TGMO 0w20 full analysis here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since TGMO is so popular around here I thought i'd post this.

http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/8410-...__1#entry209166

This russian forum does proper full analyses of dozens of oils. Turn on google translate in chrome and it's pretty easy to read. The stats in the report are easy to figure out too.

cST @ 40C: 36.82
cST @ 100c: 8.49
VI: 219
CCS @ -35c: 6433 (I thought maximum should be 6200 for 0w?)
Pour point: -46c
TBN: 8.02
TAN: 1.99
NOACK: 10.3%

Can anyone translate the items above & below NOACK?

Moly: 107ppm
Phosphorous: 753ppm
Zinc: 805ppm
Boron: 2ppm
Magnesium: 11ppm (probably left over contamination from other Mobil oils, same with the Boron)
Calcium: 2176ppm

Originally Posted By: Danno
Assuming Russian TGMO is the same as NA TGMO?

The bottle is from Mobil and a lot of the important stats are all similar such as VI, 40c & 100c cST, TBN & ZDDP/Moly content. This VOA is just more in depth revealing TAN, pour point, CCS & NOACK which is good. A lot of other 0w20 oils have a NOACK in the 13-14% range: http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated 0W-20.html

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Can anyone translate the items above & below NOACK?

Ash content %
NOACK %
Mass fraction of sulphur %

Good forum.

The formula has seemed to change from previous years, it used to be higher in moly and boron...much higher. Now it doesn't seem all that different from Mobil 1, from an additive package perspective. My next oil change is going to be with the TGMO...I have a lexus LS 460 and it takes 9.1 quarts (ouch). I'd love to know how far people are going on this oil...I'm going to try 7,500 miles.

The formula has seemed to change from previous years, it used to be higher in moly and boron...much higher. Now it doesn't seem all that different from Mobil 1, from an additive package perspective. My next oil change is going to be with the TGMO...I have a lexus LS 460 and it takes 9.1 quarts (ouch). I'd love to know how far people are going on this oil...I'm going to try 7,500 miles.

^deja vu^
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Paging Shannow to the white courtesy phone...Shannow, to the white courtesy phone...

Hmmmm...facts on this oil for a change.

Thanks for the link HKPolice

I'm not sure I get your point. Mag1 and Mobil 1 certainly may have different base stocks, but the additive chemistry is quite different, too. Of course, the functional differences will be few, but the chemical differences are there.

Well, if I had a vehicle that needed 0w-20, I'd go for either, depending upon a couple conditions. The Mag1 could potentially be obtained at a cheaper price (some shops up here use it, and larger quantities of Mag1 can be decently priced). So, that gives Mag1 at least one potential edge. If I were looking at extended drains, the Mobil 1 product has a ten thousand mile warranty. So, if I were extending out to that level, particularly during warranty, the M1 would be very attractive.

However, trying to determine which one is "better" or will give your engine more power, better fuel economy, or more longevity, or any of the other buzzwords, will be a fool's errand. In general service in a generic SN/GF-5 0w-20 application, they will be essentially interchangeable and indistinguishable from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back