Need oil for Audi 2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a 99 Audi A4 2.8 thats consuming a bit of oil. I'd like to know a good oil I can use to try and cut down on consumption. I think its valve seals as I only see blue smoke on a cold start with ambient temps of -20C or lower. Currently the car has Rotella T6 5W40 that I put in it in the spring thinking she would be due for a change by fall and put a 0W in it for winter. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, this Rotella is burning at a rate of around 1L every 1000kms but barely anything in the summer. Is there a vw 502 spec oil I can use or a good seal conditioning additive I can use to try and slow this down? Currently in my stash I have a few jugs of M1 0w40 and Castrol 0w40 and a couple random litres of GC0w30 and Amsoil 5w40 however being that its -20 to -30 here right now I'll deal with the burning oil until it warms up so I can change it.

Originally Posted By: seanf
Hey guys, I have a 99 Audi A4 2.8 thats consuming a bit of oil. I'd like to know a good oil I can use to try and cut down on consumption. I think its valve seals as I only see blue smoke on a cold start with ambient temps of -20C or lower. Currently the car has Rotella T6 5W40 that I put in it in the spring thinking she would be due for a change by fall and put a 0W in it for winter. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, this Rotella is burning at a rate of around 1L every 1000kms but barely anything in the summer. Is there a vw 502 spec oil I can use or a good seal conditioning additive I can use to try and slow this down? Currently in my stash I have a few jugs of M1 0w40 and Castrol 0w40 and a couple random litres of GC0w30 and Amsoil 5w40 however being that its -20 to -30 here right now I'll deal with the burning oil until it warms up so I can change it.

You will hardly find any better oil than T6 for that situation considering area where you live (cold).
Anyway, if problem are valve seals, leave car idling for few minutes after driving it. Than pump sam gas, and see whether blue smoke will show up. If valve seals are the cause, it will show blues smoke after idling several minutes regarding whether engine is cold, hot etc.

Crankcase breather is brand new as of a year ago. It never smokes any other time than a cold start however you can smell a bit of oil in the exhaust when you rev it up after idling for a few min, no smoke tho. I thought the rotella was a bit thick for starting in -20C esp when my wife has it at work not plugged in, or its even cold than that. It never consumes any other time, only when cold and I don't want to pull 4 cams to do 30 valve seals when I paid $900 for the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back