Ariens snowblower-directional shoot always frozen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Areins snowblower (2 cycle engine, single stage thrower) starts and runs fine. So much that I never repaced the electic start when it died 4-5 yeasr ago. It sits outside in un-heated shed. Normally I have to start the blower, find some warm water and thaw the directional shoot, as it is always frozen from the previous use. How do I get around this? Is there something to lube or spray into the collar to prevent freezing? Maybe I'll try a spray bottle of windshield de-icer? I can't be the only one with this problem. Solutions?

On my single stagers, I take off the chute (usually 2 to 4 machine screws) and put a lot of water resistant, low temp (marine grade) grease on the plastic on plastic areas. The mechanisms don't bind and they don't freeze.

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
On my single stagers, I take off the chute (usually 2 to 4 machine screws) and put a lot of water resistant, low temp (marine grade) grease on the plastic on plastic areas. The mechanisms don't bind and they don't freeze.

That makes sense to me, to freeze, there's gotta be water in there. If you can keep the water out, there's nothing to freeze. I like the idea of a marine grease that won't easily wash out.

I use fluid film on my blower. It has never clogged before but I do anyway. Also put it on the metal where the snow comes in contact with.

Originally Posted By: tgrudzin
Areins snowblower (2 cycle engine, single stage thrower) starts and runs fine. So much that I never repaced the electic start when it died 4-5 yeasr ago. It sits outside in un-heated shed. Normally I have to start the blower, find some warm water and thaw the directional shoot, as it is always frozen from the previous use. How do I get around this? Is there something to lube or spray into the collar to prevent freezing? Maybe I'll try a spray bottle of windshield de-icer? I can't be the only one with this problem. Solutions?

There is grease and the "Snow Shield" spray that keeps snow from sticking to shovels, snow chutes, etc. (Not sure of the exact name, but it maybe Snow Shield).

Have you tried "Silicone Spray" to repel water? My dad had one of these snow blowers and he eventually rebuilt the plastic chutes with plumbers tape and that was an awesome DIY repair

When my Ariens did that, I found that the detent spring on the shoot ring was shot.The shoot was not being properly supported off the main ring.

I removed the shoot and found a metal ring with many hoses and a pin that indents into it. Surface rust and many parts. I grabbed the closest grease I had, Valvoline red grease (for Chrysler products), and applied liberally. I have pictures. I'll post later. I'll report later in the season how it works. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I may have the same Ariens as you, an SS522. I've only used it a few times, but haven't had this chute icing happen. I have read that the detent system can get a little loosy-goosy. I still have to find a proper drive belt for mine given the eBay mail-order one I tried was a no go some weeks ago. I threw this machine up in the loft of my garage for now.

Originally Posted By: JTK
... I still have to find a proper drive belt for mine given the eBay mail-order one I tried was a no go some weeks ago...

Last year I waited three weeks for the shop to order an OEM Ariens belt, as the previous hardware brand were .... Researched for the proper belt on the Gates website. I was able to pick up the belt at O'Rielly auto, it was in stock. You could try O'Reilly directly. That has been on since Jan'13. I'll see tonight if I still have the package from the Gates belt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dufus2
Have you tried "Silicone Spray" to repel water? My dad had one of these snow blowers and he eventually rebuilt the plastic chutes with plumbers tape and that was an awesome DIY repair
What ^ said!

Originally Posted By: Lubener
When my Ariens did that, I found that the detent spring on the shoot ring was shot.The shoot was not being properly supported off the main ring.

I have been working my SS522 a lot lately. Since the missing spring and ball bearing were installed, I had no issues with the chute freezing up any more.

BTW.. I have used the OEM belt 07228600 with dimensions 33.45 X .38 for mine and works great.

For lubing plastic or rubber parts, you can use silicone spray but my favorite stuff is Black Magic Tire Wet or Meguiars' Endurance Tire Dressing.

I wipe my car's weather stripping down with this stuff every fall to preserve it (keep the water from penetrating) and to prevent the doors and windows from freezing shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back