LT 225/75r16 tire pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im currently aired up 40 psi on my truck tires.Is it better to have them at 35psi or just leave them where its at.Any thoughts

What's the application? Big truck, small truck, loaded truck? When I had my Chevy truck I always kept them at 40 psi.

2008 Dodge Dakota 4.7 4x4 crew.Most times i run empty but the odd times i carry aprox 500 to 800 pounds in the box.Its my personal truck i drive around in

Yes manual and door sill and the 245/70r16s are put away in my shed and i air them to 35 psi accordingly.Those are P rated and swaped for LT

LT tires need more pressure to run their rated load. I would inflate to tire manufacturer's rating. If under inflated, you don't really know how much under the rated load it can run.

On the 225s it says 80psi and there is no way im going to put that in,i figure maybe half that.Other than that for some reason there is no normal psi on this tire except 80 psi nothing else,dont know

Thanks guys,ya i think this make sence 95busa about LT tires on the rated load and under rateing as well.No problem with my 245s on the door sill but like i said about the 225s not saying much on the tire but ya 40 pounds sound right

If I were you I'd run 40psi. Unless you run a heavy load no need to run more than that. A 10 ply tire means it's capable of utilizing 80psi......it's fine anywhere up to that but depending on load 40 is a good average pressure.

Originally Posted By: Indy
Thanks guys,ya i think this make sence 95busa about LT tires on the rated load and under rateing as well.No problem with my 245s on the door sill but like i said about the 225s not saying much on the tire but ya 40 pounds sound right

Your stock P245/70-16 tires @35psi have a Load Limit of 2,094 pounds/tire.

When you switch from P-rated tires to LT-rated tires, the LT tire Load Limit should be 10% less, or in your case, 1,904 pounds/tire (2,094 / 1.1 = 1,904).

Your LT225/75-16 tires @40psi only have a Load Limit of 1,650 pounds/tire - tire pressure is TOO LOW.

In order to achieve the correct Load Limit with the LT225/75-16 tires, you should run them @50psi which will give you a safe Load Limit of 1,940 pounds/tire.

HTH

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

When you switch from P-rated tires to LT-rated tires, the LT tire Load Limit should be 10% less, or in your case, 1,904 pounds/tire (2,094 / 1.1 = 1,904).

Your LT225/75-16 tires @40psi only have a Load Limit of 1,650 pounds/tire - tire pressure is TOO LOW.

In order to achieve the correct Load Limit with the LT225/75-16 tires, you should run them @50psi which will give you a safe Load Limit of 1,940 pounds/tire.

HTH

Ding, ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

That is the correct answer. Match the load. Alternatively, if you can match the load with a lower pressure, match the pressure, so you match the spring rate of the earlier tire. (Note: This alternative doesn't apply for this case! I included it for those who are paying attention to this sort of thing.)

Last edited:
Do you match the pressure to the actual load or to the rated load of the tires you are replacing? That Dakota doesnt weigh 8k.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Do you match the pressure to the actual load or to the rated load of the tires you are replacing? That Dakota doesnt weigh 8k.

You match the Load Limit defined by the manufacturer for the OEM tires.

To do this, you need to know:

- The type and size of the OEM tire specified by the manufacturer - in this case, it is P245/70-16
- The Cold Tire Pressure specified by the manufacturer for the OEM tire - in this case, it is 35psi
- The Load Limit defined by the OEM tire type and size and the pressure - in this case it is 2,094 pounds / tire for the OEM tire

From this, using the Load Limit tables published by the Tire and Rim Association, you can determine the required Cold Tire Pressure to meet the OEM Load Limit - in this case it is 50psi for the LT225/75-16 tires.

Weight of the vehicle is less important than the GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) of the vehicle.

As a check on the calcs above, the GAWR should not be more than 94% of the Load Limit per axle (two tires, in this case). For example, the GAWR for the LT225/75-16 tires should be less than 4,128 pounds ((2 x 1,940) / 4,128 = 0.94 or 94%).

HTH

Hi OVERKILL the reason i bought the 225s is because i was on kjiji and i seen these 4 tires listed at 140.00 bucks and 9,0000 km. on them.So i called this guy and asked if there was a mistake on his price,he said no.I went to see the tires and i checked everything and had the tire shop look at them too..then he said not a problem with these.I bought them in August and installed without a hitch and still rides like a champ (today)I priced one tire at the store and they run 178 bucks per tire.The reason he was selling them is because he said too much tire noise.When tires are new like the set i have on, the shoulder on the tire makes road noise and i knew this would happen so i got used to it..its normal for some tires to do this as my mechanic explained .And i put my 245s away till i need them and still lots of beef on them.I dont think i can get a great deal like that ever again..maybe close but who knows

I dont haul too heavy,and maybe in the future i may do some towing other wise but thank you for all for chiming in on my request.I learned quite a few things here from you guys to clear up some confusion

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Originally Posted By: Indy

HTH

For Lighttrucks and SUV the P-tires wich are B-loadrated in American system are derated by 9%.
LT tires dont need the derating for those cars.
But its true that stiffer tires ( TS 80psi stand for E-load) need higher pressure for the same load then a P-tire wich are less stiff.

Best is to start from beginning and forget the P-tires advice, because its not sertain wich system they used to determine the advice pressure.
For that I need maximum load or loadindex of tire, E-load we already know so 80 psi pressure needed for maximum load up to maximum speed of tire or if lower 99m/h.
So I also want to know the speedcode of your tires (N to Y possible)

From car the exact weighed seperate wheel loads at best, second best axle weighing, but I think we will have to do with the GAWR and GVWR ( Gross axle/vehicle Weight Rating).

Give that here and I will calculate a lowest save pressure with even saver formula then the tire-makers use, and even add a reserve to the loads that still wont give bumping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back