'10 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8. 6k - Pennzoil Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of a weekend/vacation/bad weather vehicle, 4.5 years old with 20k on it. I changed thefactory fill at 2000 miles, then it's been a change every year with whatever synthetic is on sale. Usually ends up being 4-5k on an oci.Lots of these Jeeps burn oil, not mine. This run saw a lot of summertime idling on the trails.

'10 Jeep Wrangler
Miles on Unit 20,500
Miles on oil 6,000
Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30
Bosch Distance Oil Filter
6 qt sump
No make-up oil added, still full on the dipstick.

Blackstone Comments:
Thanks for the notes. It sounds like you're taking pretty good care of this engine, and these results
don't point to any major issues. We did find some high copper and silicon, but those could still be residual
from wear-in. When the engine is new, it leaves a lot of excess copper in the oil, from brass/bronze parts
wearing in, and silicon, from sealers. Normally, we expect that to be gone by the third or fourth oil change,
but sometimes it lingers a little longer. These should improve next time. The TBN is good at 3.9, but try
another 6,000-mile oil run to monitor.

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 14
COPPER 42
LEAD 0
TIN 4
MOLYBDENUM 63
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 2
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 75
SILICON 15
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 2375
MAGNESIUM 21
PHOSPHORUS 689
ZINC 906
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 56.8
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.29
Flashpoint in °F 410
Fuel % < 0.5
Antifreeze %0
Water%0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 3.9

Last edited by a moderator:
The 6000 mile OCI didn't hurt it in the least. Especially with no usage and a 6 qt sump, it likely could go longer. What kind of oil went in after the Ultra came out? Thanks for posting.

Replaced with Alisyn Prodrive 21, Type 6, 0w-20. I used a Mopar filter this time, I used to get a lil clatter on startup sometimes, so far now, no noise at all. My neighbor has an 08 or 09, when he starts it, it sounds like a pot full of forks for a couple seconds.

Last edited:
Nice report. You are lucky because a good amount of people have issues with these vehicles. I do love Jeeps. LOL.

Last edited:
You are very lucky to have no consumption this far.

My dad has this engine in his 2009 Rubicon. 32k on the clock and it consumes 1 quart every 2500-3000ish. Going up in weights didn't seem to help either. Its had synthetic its whole life so I am going to try PYB to see if consumption slows down.

1 qt for 2500 miles isn't too bad really. My Mini burns a half qt for every 1k. I look at it as I'm constantly refreshing the oil, so I only change once every 10k, sometimes topping off with PYB, instead of more expensive BMW LL-01.

Thanks for sharing this report mertero1! As Blackstone has reported, everything looks good. We would not hesitate recommending the continued use of the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus Technology. - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Thanks for sharing this report mertero1! As Blackstone has reported, everything looks good. We would not hesitate recommending the continued use of the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus Technology. - The Pennzoil Team

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back