5.4 3V question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone with experience with 5.4 3V engines-
My 250 has a tick from the passenger side, as heard from the cab. I thought it was a cracked manifold. I put a stethescope on each valve cover, and heard the tick on each side, although louder on the passenger side. I think it may be a valvetrain thing. It happens with a warm engine- perfectly quiet on startup and initial driving. I have used mostly motorcraft FL820S, although I put a carcraft on it today. No difference in the noise. Any chance this could be a solenoid? Hoping its that and not a phaser. Any ideas are welcome- although I prefer not to waste time reading "sell it and get a V10, diesel, dodge, chevy,etc...."
Thanks!
John

Last edited:
Could be a solenoid. I think they are quite easy to remove on the 2005 engines. They can be removed with the valve covers in place, just get a new seal before removing as it will get damaged during removal.
On the other hand it could just be slightly noisier phasers as they age. If it's completely quiet at startup and until your engine is warm, maybe try a slightly heavier oil. Worked for me.

TSB 14-0114 5.4L 3V – INTERMITTENT RATTLE NOISE WHILE DRIVING / ROUGH IDLE WHEN ENGINE IS AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE
Publication Date: May 30, 2014

FORD: 2004-2010 F-150
2005-2010 F-250, F-350
2005-2013 Expedition

LINCOLN: 2006-2008 Mark LT
2005-2013 Navigator

This article supersedes TSB 12-7-10 to update the vehicle model years and Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2004-2010 F-150, 2005-2010 F-Super Duty 250/350, 2005-2013 Expedition, Navigator and 2006-2008 Mark LT vehicles equipped with 5.4L 3V engine may exhibit an intermittent rattle noise while driving from idle up to 1200 RPM when the engine is at operating temperature. In severe cases, a rough idle and diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0022, P0021, P0340, and/or P0341 may be stored in the powertrain control module (PCM).
ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
Replace the left and right variable cam timing (VCT) solenoids. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8L3Z-6M280-B
8L3Z-6M280-B VCT Solenoid
7L1Z-6584-B
7L1Z-6584-B Left Side Cam Cover Gasket—14 Bolt Cam Cover
7L1Z-6584-A
7L1Z-6584-A Right Side Cam Cover Gasket—8/9 Bolt Cam Cover
3L3Z-6584-EA
3L3Z-6584-EA Right Side Cam Cover Gasket—14 Bolt Cam Cover
3L3Z-6584-DB
3L3Z-6584-DB Left Side Cam Cover Gasket—15 Bolt Cam Cover
3L3Z-6C535-AA
3L3Z-6C535-AA VCT Solenoid To Cam Cover Gasket

I have one....If me:

First, make sure it's not manifold leak....known issue.

Second, don't be paranoid as these engines were NOT made to be quiet. Make sure it's not fuel injectors (they are loud in a drive thru!!).

Third, before tearing up the whole cam phaser dealio...change your VCT's on each side. MC has redesigned the orafice. I did this....I took the heads off and mine was soptless ans chains and tensioners were a ok. Most people jump to 2k fix when not needed based upon the SOUND of these loud engines.

I totally love everything about my 04....EXCEPT GAS MILEAGE!! But it's an 04 and its a 5.4 3V that weights a lot. Can't have it all. At least not from an 04.

Advice, make sure you need phasers before you do em. Many do not. Side note, mine is about 100k. Has only seen PYB, MC, M1 and MC filter or P1 for its life all in 5-20 flavor. UOA's have been solid.

Thanks for posting the TSB! I had read one before, I guess an older one. This one sounds spot on! I will replace the solenoids.
BREAK
Yeah, I know the engines are noisy, but I hear this over a two chamber flowmaster! I dont think this noise is right- I have driven many modular engines, although this is my first 3 valve. The engine runs really well, and gets about 16mpg highway, which aint bad for a 250 4x4. I was at 17 before I put 33" tires on it.
Thanks all!

The counting bolts on the valve covers is a real thing. There are updated numbers that have less bolts, but bolt onto the same head. I forget what side, long day, but the PCV valve is only serviced with a valve cover. They came out with a new design cover at some point to simplify things, well probably cost less.

BISCUT, what was your engine doing when you changed the solenoids? What did it do after?

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Second, don't be paranoid as these engines were NOT made to be quiet. Make sure it's not fuel injectors (they are loud in a drive thru!!).

Indeed--the only noise that I hear from my 5.4L is the injectors. I have had two 1999 5.4Ls and now a 2010. I only kept the 99s for 100K, but with nearly 145K on my 2010, it is quiet--except for 8 injectors. They are not deafening, but you can definitely hear the opening and closing of them.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: BISCUT

Indeed--the only noise that I hear from my 5.4L is the injectors. I have had two 1999 5.4Ls and now a 2010. I only kept the 99s for 100K, but with nearly 145K on my 2010, it is quiet--except for 8 injectors. They are not deafening, but you can definitely hear the opening and closing of them.

If it was injectors I would hear them all the time, not just at operating temp, right?

Have you checked out your engine accessories? My father in law had a loud tick and couldn't figure it out - we finally tracked it down to either his alternator or A/C compressor (I can't remember right now).

Give them a listen with your 'scope if you can do it without getting caught up in the belt and sucked through the pulleys.

Sorry guys, took me a bit to get back.

Mine had a pretty loud tick so I assumed cam phasers. A lot more reading up (there is a really good thread on F150 forum titled "The Final Repair Guide to 5.4 Cam Phaser Tick/Knock Sound; some 1700+ posts) got me to take it step by step but prepared to change out chains, tensioners, lash adjusters, VCT, etc...

I got it open and it all looked great so I only did the VCT's, both sides. I have 2 pics of my covers off. I don't know how to post pics here so if anyone wan't to see PM me your email and I'll send the pics. It quieted it down quite a bit and has been the same since. That was around 62-65k miles. I'm at 95k now and all good. But it does have a diesel sound.

They are loud engines, IMHO especially 04 and 05. My gas mileage is same, and I almost don't burn any oil over 6k (and I'm guessing 7-8k when I do my next oil change). Awesome truck, love it all except the gas mileage but is what it is.

Before dumping the time and money into phasers, I would also change out the fuel delivery module under the spare tire. Know issue, and replacement costs $60 or so and takes 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back