the only person who changes his own oil. In fact I'm the only person who pops a hood to check under it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
On my street of 12 houses I'm the only person who changes his own oil. In fact I'm the only person who pops a hood to check under it.

Ask a young person where the hood release might be. Or maybe ask them what it is.

In the US, the service industry is the only industry that has expanded in 20 years as a percentage of GDP. The majority of Americans do not know how to do basic maintenance on cars and houses. This is why future and up coming generations prefer to rent housing and so forth. Today, most Americans just do not do maintenance of any kind.

7% average,i'd say.When i buy a vehicle from someone i ask them to show me how they check the oil (play dumb) and where the filter is.If they cant answer or are unsure in any way,i wish them a good day and walk.

My friends son told his buddys that my car is broke because i have to shift it myself (ok,he's 12yo)and has never ridden in anything other than an auto.
When we were twelve,we could name the engines, trans and general specs of many coveted muscle machines of the 60's-early 70's.Car Craft,Motor Trend and Four Wheel & Off-Road were as highly desired for information as the internet is today.
I feel for our society in that today's youth will be able to accomplish little more than make a living, only to pay a third world dictator led regime of workers a kings ransom to provide them with finished goods and machine parts because nobody(not many) here will be able to do it.

I'd guess 5% max change their own oil these days. I'm late 50s yo and change my on oil. I know only one other person that does so of all my friends and acquaintances. Even folks I know that don't have extra cash still pay to have their oil changed...makes no sense to me. I do it because I like doing it as a hobby and I want it done right, it is not a budget issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That's something I never paid attention to, but now that I think about it, I can't recall ever seeing any of my neighbors changing their oil.

Could be that I simply missed it but after 20 years...? Heck, I'm not THAT self-absorbed

A poster mentioned the $20 oil change deals... That's a tough deal to pass up if you've only limited interest

Can go crazy thinking this thru, but with divorce rates steadily climbing, I wouldn't expect to see a bunch of 40-50 something women on their backs.... Changing oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back